Part Two of the Waseca Triathlon

>> Thursday, July 31, 2014

So I left off in my Waseca Triathlon race report just after I had finished. I ran back to just before the finish line to cheer on the others. This was the first thing I saw:


My mother-in-law hanging out with 11-week old Charlie!

In just a few minutes, Matt came charging to the line. He had a guy closing FAST on his tail! Look at the determination on the face of the guy behind him:




I was shouting "GO MATT! He's gaining on you!"


Then I saw the gym shorts and realized he was a relay runner. Sorry for the scare, Matt.

Matt and I hung out and played with Henry.

In the meantime, Justin and his family were heading home. Justin did the Lake Marion Tri with me a few times, and his wife is a college friend of my wife. He finished just behind Lilla for 4th in our age group (and he out-biked me!). Here they are leaving with his train of 4 boys:


Kelly pushing the youngest, then Justin, then 3 more boys in green, orange, and yellow!

As we were waiting for our ladies to get done with their 34 mile rides, we cheered in the other athletes. I have to share this next photo: Ben hopped off his bike and started running in the wrong direction. Everyone (including me) said "No, go THIS way!" Ben, apparently fed up with the wind on the bike, responded with "Yeah, but my CAR is THIS way." Everyone laughed as seen in this photo:


(Except for the guy in gray. He didn't find it funny. He finds nothing funny.)


Pharmie coming back!




The long run back to T2.


Angela (Matt's fiancee) was just behind Pharmie!
(Angela started 6 minutes behind Pharmie, but had a 3 min faster ride.)





The girls now had a 2-loop run to complete (4.4 miles / loop). We figured Angela would pass Pharmie before the 2nd loop, and sure enough, she came running past the park first:


I caught her stopping to walk just after she talked to Matt (over her shoulder).


Running off with 4.4 miles left!


Pharmie was just behind Angela! I literally turned around after Angela ran off
to see Pharmie. She was throwing trash to her brother - she was eating a LOT!
Breast-feeding and racing takes a lot of calories!




Running off and eating/smiling.

So we went off to the finishline to wait. Ben came through first and shot me with his double finger guns while floating:




Angela heading to the finish after a barefoot high-five from Henry!


Cute smiles all around.


Mama coming in the distance!


Looking for that high-five from a long distance.




Around the corner to the finish!

So I think Matt got a race PR in the Sprint (and a Clydesdale win), and the 2 girls did great in the 1/3 Iron. Pharmie finished as the 3rd Athena, and Angela was 4th in her age group! (Angela was 5 spots ahead of Pharmie overall.) Pharmie would have actually have won her age group had she registered as an age grouper and not as a post-baby-weight Athena. (There was one 30-34 female who beat her, but that woman was the 3rd female overall so she would have been wiped from the age group listings.)

Pharmie's Mom had went to her car with Charlie for a while, and they both rested. When they got back as the race was wrapping up, Charlie was in a good mood:




Pharmie getting her age group medal!


Henry walking back to the car with my parents. Thanks Grandpa Dale,
Grandma Connie, and Grandma Monica for hanging out with the boys during the race!!

If you missed my race report from Monday, click here to check it out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.