1 Day Until Grandma's Marathon!

>> Friday, June 20, 2008

One: I’ve found the one song that will be “my song” for the marathon. Last year while training for Ironman, the song was Kanye West’s “Stronger.” I was literally singing that song to myself while on the 112 mile ride. It was a song that fit well for the day, and it still gets my blood flowing each time I hear it.

This year, I’ve found a new song. You may have heard it on the Nike commercial for Sparq Training that was out about a year ago. It’s the commercial that starts with the great line “My better is better than your better.” Here’s the 60 second ad (TURN IT UP!):


(and there’s a sweet appearance by Adrian Peterson of the
MN Vikes - he’s the one running next to the race car)


Tell me that the commercial didn’t do a little something for you. The song is called “List of Demands” by Saul Williams. He’s a poet, and sometimes he puts his poems to music. List of Demands is a song about taking credit for your actions. It’s a bit of a critique of how everyone feels entitled to something. Here are the first few lines of the song:

I want my money back.
I'm down here drowning in your fat.
You got me on my knees praying for everything you lack.
I ain't afraid of you.
I'm just a victim of your fears.
You cower in your tower praying that I'll disappear,
I got another plan, one that requires me to stand.
On the stage or in the street, don't need no microphone or beat.

(Here’s a link to the music video on YouTube.)

I think that’s a pretty good anthem for running a marathon. However I finish is what I deserve, whether it be 3:10 or 4:10. I’m the only one who has control over it, and I can’t place blame anywhere else.

One: There are MANY things that I do NOT want to happen during the marathon (horrible cramping, anal leakage, sudden death), but the one thing that I really hope doesn’t happen is this:



This was a prediction that one of my former students drew on a Post-It note for me earlier this spring. I’ll really try to keep that from happening...

31 comments:

Marcy 9:07 AM, June 20, 2008  

Do they make Dri Fit Depends? Maybe should invest in some of them :P

nwgdc 9:09 AM, June 20, 2008  

Well, I'm not sure I remember what shirt you decided on, but if you really are worried about pooping your pants, may I suggest the gray cotton? As you mentioned, it's very absorbant.

What a great song!! this is my mantra...no idea what they're saying, but i love the chant-like theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juqy1kUhYBg

ShirleyPerly 9:18 AM, June 20, 2008  

I saw one woman during a marathon who had obviously pooped in her shorts. She flew past me and left quite an odorous wake. Lesson: Sh*t happens but it needn't slow you down. GOOD LUCK!!!

Kevin 9:25 AM, June 20, 2008  

Ive learned to take immodium the morning of any long run past 10 miles or any race. This way I dont have to worry bout any hershey tracks running down my leg

Unknown 9:40 AM, June 20, 2008  

Here's to no leakage issues, but if there is, be sure to take pitures!
Have fun!

:) 10:39 AM, June 20, 2008  

Dude...I LOVE RUNNING TO THAT SONG!!! All I have is a crappy live version mp3 though. :(

Here's to no a poop-free mary!

J~Mom 10:42 AM, June 20, 2008  

It's good to see that your students respect you. ;>)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous,  11:10 AM, June 20, 2008  

Best of luck tomorrow!

I'm predicting an awesome race and no poopy pants ;)

teacherwoman 11:14 AM, June 20, 2008  

Wishing you all the luck tomorrow! can't wait for the official race report!

Tracy 11:22 AM, June 20, 2008  

HAVE AN AWESOME RACE!!!!! You're going to have a fantastic time!

sRod 11:39 AM, June 20, 2008  

Great song...might have to add it to the mix

Smithposts... 12:34 PM, June 20, 2008  

Hope you are dancing in the streets with your new tune! Look forward to your post race stories and fashion photo essay. "Break a leg"....or should that be be good luck? Anyway, have a great race!

KK 1:07 PM, June 20, 2008  

In keeping with your "one" post, here is one last good luck wish:

Good Luck!

(I'm hoping the cumulative effect of my comment badgering over the past few weeks is you running a great race!)

Benson 1:35 PM, June 20, 2008  

Have a great race.
Good luck.

Nitmos 2:14 PM, June 20, 2008  

Wow, what a warm and caring post it from your student. He got an "F" right?

Good luck at Grandmas!!

Anonymous,  2:31 PM, June 20, 2008  

List of Demands is about reparations. Have you picked up the self-titled album? It's superb.

Happy Marathoning!

Kelly 2:39 PM, June 20, 2008  

Good luck tomorrow! I like your choice of songs. I do like the my better commercial. Nice.

monica 2:43 PM, June 20, 2008  

we're rootin' for ya all the way over on the west coast!!

and no poopy pants either. especially if you're wearin' the tighty whities....

GO STEVE GO!!!

Anonymous,  2:56 PM, June 20, 2008  

GO STEVE GO!!! Go luck!!!

a.maria 3:08 PM, June 20, 2008  

please poop your pants in the marathon. PLEASE.

... for our entertainment, man.

PLEASE!!!??!

:0)

Judi 6:20 PM, June 20, 2008  

I love your blog. You are hilarious. Have a great race....

SM 6:56 PM, June 20, 2008  

Dude have a great race! ITS GO TIME!!!!!

Dave M 7:27 PM, June 20, 2008  

Good luck Steve! Can't wait for the race recap.

Thanks for posting a Sparq commercial - I like the one with the lines "I'm gonna tell you what I do before I do it." and "Your agility owes my agility 20 bucks." (click here) If I was a real d!ck I'd have something like that put on the back of the shirt I'd wear in my first marathon...

Viv 7:43 PM, June 20, 2008  

That song makes me want to go run a race right now and hope my better is better than somebody's better.
Good luck, man!

Brian 9:28 PM, June 20, 2008  

As long as you hit your goal, pooping in your pants is icing on the cake. Ewww. Kinda gross. But makes for better blogging.

I still remeber seeing the top girl at districts finish and she went pp in her pants right in front of us. I bet she was embarrased doing that in front of a bunch of hs kids. But she still kicked my ass.

CoachLiz 10:39 PM, June 20, 2008  

The best way to clear the bowels is to eat breakfast. The nerves of the race will also help move the merchandise through the pipes as well.

Best of luck to you Steve! I can't wait to hear how you smoked the course.

bigmike600 10:59 PM, June 20, 2008  

Hey there Steve.. I know I have not commented lately too much. But in my honest opinion, you have analyzed this thing to death so there is just one thing to do...
Run. Do your best. You have prepared and you know what it takes now just go and do it.
Best of luck, but you won't need it. Mentally you got game, physically you got game. Now you just have to put everything else in your mind aside and RUN. You already KNOW you can do it.

Jade Lady 10:11 AM, June 23, 2008  

Ah, I think that would be my worst nightmare! Luckily, I've never had to live that nightmare ...yet..! I hope you won't either!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.