Monster Dash Results and Upcoming 5K

>> Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My surprisingly fast 5K time wasn’t the only big surprise of last Sunday. It turns out I actually placed 13th overall out of 250 runners! OK, so it WAS a “Monster Dash” so the best-of-the-best stayed home. And there were a lot of costumes that were less than conducive to running in. But shut up, I think I did pretty swell. Stop trying to steal my thunder.



Also, as I’ve been hearing other bloggers discuss, the chip timing did nothing at the start. It was all from the shot of the gun. So my watch said 19:28 when I finished, although my official chip time was 20:23. It took me nearly a minute to get across the starting line because I was three-quarters of the way back. Had I been up at the start and ran the same time, I could have placed 6th! I swear to God that all the fast people stayed home. Anyway, it was a blast.

Now that I’m excited about 5Ks, I’m planning on hitting a few more this year (not with the tighty-whities on the outside like at the Monster Dash). I’m planning on running a 5K on Saturday morning at Fort Snelling in St. Paul. It’s put on by the same people that did this past weekend’s 5K and Half Marathon. If you’re a Minnesotan and have nothing to do this Saturday, go here to get more info: http://www.tesfa.org/events.htm (you can register the morning of)

I’m shooting for under 19 minutes this weekend. I don’t know if that’s possible right now, but it’s worth a shot. To make that happen, the course needs to have every mile marked so I can check my progress. I hope to pace myself as follows:

Mile 1: 6:15
Mile 2: 6:10
Mile 3: 6:00
Last Tenth: 0:35

If I can stick near those times, I’ll be right at 19 minutes. Here’s to hoping! I think I’ll be bringing Steph (who ran the half-mary this last weekend) and a friend of hers. Pharmie might be there, but she’s not much on the short runs. Let me know if I’ll see you there!!

On a similar note (sort of), allow to present this following image for your review. I call it “Three Members Of Our Household, Three Dead Toes.”



The painted toes on the upper left are Pharmies. Her big toe has been dead since the TC Marathon 3.5 weeks ago. The new nail is growing out under the dead one, and the dead one has been trimmed back. The toes on the upper right are Stephs, and it’s obvious that her big toe has seen better days. Again, this spawned from TC. And on the lower part of the image is my foot. That second toe is the same one that turned purple in late July after a brick workout. I was afraid that I was going to lose it before Ironman. But the little bastard is still holding on for dear life. Yep, our house has gross feet. At least we’re all fit.

24 comments:

Michelle 8:28 AM, October 31, 2007  

What an awesome race! Best of luck on your next PR!

Anonymous,  10:06 AM, October 31, 2007  

Congrats on the race results, 'Monster Dash' or not.

Marcy 10:25 AM, October 31, 2007  

Awesome job homie!! You rock!!

Yeah, you need to take note from your wife and start painting those toes. They might look a little prettier :P

Tracy 11:19 AM, October 31, 2007  

The menagerie of emotions you create is just... well, wrong.

See, I float in, dreading, then am relieved and comforted to see your race went well, happiness even pokes its head in to take a peek around, BUT then...within seconds it's snatched out from under me by gross feet photos. Need I remind you about feet and me?

Sigh. Off to look at pictures of unicorns...

ShirleyPerly 11:30 AM, October 31, 2007  

You are brave. 5Ks are like 20 minutes of pure torture to me. I'd rather run a marathon any day :-)

Good luck this weekend!

Unknown 11:36 AM, October 31, 2007  

Well, I think you should claim the 6th place finish personally. Although 13 is a lucky lucky number....
Congrats on a great time. 6 minute miles are nothing to sneeze at.
Y'all got some ugly feet, put some shoes on! or at least a pair of socks. ;-)

Wedgie 11:39 AM, October 31, 2007  

All the fast people stayed home you say? I see at least 13 fast people on that list.

Speaking of feet, not to brag or anything, but I won the gold medal at "Tri Geek Feet Olympipcs".
http://neoprenewedgie.blogspot.com/2006/06/smell-of-victory.html

Anonymous,  11:43 AM, October 31, 2007  

That's a fast 5K! Congrats!

Hey, I have a pinkie toe that matches those.

Pharmie 12:36 PM, October 31, 2007  

A mere marathon could never have done that to my toes! It was Ironman #2 that officially did me in.

Allez 1:14 PM, October 31, 2007  

My big toe looks like Pharmie's!

Jumper 2.0 4:42 PM, October 31, 2007  

Can't make it to the 5K, my weekend to work. I will be at the Lifetime Turkey Trot and probably the Reindeer Run. Not sure what else at this point.

Good luck the weekend.

I have ugly toes without being in good shape!

Rainmaker 7:38 PM, October 31, 2007  

Very nice 5K - especially given the outfit!

A 19 minute 5K (at least in the race above) would have put you on the podium (assuming you could slice a four extra seconds off of it).

Good luck!

Unknown 8:43 PM, October 31, 2007  

Good job at the monster dash and best wishes at the upcoming 5K

now...maybe you both need a pedicure...

MissAllycat 9:02 PM, October 31, 2007  

Your foot looks like my foot. It's always the blasted pointer toe that gets mangled. My foot is unoriginal.

cadesdad 9:40 PM, October 31, 2007  

Hey! I'm thinking about the tefsa too. Only deal is we have to get 15 in, so I'm not sure.

What are you planning on wearing? Barney costume?

We don't have pretty feet in our household either. What impact to you think posting that footie pic will have on your google search terms?

Spokane Al 10:50 PM, October 31, 2007  

In looking at your fast six and some change per mile times, I would have to disagree. All the fast people did not stay home. You rocked.

RunBubbaRun 6:02 AM, November 01, 2007  

I hate dead toenails, they take forever to heal. I'm working on one myself.. No fun..

Yeah you should have gone without the speedo and just the undies. I'm sure they would have made a path for you then at the starting line.

Bigun 6:35 AM, November 01, 2007  

Is it hard to run with only 4 toes?

Oh, and who's your toe hair stylist? You need to do something about that big toe - part it in the middle or maybe a "comb-over" would work...

Kim 9:40 AM, November 01, 2007  

dude come on!! disgusting!!!!!! fucking gross! so gross!!! gross.
i was going to give you kudus for placing 13th, but that is just so wrong that i cant.

Anonymous,  8:06 AM, November 03, 2007  

you were probably the fastest of the costumed!! regardless, wicked fast pace!!

Kate 4:39 PM, November 03, 2007  

Nice job! And only 3 girls beat you. =0) Just giving you a hard time. Nice race!

Jamie 6:42 PM, January 15, 2010  

Okay... so I am a toe reader - yep, you read correctly. Toes are the physical manifestation of your thoughts / feelings / emotions. "Dead toes" - as you call them - are toes that are (a) breaking with the past... moving to the future, (b) hurt/exposed, or (c) hyper emphasized in your life. Each toe means something different. Ether toes (big toes) are all about your destiny. Your second toe, or air toe, is all about your communication / creativity / analytical side. Those of you who "hate feet" may want to consider how much you avoid really seeing / getting to know the people around you. Feet are the essence of all the energy we hold individually and how we connect that energy to earth. Great foot photos. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.