Chisago Lakes Triathlon!

>> Sunday, July 30, 2006

I’m coming to you live from 99 degree Chisago City, just off choppy Chisago Lake. I finished a modified Sprint distance triathlon a few hours ago (.25 mile swim, 20.6 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run [it was supposed to be a 15 mile bike, but it had to be lengthened due to road construction]), and Sarah is currently out on the run leg of her half Ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). So I have a few minutes to get you up to date on the action that has taken place today.

We scoped out the lake last night during race packet pick-up. The lake was HOT. I could have brought soap and shampoo and had a bath. It was a big lake, but not so huge that it was scary. We left the lake, stopped by a bakery and antique store, and headed home for a good nights sleep.

The alarm went off at 3:55 am, and we were up and at ‘em. We loaded the car, I took care of the bikes (that’s always my job), and we were on the road at 4:40 am. KDWB was playing slightly older songs, which never happens. They usually over-play the 6 most current songs, and won’t touch anything that is more than 3 weeks old. So when Kanye West came on with “Gold Digger,” I was ecstatic. I have never, repeat NEVER, had a bad day once I’ve heard that song. So I knew everything was going to be all right today. And it was.



We unloaded our stuff and got our transition areas set (I was #678, and Sarah was #168). The lake was a little choppy, but it wasn’t horrible. The breeze was causing some waves, but the wind seemed like it would be more damaging on the bike than in the water.


The water as it got worse later in the day


The air was warm, but not as hot as it was for my last triathlon. I was ready with my patented hydration system:


For only 3 easy payments of $19.95,
you can learn the secrets of the patented
“Stenzel Hydration System™”.
But seriously, these are all mine.
I drink like a camel and piss like a racehorse.


I hopped into the water and said “Hello” to the lake with a nice little pee. I was ready to swim, although I’m not a good swimmer. I went off in wave 14, and was kicked in the jaw on the left side of my face about 2 minutes later. This concerned me, because I’m not a good swimmer. I turned around at the yellow buoys and headed back to shore. It was still going to take me a while because (have I mentioned) I’m not a good swimmer. I ended up finishing the swim in 11 minutes, 19 seconds. Then I headed up quite a nice hill to the transition area.

I grabbed my bike and bike paraphernalia, and away I went. It was a more friendly bike ride than the Lifetime Fitness triathlon 2 weeks ago. It was windy, and getting windier. My first 10 miles I completed in 28 minutes and 47 seconds, which averages almost 21 mph. I was going to try to finish as fast as I could – hopefully as close to 1 hour as possible for the bike. That would be nice and speedy. But then we turned into the wind, and everything slowed down a little. No worries.

I got in from the bike, threw on my running shoes, and headed out onto the run. I really wanted to try to go out harder on the run and keep it up the whole way through. I think I succeeded! I did my first mile in 6 minutes and 58 seconds. I haven’t gone out that fast in years! This was my fastest 5k since cross-country in high school (and that’s including 5k races, not just the 5k split in a triathlon). I may be slow, but I’m a proud, slow man!

Probably the best thing about today’s triathlon was the snacks at the end. The Apple Duathlon earlier this year had some GREAT pizza waiting at the finish. Today, they had Swedish pancakes, Swedish Fish, and all the other usuals, which gave the Apple Duathlon a run for its money.


Yum-a-dum-dum!


Well, I should put my computer down and wait for Sarah to come in and cheer her on. You can check out her rundown of today’s events on her blog. All of the sweet, sweet pictures of her on her blog are courtesy of yours truly.

Results:
• Swim: (0.25 miles) 11:19
• T1: 3:05
• Bike (20.6 miles) 1:04:24
• T2: 0:59
• Run (3.1 miles) 22:05
Total = 1:41:53

Notes:
• Averaged over 19 mph on the bike (again)
• Averaged around 7:10 pace on the run (and shaved over 1 minute off the run from LTF!)
• Finished 15 out of 39 in age group
• Finished 93 out of 311 in male finishers
• Finished 115 out of about 668 overall

More photos to come once I get the official race photos! Stay tuned! And way to rock the half IM, Sarah!! I’m so proud of you!!


p.s. We’re home now. Sarah finished her half IM in just over 7 hours. She’s pretty much the biggest rockstar I know. I used to know Tommy Lee, but we had a falling-out, so now Sarah’s the #1 rockstar in my life! This was her first triathlon of this distance! Check out what she has to say about it on her blog. Sarah and I just finished up a nice nap (no sex, just napping. Stupid sore muscles from the triathlon – ruining my sex life). The news said that it was 99 degrees today (that’s 110 with heat index) with 20 mile-per-hour winds. Not as bad as 101 degrees with no wind I guess! What a great day!

1 comments:

E-Speed 9:40 PM, July 30, 2006  

great job! Like the new haircut! That alone probably shaved some time off the run ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.