Results From the Half, the Party, and More Gross Foot Photos!

>> Thursday, January 31, 2008

Here are my official results from the St. Paul Winter Carnival Half Marathon this past weekend:

Total Time: 1:29:48
Pace: 6:52/mile
Place: 71 out of 1209

(earlier in the week, my time was listed as 1:29:13, which was a 6:49 pace, and I had placed 70th, so something just changed...)

And here are some more photos:


Dreary, foggy, snowy day


Out of the starting gates


The photo Jenny took of me around mile 8.
I was just starting my kick, but I was smiling!


Mile 12ish...dying...


Elevation chart of the out-and-back race.
Notice the sharp downhill at the start that
was KILLER on the way back up

After the race, I finished cleaning the house while Pharmie was baking delicious things. We had a party to get ready for! Pharmie made sweet desserts and awesome wheat buns. I worked on 3 kinds of chili: a double batch of white chicken chili, and 2 traditional red chilis (1 normal, and 1 veggie). People started showing up around 6, and we had about 30 people grab some grub over the next few hours. We had 2 local triathlete bloggers show up: Jumper and Jeremy. Jeremy had just run the half marathon with me a few hours before.


People mingling, people playing games


The most random assortment of people playing Catch Phrase


The kitchen at the end of the night with
3 empty pots of chili on the stove


The “goodies” corner, completely ransacked

OK, here comes the warning. And I haven’t been known to give warnings. These next photos are going to be a little gross. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

On Monday, 2 days after the half marathon, the blood blister on my foot didn’t look any different, so I figured I should pop it. I started by peeling back some of the upper blister in order to expose the blood blister beneath:



Then it popped. It dumped out some deep red blood:



I squeezed the little bastard dry:



I picked some skin off the top, and called it good:



Here it is 1 day after picking at it, and it looks “better”:



Anyone up for some hamburger?

25 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos 5:20 PM, January 31, 2008  

Ah, Steve.

The bulimic's best friend.

J~Mom 5:24 PM, January 31, 2008  

Looks like a fun party! Your foot is a mess...ouch.

SM 6:12 PM, January 31, 2008  

AWESOME PICS OF THE FOOT! Dude you are super fast! Again congrats on a great race time!

RobbyB 6:20 PM, January 31, 2008  

[in my best Cameron Frye voice]

"Stevie Stenzel, you're my hero"

Seriously, that is some delicious foot work, rather work on the foot. Couldn't have popped it better myself.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 6:32 PM, January 31, 2008  

We can always count on you to cross the line!

Jumper 2.0 7:21 PM, January 31, 2008  

Bison burgers for me.

I'm a RN. You couldn't possibly gross me out. But I bet if I was allowed to take pictures, I could actually gross you out.

It was awesome really meeting you and Pharmie (rather than the 15 seconds we met prior). It was also good times, you can't go wrong with a couple of Sam Adams Boston Lager. It was also nice to get out of the house for the night.

Tri-Dummy 7:30 PM, January 31, 2008  

Those foot pics are sweet, brother.

Next time, give us one with you actually chewing on the callous.

That would be awesome.

You flippin' rocked the half, BTW.

IronMin 7:35 PM, January 31, 2008  

Why don't I know better by now to not eat while reading your blog?!
Congrats on the half marathon - and for popping that blood blister.

21stCenturyMom 8:15 PM, January 31, 2008  

I'm sorry I missed your party especiallys since my IMWI roomie, Jumper was there.

I hope you don't get any whining from the Clysdale gallery about the foot pics - you did give a warning!

Unknown 8:54 PM, January 31, 2008  

So yeah, have I ever mentioned my sub-specialty is wound management? That's not even the worst thing I've seen today....... but anyway....
Nice race!

Tri+Umph 9:33 PM, January 31, 2008  

Nice job on the half, Steve! Top 6%, you rocked that thing!

I truly appreciate the warning you gave. I was eating. I was able to finish before seeing your nasty-ass feet (or is that nasty ass-feet?).

Anne 10:09 PM, January 31, 2008  

That looks painful (and leaves me wincing).

trimybest 6:34 AM, February 01, 2008  

good times! did you notice that you and i are both in that photo "out of the starting gates?" i am to the furthest left on the bottom and you are 4 people to my right. at least i think thats you. thanks again for the party!

Marcy 9:00 AM, February 01, 2008  

Again, I have no words for those last photos LOL

Spokane Al 9:49 AM, February 01, 2008  

Congratulations on a great race. It is good to see someone dressing so old school running so very danged fast.

Dana 9:56 AM, February 01, 2008  

Can I have mine w/ cheese? Great party pics!

Soapin' Cindy 11:47 AM, February 01, 2008  

Dude...my feet look a whole lot better after running 50k's. Is it your shoes?? Great job out there!
Concerned for you in Ohio

triguyjt 1:25 PM, February 01, 2008  

steve..can you ups me the un eaten chili...starving
was not grossed out by the blister thingy so keep those coming.

on the next super cold day..can you do a real hard run outside and then shoot your head with the steaming coming off it??? like the football players?? that would be cool.
I would try, but I don't go as fast as you and its 80 and sunny in cleveland..

Anonymous,  3:31 PM, February 01, 2008  

Great pictures! Even at mile 12 you look happy and relaxed.

Looks like a fun time for all at the party!

I'm impressed with your doctoring skills on the blood blister.

Unknown 3:36 PM, February 01, 2008  

It seems like good times were had by all at the party.

Coulda' done without the foot photos though.

;)

teacherwoman 8:52 PM, February 01, 2008  

Leave it to you for posting a pics of your feet, with blood, and skin ripped off...

Looks like a good time though... the party that is!

sRod 7:53 AM, February 02, 2008  

Can you and Pharmie come to my house to cook after a race?

Sixteen Chickens 2:26 PM, February 02, 2008  

Aww man, I'm disappointed, it's just a little blood blister, I was expecting an amputation in the least, 'specially with the warning.

(I once pulled a sewing needle out of my son's foot after he jumped off the couch and ran it clear through his big toe. Funny, I think your foot bled more.)

Anonymous,  12:30 PM, February 04, 2008  

HA. This post just made me laugh. Nice work on that blister. I've got blood blisters on both of my feet in the same spot as yours. Hot.

Running is pretty.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.