Workout Updates

>> Thursday, December 04, 2008

Yeah, yeah, I know. “Steve’s ACTUALLY going to talk about swimming, biking, and running?! No freakin’ way!” Just shut it.

Swim: I’ve been swimming about once a week. Last week, I did 2000 yards in 35:35 (1:46 / 100). I’m getting smoother in the water. Yesterday, I did intervals: 12 x 100s with 20 seconds heavy breathing rest. I did my first 100 in 1:27, and that was my fastest 100 ever! After doing all 12, I still averaged 1:30.5 / 100. That’s not too shabby for me! I was pretty happy.

After the swim, Andrea (the swim coach at the Y) told me that I should try swimming the distance of my early-April half Ironman in intervals. That’d be 20 x 100. I wanted to tell her that she, and all of her ideas, were evil. Instead, I just figured she was right, and that 20 would be a good workout. So I’ll try that in about a month.

Bike: Ummm, yeah. Let’s just move on...

Run: I’m still nursing a sore heel. It’s been doing really well lately. I’ve learned that when I negative split a run, it’s good for my heel – I ease into the run, and start picking it up once I’m all warmed up.

Two days ago, I ran 8 miles in 51:52 (6:29 / mile). And tonight I ran a 5 mile tempo run in 30:41 (6:08 / mile). Tonight’s run was a chilly one: it was 15 degrees with a -1 windchill. (For my Celsius friends, that -9 air temp and -18 windchill.) As soon as I got in the house, I grabbed a camera. Notice all the sweat, and the little ice crystals around the corners of my mouth:



I’ll be starting a training plan shortly for a half-marathon in late January. Then, I’m thinking about another half-mary in February. And after that, it’s solid training for New Orleans 70.3 Half-Ironman in April! I’ll post my training plans in a couple of weeks.

28 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances 7:30 PM, December 04, 2008  

i think it's colder where you are... although it's pretty cold here too... great job on the swimming,, hope the heel keeps cooperating

BreeWee 7:32 PM, December 04, 2008  

SO glad you had a nice sub 0* run... actually I hope your heal felt A LOT better today than usual!!

YOU are invited to train here in the snake free warmth anytime, just send me an email that you are coming, or show up on my door step... ha ha...

STEVE you have made me laugh A LOT this season and I am so thankful for your blog!!

JT 7:46 PM, December 04, 2008  

You look like a crazy homeless man :-)

Chic Runner 7:50 PM, December 04, 2008  

You are way to crrrrrrazy, and you forgot to say NOTICE MY GLASSES FOGGED UP.... unless that's normal for you. ha ha.

Marlene 7:58 PM, December 04, 2008  

Thanks for the Celsius conversion - that's cold, even for me! BRRRR!

Great pic - better get used to this.

Anonymous,  8:00 PM, December 04, 2008  

That's cool! ;-)

Rodrigo Stulzer
http://stulzer.net

Missy 8:33 PM, December 04, 2008  

Yummy, frozen boogers!

Judi 8:39 PM, December 04, 2008  

the swimming is good. i am working hard in the pool these days - and my IM is in AUG!!! my best 100 so far is 1:23 - :)

good job on the running. i do not want to run in MSP at all.

Amy 8:46 PM, December 04, 2008  

Hey Steve - I'm KK's sister Amy. I'm doing the New Orleans 70.3. Should be fun!!!! Great post, as always.

KK 8:58 PM, December 04, 2008  

Nice swimming! I hate doing any more that 10 100s at any given time, so you are founded to be pissed at Andrea for suggesting
20. The nerve!

The bike part was hilare.

You are brave to battle the cold.

nice workouts!

Unknown 9:11 PM, December 04, 2008  

Love the ice crystals. With winter here and I let the beard grow in and if I do more then 5 miles in this weather I always seem to have ice frozen around my mouth.

Jess 9:13 PM, December 04, 2008  

Oh sweet baby jesus, is that the temp I'm gonna have to run in while I'm in MN? Yikes! I don't know if I'm tough enough!

Mel 10:05 PM, December 04, 2008  

Ha this crack me up...BECAUSE the very first time I visited your blog you had frozen snot and ice hanging from your face and here i come to visit again and see ice on your face..without the snot (thank God:)...way to be tough and get out there in the cold...I am still be a pussy:)

Anonymous,  10:21 PM, December 04, 2008  

That is a stupid temp to be outside running in - absolute madness!!!!!!!!! You truly are nuts... that's why we love reading your blog lol

Maggs 10:23 PM, December 04, 2008  

That picture makes me cold.

X-Country2 10:32 PM, December 04, 2008  

Good thing you have those glasses! Wouldn't want to be running down the street and not be able to see.

Sarah 10:43 PM, December 04, 2008  

Due to that picture I will never go outside again.

Lisa T 12:03 AM, December 05, 2008  

I'm thinking maybe your heel doesn't hurt because it's so freakin' cold there that it gets iced while you run!

Julianne 1:06 AM, December 05, 2008  

Burrrrr! Just looking at your photo is giving me the chills!!!! And I thought 45 degrees was cold!

Anonymous,  1:42 AM, December 05, 2008  

Seriously...did you have to post that? Thank you for the brutal reminder of what I have to look forward to when I travel back to that frozen state in a week!! I better start packing the winter gear now...

Mel's Blog.... 4:55 AM, December 05, 2008  

Ahhh! Your back to tri training! At least you're burning off some holiday calories, right?

duchossois 5:53 AM, December 05, 2008  

Frigid weather training is a filter that sorts the real runners from the recreational ones.

Anonymous,  6:40 AM, December 05, 2008  

Brrr. You had a cold run for sure. Great job. Way to get back in the pool too. Can't wait to read about your training plans.

Erica Ortiz 10:09 AM, December 05, 2008  

I don't know how you do it. Cold weather makes me want to hybernate. And when I say cold, I mean 30s... that's cold here.

Michelle 11:44 AM, December 05, 2008  

YIKES and BRRR It be cold out there dude!! But, still you run!! I love that!!

Keep up the great work Steve!!!

Formulaic 12:10 PM, December 05, 2008  

Way to go captain Negative split!

I like the pics. Keep it coming. Make sure you take care of the heel.

Any more thoughts on a Marathon.

Lindsay 5:23 PM, December 05, 2008  

That definitely makes me cold, seeing the ice crystals. Hardcore, for sure.

I suggesting finding a 50 meter pool prior to the 20x100... it'll make the whole thing seem better. And, I personally get nauseous doing that many flipturns.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.