Dear Squats, You Can Kiss My Sore Ass

>> Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, I did “Cindy’s Younger Sister” for the first time. Get your mind out of the gutter - it’s the name of a Crossfit workout; I didn’t have sex with anyone. I cleared a spot in my garage to do this workout. So YES, I am now “that guy” who exercises in his garage. Well, I guess I need a few more things to OFFICIALLY become “that guy:”

• Tee-shirt (with the sleeves ripped off) that doesn’t quite cover my belly
• Cut-off jean shorts, ragged and worn
• “Journeys Greatest Hits” blaring
• My car up on blocks in my driveway with the engine block hanging from a nearby tree
• A haircut that is DANGEROUSLY close to a mullet

Anyway, “Cindy’s Younger Sister” goes like this:

• 5 pull-ups
• 10 push-ups
• 15 body-weight squats (nice and deep)
• AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 10 minutes

I cleared out one stall in the garage so I could do the push-ups and squats:



And then I lodged a thick piece of metal conduit (NOT in use - it has no wires running through it) between 2 rafters so I could do the pull-ups:



I lowered the garage door to 1 foot off the ground so I didn’t freak out the sweet old couple who lives across the ally. I started my watch, and I was off. After 2 rounds, I was breathing REALLY hard. After a couple more, I had to start taking a break after 3 pull-ups before I could do 2 more. It got ROUGH. And near the end, my legs were BURNING. It was a pretty good workout for just 10 minutes of work! Here are my times for my rounds:

• Round 1: 0:50
• Round 2: 1:00
• Round 3: 1:01
• Round 4: 1:04
• Round 5: 1:13
• Round 6: 1:15
• Round 7: 1:20
• Round 8: 1:22
• Round 9: last 0:51 (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, only 2 squats)

• Total of 45 pull-ups, 90 push-ups, and 122 squats

My pull-up form was HORRIBLE in the last few rounds. However, my push-up form and my squat form were STELLAR throughout. I was surprised that my lats weren’t sore after that, but my legs were sore for a few DAYS after! Those squats really worked!

Maybe someday, when I’m a big boy, I’ll bypass “Cindy’s Younger Sister” (AMRAP in 10 minutes), and I’ll shoot for a full-fledged “Cindy” (AMRAP in 20 minutes)! If I did “Cindy” right now, I’d be walking funny for a week!

Speaking of “walking funny”....



38 comments:

Adam 9:21 AM, December 02, 2008  

That's a good one! Will have to try it soon. With the help of my personal videographer (son) I've been posting some videos of different exercises on the blog, you should do the same!

Unknown 9:23 AM, December 02, 2008  

Those Crossfit folks sure give their workouts some funky names. Sounds like you are getting some good workouts in though.

Mel-2nd Chances 9:33 AM, December 02, 2008  

love the title and great post! LOL :D

Marlene 9:54 AM, December 02, 2008  

122 squats?! That is not human!

Unknown 10:29 AM, December 02, 2008  

Where do you find these workouts?

X-Country2 10:30 AM, December 02, 2008  

Hee, love the title of the workout. Good luck tackling full-grown Cindy!

J~Mom 10:48 AM, December 02, 2008  

That is hardcore. Nice job!

Anonymous,  10:48 AM, December 02, 2008  

First, great job, sounds like a hard one. Love the 'rocky-esque' gym set up i.e., rigged up pull up bar across the rafters. Love it!

Like you said, now you need the outfit. I think a visit to Goodwill is in order to find the ripped up shirt and daisy dukes.

If you find this outfit and it 'fits' you MUST take a picture of you in it.

Love the cartoon...had a good hard belly laugh after reading it.

Sarah 10:51 AM, December 02, 2008  

Lordy - I'd never make it past the first pull up!

:) 11:04 AM, December 02, 2008  

Hell yeah...sounds like quite a workout. I nned to overhall my garage/gym...

joyRuN 11:11 AM, December 02, 2008  

Dude - my goal this entire winter is to be able to do ONE whole pull-up.

Calyx Meredith 11:12 AM, December 02, 2008  

My blessing for you this day - May you encounter no stairs.

Anonymous,  11:38 AM, December 02, 2008  

Cindy's Younger Sister? Interesting name...

Sounds like a killer workout.

Missy 11:42 AM, December 02, 2008  

CrossFit, P90X, so many to choose from all equally puke worthy...sounds fun:)

duchossois 11:47 AM, December 02, 2008  

Nice Work Steve! I am officially interested in giving CrossFit a try. Does Cindy Younger Sister an even younger sister?

MissAllycat 11:49 AM, December 02, 2008  

This post has "that's what she said" written all over it.

And then I lodged a thick piece of...

After 2 rounds, I was breathing REALLY hard...


It got ROUGH...


:)

Unknown 11:50 AM, December 02, 2008  

Just to share some recently learned knowledge, jean shorts are known as JORTS and are apparently worn by FL Gators fans. If you google or Youtube "Gators wear jean shorts" there are some funny videos that pop up.
Have a good time doing Cindy's sister. (well that just sounds odd....)

Chic Runner 11:56 AM, December 02, 2008  

Shouldn't I be in your bloggers you enjoy section, with my nice rack? bah ha i expect that from you, but not beachy! who beat you up too! :) ha ha, and those squats, killer. you are a little workout fiend in your garage.

TRI TO BE FUNNY 12:01 PM, December 02, 2008  

At least they weren't called "Johnny's Little Brother." Now that would be creepy (and probably involve lots of leg lifts)

GoBigGreen 12:13 PM, December 02, 2008  

steve:
you are too funny. I am headed to San Antonio, too bad i wont have time to do a track workout for you. But maybe i can eat some good tex mex for you!
I will try to get in some runs and post a few pics of Pee wee at the Alamo:') ha ha.

Amy - the gazelle 12:41 PM, December 02, 2008  

that is so hardcore - almost intimidating! (actually, I'm totally intimidated.)

I dream of being that fit someday. I also dream of having a garage.

B. Kramer 2:42 PM, December 02, 2008  

I passed a pull up bar on a run last week and thought, "Boy, it's been a long time since I've done a pull up."

It has still been a long time.

Michelle 2:43 PM, December 02, 2008  

AMRAP??? Should i know this??

Cause i don't!!

Excellent workout dude!!! Your really becoming so fit and great looking!!!

I'm just saying!!!

Marathon Maritza 2:48 PM, December 02, 2008  

Listen, Journey is classic...don't stop believin'

And crap, am I impressed with these workouts...I can't do a single pull-up or real push-up (only girly!) Go you!

Jess 5:38 PM, December 02, 2008  

Where have I read similiar things about "Cindy's younger sister"....hmmm...ah yes, Penthouse "Forum."

ECrunnergirl 8:12 PM, December 02, 2008  

I am having a visual of "that guy"....oh how I love me a mullet!!!!

That workout sounds killer!!! Good job Steve!!

Shawn 8:30 PM, December 02, 2008  

sounds absolutely brutal!

Charlotte 8:33 PM, December 02, 2008  

I love crossfit. But even more, I love that you are working out in your garage - in Minne-freaking-sota! It has been terribly cold here the past few days! How do you not get frostbite out there?

Trihardist 8:36 PM, December 02, 2008  

Oh man. You should totally run a race as Garage Gym Guy. Daisy dukes, a ratty T shirt, mullet, and sweat band. It will be epic.

Felice Devine 8:58 PM, December 02, 2008  

Ms. Wimpy Arms here can't even do a single pull-up. I can do squats and push ups with the best of 'em but pull ups? Nope. Not one.

Hope you're recovering from those squats!

Laurel 10:13 PM, December 02, 2008  

You're Kevin Spacey from American Beauty!

Love your pics!

JT 10:36 PM, December 02, 2008  

Nice job man! Good job on the pullups too, are you doing dead hang or kipping?

Shannon 5:35 AM, December 03, 2008  

No one around to shoot the pullups? :)

CoachLiz 8:37 AM, December 03, 2008  

great workout! don't get chaffed by the JORTS.

Darcy Franklin 12:24 PM, December 03, 2008  

You're hooked! I am heading over to the crossfit gym tonight! Can't wait to see what they have in store for us!

Anonymous,  6:56 PM, December 03, 2008  

The crossfit stuff is crazy, but you feel so hardcore after. Nice job.

Rainmaker 4:45 PM, December 04, 2008  

Who says you don't walk funny already?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.