Indoor Triathlon With Hannah

>> Monday, November 23, 2009

Yesterday was the Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon in Lakeville. I told everyone from the CVA Triathlon Club that if anyone wanted to do it, I’d go do it with them. Hannah signed up right away, so I did too. We were the only ones from CVA to go race.

Hannah doesn’t have a car, so I figured that I’d pick her up and take her to the triathlon. A few days ago, I got this message from her confirming that thought:



I got ready on Saturday night by shaving my shoulders in order to get a little more speed in the pool:



I picked up Hannah yesterday morning, and we headed down to Lakeville. This indoor triathlon works like this: we swim for 10 minutes, take 10 minutes in T1, spin on a spinning cycle for 30 minutes, take 5 minutes in T2, and end with a 20 minute run on a treadmill. After the race, all the athletes are ranked in each swim, bike, and run, and then point values are awarded to each distance. Those numbers are tallied to determine overall ranking. Got it? Good.

Hannah was in wave 3, and I was in wave 5. So I was there to see her start. Here we are just before her wave started:


Sorry my hairiness is touching your shoulder, Hannah.

She hopped in a lane, and got ready to go:



We ran into Nick who was “officiating” over the swim! Here’s Nick giving a little pre-race meeting to Hannah’s wave (she’s in the foreground):



Nick shouted “GO!” and wave 3 was off! Hannah did 13 lengths at the indoor tri in March. She wasn’t sure if she’d do better or worse yesterday (she’d been sick a lot recently). Here she is breast-stroking in the near lane:



Well, yesterday, she was able to swim 13.5 lengths! That’s better than she did in March!! Congrats Hannah!

When she ran through the locker room, I followed with my camera ran upstairs to the spinning studio and got ready for her to start the bike. She came running in with 4 minutes to spare! (And that was even after she got lost twice trying to get our of the huge locker rooms! Really!) She grabbed a bike and we got it set up for her. A few minutes later, she started her 30 minute spin:



Well, I was back off to the pool to start my wave. I grabbed a middle lane thinking I could share with someone, but no one jumped in with me (must be the body hair). So I had the whole lane to myself. Nick shouted GO, and we were off!

SWIM:

I was surprised after 200 meters to see my splits weren’t horrible! (I haven’t been swimming a lot lately.) I was hoping to get 21 lengths or more. After 20 lengths, I knew I’d be able to get 22 lengths. But I thought if I pushed hard, I MIGHT be able to get 22.5 lengths. I gave it a shot, but I only got about 22 and one-third lengths, not 22.5, so I officially was credited with 22. (That's 550 meters, which is 1:49.0 / 100 meters.) Here are my 100 meter splits:

1:37
1:49
1:53
1:49
1:51
0:58 (last 50+ meters)

T1:

I was excited that my swim went so well! Now, I had to get ready to really power through the bike. I quickly got nude, threw on my bike gear, tried not to get too dizzy (does that happen to other people in T1?), and headed up to the spinning studio.

BIKE:

My main goal for the race was to push HARD during the bike (actually, that’s been my goal in the last 2 years of tri racing). So I was ready to go nuts. There was one big difference between this indoor tri and the other 4 indoor tris I’ve done: at the ones in the past, the resistance is pre-set, and the knob is taped down on the spinning bikes so it’s “equal” for everyone. At this tri, we could set the resistance to WHATEVER we wanted. So we could ride really loose and just hang on for the ride! And that’s what I did.

I checked my cadence over 15 seconds at 2 different points in the bike, and both times, I counted 40. That means my cadence was 160! Holy hell, my hips were quaking! After 5 minutes, I had gone just over 3 miles. So I figured I’d shoot for 18 miles over those 30 minutes (that’s NOT equivalent to road riding). I heard the wave before us finish up, and 2 guys were just over 18 miles. OK... new goal: shoot for 19 miles. ;) I was pushing hard.

Hannah came running up after she finished her run. She did GREAT!! In March at the indoor tri, she ran 1.82 miles. Yesterday, she ran over 2 miles, and she said it felt easy!! NICE!! Then she grabbed my camera and got a shot of me “ridin’ sweaty:”


Yay! The "vein of approval" on my forehead! AND a leg muscle!

I hit 19.1 miles by the time my 30 minutes were over, and I was happy with that effort. I didn’t let up, and pushed hard all the way through. The one problem was that because my legs were flying all over the place, my feet were sliding around in my bike shoes. So my second toe on my right foot was feeling pretty raw. Dang.

T2:

Ran out of the spinning studio, down the hall, and up to the treadmills. When I took off my bike shoes, I showed Hannah the little bit of blood on my sock from spinning so out-of-control. She said “Eww.” Oh, and we shared "battle wounds" on our legs from trying to stop the spinning cycle after our feet flew out. Oww.

RUN:

I started off at 9.0 mph, and that felt pretty good! Hannah snapped a photo early on, when I still looked “presentable”:



- Up to 9.5 mph at 4 minutes
- Up to 10.0 mph at 10 minutes
- Up to 10.1, 10.3, 10.5 around 15 minutes
- Ran the last 90 seconds at 11.0 mph - ouch... that was hard!

That first photo of me looked good: I was running upright and looked strong. Here’s another photo that Hannah snapped with just about a minute left, and here I’m a little hunched over, sweaty, and praying for the sweet release of death:



I out-did my previous indoor triathlon best by 0.04 miles on the treadmill: I covered 3.25 miles in those final 20 minutes. (That's 6:09.2 / mile.)

So both Hannah and I had a great day!! We drove back up to St. Paul and went on our ways. I took a photo of the bit of blood on my sock:



And yesterday evening, I snapped a photo of the bit of pus over the raw area that rubbed off during the bike:



Yeah... add that pus / blood to that dead toenail and those hairy toes, and you have the trifecta of “oh, there goes your appetite!” Ha! I’d apologize, but I’m not really sorry. ;)

I’ll be back with the results as soon as they’re tallied! I KNOW Hannah will place better than she did in March, and I’m hoping for top 3. We’ll have to see!

13 comments:

Gabriel Losa 7:50 AM, November 23, 2009  

Congratulations to both of you! Nice pictures... and great time, Steve!
Hannah, congrats on getting faster!

The Boring Runner 8:37 AM, November 23, 2009  

Great job guys! I love it that Hannah is the one who is getting YOU to race now! :)

Kate 8:43 AM, November 23, 2009  

Great triathlon, Steve! Congrats to Hannah on her improvement and for you for that crazy-fast treadmill session. I've never seen an "indoor triathlon" -- it's interesting how everyone goes for the same amount of time instead of the same amount of distance.

Anonymous,  8:51 AM, November 23, 2009  

Great race Steve. Thanks for the toe picture. I knew I should've ate breakfast before going on the computer.

Chic Runner 11:57 AM, November 23, 2009  

Nice job to Hannah! What an improvement even after being sick!

Also, good work to you too :) Thanks for the disgusting pics :)

tri_al 12:17 PM, November 23, 2009  

that bloody sock looks a bit like a smiley face. or at least half of one :)

hey i have to let you know i had a BIG moment yesterday; i received my first photo ever of me running with my feet not touching the ground! very proud (even if it was taken in T1 ahaha)

anyways thought of you and mentioned as much as in my last post

Jennifer 12:36 PM, November 23, 2009  

Steve - I think you might have bodyhair dysmorphia - look into it. Bah! Looks like you guys had a great time, not including your toe of course. Nice hardwood floors.

Coach Liz 8:57 PM, November 23, 2009  

Congratulations to Hannah!

Great toe picture! It made my day!!!

Frayed Laces 12:10 AM, November 24, 2009  

10 minute T1? I hope you took a fantastic poo with all that time.

Julie @ ROJ Running 4:55 PM, November 25, 2009  

awesome! I do one here locally set up the same way but it's indoor track not treadmill. SO MUCH FUN. great idea for beginners who might not cover the same distance as everyone else but starts and stops with them regardless...self esteem booster

Anonymous,  2:21 PM, November 26, 2009  

Yes, definitely an acute case of the ole heirsute dysmorphia. That DSMIV's got a little something for everyone.

Speaking of which, I love the hairy toe pics, and I'm wild about those nipples, too....

Guess there's a lot of H.D. around. No doubt I got it bad, like Davis in Dark Victory. A big helping of prognosis positive....

Incurable....

sRod 1:50 PM, December 04, 2009  

Congrats!

That toe picture is fugly.

Anonymous,  11:10 AM, December 16, 2009  

Congratulations, Steve & Hannah! You both did a fantastic job and it was great having you!

I hope to see you again in the spring.

In health,
Bonnie Siegel
Lakeville Lifetime Fitness
Indoor Triathlon Race Director

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.