Does Shoveling A Quarter-Mile Path Count As X-Training?

>> Saturday, December 06, 2008

Or, “Another Snowy 'Speed Saturday' Workout.”

First things first: last night, Mike (Pharmie’s brother) came into town, so we all went out to “Tavern on the Avenue.” We destroyed a plate of spicy chicken nachos:



Then we headed for “Big Buck Hunter.” I LOVE that game. As soon as they have that for the Wii, I’m getting a Wii! (and that game, of course)


Matt killing things

I didn’t understand why they needed scantily-clad women holding fake sawed-off shotguns to tell us where to shoot. Oh well. I guess I really didn’t mind.



Soon, my “Schlumpburger” arrived. Yes, that’s sour cream and chives on top. And yes, it actually came with a Bud:



Then Pharmie had to play some Southpark pinball. She LOVES pinball. She killed Kenny, and the machine called her a bastard. Seriously.



There was some team pool playing, and after a key shot by Steph, Borsch lined up for the win against Mike and Matt:



We finished and all headed out into the snow.


Pharmie and I in the front.
And Steph, Mike, Borsch, and Matt L-to-R in the back.

We got home and tried to get Ella drunk, but all we got was a strange photo that kinda looks like a “cat-lady’s Mich-Golden ad”:



Fast-forward a few hours to this morning. We woke up to a total of about 1.5 - 2 inches of fresh snow (on top of the half-inch we got last weekend). Trying to run intervals FAST on a slippery surface sucks.

I showed up to the track with my necessary goodies: camera, shades, YakTrax, and a shovel:



Yes, a shovel; I brought a flippin’ shovel to the track.

Look at all that snow. I shoveled a path all the way around the track so Jen and I could run intervals. Jen showed up, and we were freezing ready to run:



I have A LOT more photos of a shoveled track and a crazy, windy, snowy workout! I’ll put those up shortly.

(p.s. Jen just started blogging. She qualified for Boston this year, so track her progress here. I'll be back in a few days with more CRAZY photos from the snowy run. Now, I'm off to buy an ugly Christmas sweater for an "Ugly Christmas Sweater Party!")

28 comments:

joyRuN 11:47 AM, December 06, 2008  

I'm impressed you were able to run intervals after the Schlumpburger! That looked like an extra 10lbs in your lower GI tract.

Kelly 12:28 PM, December 06, 2008  

NO triathlete, no matter how often they train, should be able to eat like you do! I'm so jealous!

KK 12:30 PM, December 06, 2008  

I heart nachos and beer that comes with a meal. Yes, shoveling counts as x-training. way to go-you are dedicated!!!

Unknown 1:42 PM, December 06, 2008  

Shoveling always counts as cross training. Annoying cross training, to be exact.

Anonymous,  1:49 PM, December 06, 2008  

You shoveled a track? To run sprints? THAT is dedication.

Totally counts as cross training!

J 2:02 PM, December 06, 2008  

I should have thought to bring a shovel to the track when I did my repeats at the track over thanksgiving!

GoBigGreen 2:14 PM, December 06, 2008  

Steve:
Wow...the wind alone plus the shoveling. Wasnt an easy day today.
At least the sun is out!

Calyx Meredith 2:22 PM, December 06, 2008  

Your shoveling needs a wacky name like the crossfit workouts have. THEN it qualifies.

J~Mom 3:17 PM, December 06, 2008  

You guys have so much fun! Cracks me up.

Mel-2nd Chances 3:19 PM, December 06, 2008  

wow... shovelling a track means you're pretty hardcore. most people would have ditched the speedwork or running for that matter. That's awesome. However, i think you have sent the snow north to Toronto.... not cool. :(

chia 3:49 PM, December 06, 2008  

That pub looks like my local fav spot! SP pinball is seriously brilliant. Pharmie did the right thing. You bastard!

Darcy Franklin 5:20 PM, December 06, 2008  

OMG! I am hosting a Tackiest Holiday event to for my neighborhood. I would love to see what sweater you come up with.....Any chance my hubby could borrow the goods for next Friday???

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 5:22 PM, December 06, 2008  

while you were out running intervals, I was turning over in my warm bed, along with Hubby and two of our three, non-beer drinking cats....

nwgdc 5:34 PM, December 06, 2008  

I think you should ask for a new stocking cap for Christmas. That hat went from sweaty workout to dinner last night, and then back to sweaty workout this morning. Hopefully you change your underwear a bit more frequently :)

Besides the Frozen 13.1, any other plans for spring events?

X-Country2 5:42 PM, December 06, 2008  

I think I have a food hangover just from looking at that burger. :o)

Way to kick winter's butt!

Anonymous,  6:37 PM, December 06, 2008  

You guys are hardcore! Great job.

Judi 6:58 PM, December 06, 2008  

steve, you always make me hungry for crap food when i read your blog!

duchossois 7:36 PM, December 06, 2008  

You shoveled a path around the track?!?! I usually try to run enough warm-up laps to pack down a little path before trying to run intervals. It doesn't work all that well, but I am too lazy to actually shovel a path.

Unknown 9:42 PM, December 06, 2008  

I could not survive the Midwest winter without my YakTrax.

C 7:32 AM, December 07, 2008  

I know I shouldn't complain, but I covet your food. For real. I've been eating pasta for almost three months straight and it's just about killing me.

I need a dead cow on a bun, STAT!

Shannon 7:57 AM, December 07, 2008  

I'm done reading your blog and still keep going back to the burger picture! What's up with that?!?

I WANT THAT BURGER!!!!!

Shoveling doesn't exactly count, but good workout. :)

RunToTheFinish 8:42 AM, December 07, 2008  

I have tried the foam roller and i'm ashamed to admit that I would prefer to suffer through my 20 miles than use it..seriously that hurts

Soapin' Cindy 8:54 AM, December 07, 2008  

You are truly dedicated...sheesh..shoveling a track...

Jess 2:08 PM, December 07, 2008  

Bumpy cans! That's what we call MGD. We dont' get it here in FL, though. So sad.

Trishie 6:05 PM, December 07, 2008  

the cat does NOT look amused ;) .

CoachLiz 6:58 AM, December 08, 2008  

OMG! I have to host an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party!!!

GP 10:31 AM, December 09, 2008  

Shoveling any distance of path is more than cross-training. It's like sprint-intensity-uber-weight-training-and-back-strain training. And I think you get a gold star for it too.

RBR 11:19 PM, December 10, 2008  

Dude! You are so HARDCORE! I am from California, if it dips below 50 we close the schools.

I have been crazy busy and I never congratulated you on the Endurance Blog of the year. You rock!

Oh, and i am with Kelly, it makes me slightly crazy what you can get away with eating. I am training for an Ironman and still wind up at Jenny Craig!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.