Pharmie and I Like to Nap and Race...

>> Thursday, October 08, 2009

...at the SAME time.


Pharmie’s yawning...


...and I’m catching a little shut-eye.

Yep, those are 2 actual, official photos from the TC 10 Mile and the TC Marathon from this past weekend. Good stuff! Here’s one of me at mile 4 feeling good:



Remember in my race report (2 posts down) how I passed a guy as I was running past my cheering section and he gave me the “stink eye?” I mentioned that guy came back to pass me before the finish. Well, here he is crossing the line just in front of me. We had the same official time, but he clearly finished first. (Frankly, I’m amazed we had the same finish time - this looks like more than 1 second to me...)



Emily (someone I “know from the internet”) snapped a photo of me running by just before mile 5. I had just pulled ahead of Doug (in the bright yellow) after talking with him for a bit - Doug and I met at a 10K a few weeks back.


Thanks for the photo, Emily!

Gary from Charities Challenge was a welcome sight for weary eyes at mile 9.25! He grabbed a LOT of photos of runners! You can see them all here if you’d like. I have a few of his that I’d like to share:


Me running by


LOTS of 10 Milers running the last mile


Ben and I walking past Gary’s “stand” once we grabbed our outfits


Ben and I with Jeanne and Roxann


In my mind, this guy ran the whole race doing this ;)


This guy’s done TC before - JUGGLING the entire way!


We noticed lots of EMS folks helping runners across the line.
Pharmie actually gave the women in the bandana her mylar blanket.


One last photo of Pharmie, Mike, and I as we were headed home!
Thanks for the photos, Gary!

Oh, and speaking of the farm animals, we DIDN’T make it into the paper this year, but we DID make it on their website. If you’ll remember, 2 years ago, I was seen here:



Mike (the pig) was PISSED that I was the only one that made it in the paper in 2007. Well, this year, only part of my arm made it on the newspaper’s website, while most of Mike’s “face” made it on:


Caption across the top of the image: Gaining momentum from the high-fives from a cow, pig, chicken and duck, a runner heads down hill to the finish line.

Problems with that caption:
1.
He was at mile 25.8 of a marathon. We were able to offer him NO momentum at that point.
2. “Duck?” We had no duck. We had 2 chickens.
3. At that point (as the photo clearly shows), he’s still running uphill. The downhill doesn’t start for another few hundred feet.
4. Downhill is spelled "downhill," not "down hill."

I kid. The newspaper photographer made up for it by taking these final 2 awesome shots of the finishing area:





20 comments:

Missy 4:48 AM, October 08, 2009  

We need to buy you some new shorts, the one's from 1984 have seen better days;) Always love pics when both feet are off the ground!

Anonymous,  6:58 AM, October 08, 2009  

The yellow shorts kill me!! way to cheer all the others on. Looks like a great race.

Nat 7:46 AM, October 08, 2009  

Phew. For a minute, I thought we had another shot of pharmie throwing up!

Kim 7:54 AM, October 08, 2009  

steve, do you wear underpants under those shorts or do you free ball?

Jess 8:03 AM, October 08, 2009  

Haha love the pictures and the costumes as always!

Steve Stenzel 8:04 AM, October 08, 2009  

Free ball. Is there any other way?

Georgia Snail 8:27 AM, October 08, 2009  

Free balling....hence the phrase "bowl full" of sunshine....

IronVince: IM WI 2009 and Beyond 9:20 AM, October 08, 2009  

Do you think the muscle guy in pic #10 told his mom, "I wanna be a pirate this year?"

RunningLaur 9:29 AM, October 08, 2009  

What a great photo-description of the whole event.

The big tough guys both having crotch tattoos has to be the best part though. So classy.

Julia 10:33 AM, October 08, 2009  

haha, that pic of the guy flexing his arms made me almost choke on the water I was drinking.
Loved all the photos! I'm glad your arm made it onto the website, haha :)

B.o.B. 10:37 AM, October 08, 2009  

As much as I love the farm animals, I would like to thank your for the muscled eye candy this AM.

Congrats on your race and happy belated birthday to Pharmie! You guys are awesome. Oh and the run looks very scenic.

The Boring Runner 1:14 PM, October 08, 2009  

Whoa, that tattoo muscle guy would give you a run for your money in a nipple contest. Wowza.

libgyrl 2:56 PM, October 08, 2009  

turns out Muscles (as I cheered to him on Sunday) is a friend of one of my running friends! no wonder he smiled at me (us)...

MtngirlinCali 5:58 PM, October 08, 2009  

Seeing you in the Bowl of Sunshine just makes me incredibly jealous that I lack your impressive inner-thigh clearance. (ITC) Congrats on the race and kudos for cheering everyone on again this year!

Coach Liz 7:57 PM, October 08, 2009  

OMG, those tattoo guys have tats down near their nether regions. THAT HAD TO HURT!!!

Great photos from the race.

X-Country2 9:58 PM, October 08, 2009  

Is that leather guy for real?! Wow.

Casey 7:41 AM, October 09, 2009  

Those two guys were the only two participants in the Pump-and-Run Terrible Tattoo Race.

Sadly, they both lost.

Anonymous,  8:26 AM, October 09, 2009  

Pasty and white where two words that commonly come to mind with your blog, not tool. Someone should have done that guy a favor and beat him to within an inch of his life.

Matt

Melissa 10:10 AM, October 09, 2009  

oh my gosh, the guy flexing and running. I so know someone like that. HAHA. Great pics from a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.