Indoor Track Meet Mile

>> Sunday, December 21, 2008

A few days ago, I dug up my old track spikes from high school. I figured I’d give them a whirl at this indoor track meet. They still had LONG spikes in them from cross-country in 1997:



Yesterday, I swapped out the long CC spikes for “track legal” spikes. I was going to wear them for my first ever 1600 meter run. I didn’t know how fast I could run it.

When I got up this morning, I was SO GLAD we were going to be running inside. It was 10 below with a wind chill of 33 below:



I loaded up my stuff and got out the door. I got to the track and helped Gary and Jeanne bring in some equipment. Here’s what the 200 meter track looked like:



I got registered. The woman asked my expected finishing time. “Oh jeez... I dunno...” I said. “I’d LIKE to get under 5:10...” I told her. I really had no idea, but I thought I could go sub-5:10, and MAYBE go sub-5. I actually figured out what my 400 splits would probably be if I were to run a 5 minute mile:

1:13
1:15
1:17
1:13
Equals 5:00 mile. Doable? I dunno.

That would be about what I would run each 1/4 (or so I figured) if I were to pull out at 5 minute mile. Anyway, the track started filling up as more people started showing up. People began warming up:



I got to talk to Tom and Danielle (who I see at a lot of Charities Challenge events) as well as local blogger Sunshine. I chatted with plenty of new friends too.

Because my spikes were a little tight, I wore my smallest, thinnest socks. It was the first time in a while that I didn’t run in my Drymax Socks.



First was the 800 meter run (someone ran that in 2:04!!). Next was the 1600 race-walk. The third event was the 1600, and I was ready to go:




(my feet aren't really that tiny)

They did the 1600 in 2 heats, and I was in the “fast heat” that went second. Here are some of the guys running in the first heat:



Finally, I was ready to go. I think there were 7 or 8 in my heat. Off we went. I didn’t know how to run this race. Years ago, I considered a 1 mile race “long distance.” Now, it feels like a sprint. I had 8 laps to do around this short track.

First 400: 1:15. “Good split. Probably not gonna hit 5:00, but still shooting for 5:10.” I was running in 4th place.

Second 400: 1:15. “Sweet! I’m holding that pace! Maybe I can hit 5:00!” About half way though, any spit in my mouth turned into a thick paste because of the dry indoor air. I was working hard but still feeling OK. Still in 4th.

Third 400: 1:18. “Lost some ground, but the third quarter of any race is my toughest part. Let’s go nuts and shoot for 5!” With 400 left, I started my kick and passed someone to move into 3rd place.

Last 400: 1:11. I was working HARD and flying. In fact, I was flying when I hit the line. I had more in me! I should have kicked sooner!!

Total: 5:00.70. SO CLOSE TO SUB-5!! Eight-tenths of a second faster could have put me UNDER 5! But I was still really happy with that outcome! I ended up 3rd overall (out of 15 counting the earlier heat), but I didn’t care what place I got - this race was JUST for time.



Because of that dry air, I was coughing a little and my eyes were watering. This is what I looked like shortly after finishing (still catching my breath):



And then, they had what EVERY track meet needs! A big bag of doughnut holes, lots of doughnuts, and a platter of cookies!




I had 5 or 6 doughnut holes. So good.

When the rest of the events were done, they gave away loaves of bread to the winners. They had one left over, and Gary said something like, “Steve! You’re a great cheerer and you always make these events more fun! Come get the last loaf of bread!”



Thanks Gary!! So I took off for home and got to work clearing the fresh 5 inches of snow from our yard. I fired up the snowblower to take care of the driveway. If you’re MALE and a HOMEOWNER, the sight of these next 2 “before and after” images should do something to you:





Am I right, guys? There’s something very satisfying about making a nice path in the snow, or having a freshly mowed yard, or having no weeds in your veggie garden. Come on, who’s with me?!?

Then I helped out 2 different neighbors too. I blew out my neighbors to the south, and I also cleared the driveway of my neighbors to the north (notice the 3 foot high piles on the left and the right from the snowplows that connected to make a nasty, icy fence to their driveway):



I was out there for over an hour, and I was covered in snow. And my new Zeal sunglasses held up well in that nasty cold:



Charities Challenge is hosting 3 more indoor meets in the next 6 or 7 weeks, and I’m thinking about shooting for sub-5 at their New Years Day event (doesn’t start until 11 am). Anyone interested in coming with?!?

And Gary will have some more images up on their site in the next few days, and I’ll post them when they’re up. AND I’ll have the “results” of my 20 x 100 (ugh!) swim workout tomorrow afternoon! I’ll see you in the pool tomorrow morning, Julia!

Happy Sunday everyone!

39 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances 3:45 PM, December 21, 2008  

COngrats on an oh-so-close sub-5:00! You'll get it next time for sure!

Marci 3:58 PM, December 21, 2008  

You are such a scary fast runner! You'll get 'em next time :)

Charlotte 4:07 PM, December 21, 2008  

Nicely done, Steve!! You'll get sub-5 in the next race, no problem. Man, I kick it as hard as I can and barely do sub-6! I need to start coming to your Saturday am training sessions so I can learn how to get faster;)

Way nice of you to help your neighbors out! We have to shovel our driveway by hand and that bottom piece where the snowplows hate us takes twice as long.

Kelly 4:11 PM, December 21, 2008  

Wow, it's depressing how much looking at those photos make me miss track (I was a hurdler).

Good job on being so fast!

kerrie 4:17 PM, December 21, 2008  

shave your legs!!! that's .7 seconds easily right there :)

Trishie 4:35 PM, December 21, 2008  

nice run, speed demon! and mmmmmm donuts (in my best Homer Simpson)

Trishie 4:35 PM, December 21, 2008  

nice run, speed demon! and mmmmmm donuts (in my best Homer Simpson)

Unknown 4:37 PM, December 21, 2008  

Indoor track meet sounds like the PERFECT thing given the weather you are dealing with. good job on your speedy 1600

MissAllycat 5:33 PM, December 21, 2008  

Damn...you are FAST. Congrats!!

"I blew out my neighbors to the south". Tee hee. :)

Felice Devine 5:37 PM, December 21, 2008  

More bread? You're always getting bread, huh?

Great job -- that's so super fast!

Eileen Swanson 6:03 PM, December 21, 2008  

I agree with Kerrie, the hair added .70! ;-) I love the post track TREATS, totally goes along with my blog post! YUMMM! Happy Holidays!!

tri-mama 7:10 PM, December 21, 2008  

ALARCs On it and In it Lake Tonka plunge really would be a great warm up for you sub 5 attempt :-) Join us....join us

Anonymous,  7:38 PM, December 21, 2008  

Nice job at the track meet. You did great. You have some mad snow blowing skills too.

X-Country2 7:38 PM, December 21, 2008  

You do realize you won the Miss Congeniality Award for that track meet, right? :o)

Michelle 7:43 PM, December 21, 2008  

Dude, i am living vicariously through you!!! I will never run that fast but when i read your fastness somehow i feel it!!!

Oh god how dorky can i be???

Great job steve!!!

Jamie 8:25 PM, December 21, 2008  

Damn that is a speedy run. Well done Steve!

I remember in HS XC a 3 mile run was so long and bad ass. The ultimate endurance race. Now it is just a nice warmup. Strange how thing change as we get older. Eh?

Stay warm!

Marlene 9:02 PM, December 21, 2008  

That is awesome - congrats Steve!!

Mmm, look at the grease rings from those donus. YUM!

Casey 9:54 PM, December 21, 2008  

Great job on your sprint! That's a great time! Congrats on the bread, as well. Put it on a ribbon and wear it around your neck for a while.

BaddApple 10:08 PM, December 21, 2008  

Great Job! Way to kick the end. Nice job on the driveway too. I did mine Saturday. I can't run a mile. I always do the TC 1 mile in May to get into the 10 mile in Oct. This year was so funny. I started off fast for me. Then I felt this faint start up from my toes. I remember thinking. I'm really going to pass out and its going to hurt when my face hits the cement. I pulled back and slugged across the line. I will take a half-marathon over a mile run any day. I'm not built for speed like you are :-) Good job again.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 10:13 PM, December 21, 2008  

ROCKING TIME Steve! Contgrats. Had it been slightly more humid, you'd have been under 5:00 for sure.

If you are ever in South Minneapolis, you can plow out our long, narrow driveway.

Your satisfaction would be only slightly less than my Hubby's, who would just LOVE to not have to shovel it.

Unknown 10:29 PM, December 21, 2008  

So close to that sub-5! I agree on the 3rd 400 being the hardest. Well done!

Emily 10:50 PM, December 21, 2008  

Awesome! So now you know how it feels and I'll predict you shave off at least 10 seconds from your time at the end of the season. (As well as shaving your legs, toes, and whatever else you see fit.)

I had the EXACT same pair of racing shoes in h.s. too! Same color and everything.

Jade Lady 12:14 AM, December 22, 2008  

You're unbelievably fast! Very impressive!

And, that snow cover is quite impressive too! Nice and fluffy! BTW..where are all the snowmen?

J~Mom 12:59 AM, December 22, 2008  

Just caught up around here!! Congrats on your speedy mile!! I can't believe all of that snow! Not a drop of rain or snow round these parts. ;>) Hope your sunburn is better!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg 6:43 AM, December 22, 2008  

... my old track spikes from high school ... in 1997

Know where I was in 1997? Me either, cos 1997 was when they first stuck me in this here home with the first stages of Alzheimer's. And I'm still not sure where it is.

Sweet time on that mile, man! But I think X-Country2 is right: You won Miss Congeniality!

Well ... better than Miss Demeanor.

Born To Endure 6:47 AM, December 22, 2008  

You are getting crazy fast!!! yay for doughnuts!

Shannon 7:32 AM, December 22, 2008  

I like snow but about 2 inches of it! Yikes!!!!

Carolina John 8:32 AM, December 22, 2008  

I find it reassuring to know that you blow your neighbors. i'll be moving to your block soon.

haha, nice job on the mile!

Vickie 8:54 AM, December 22, 2008  

Is that all the snow you have?? You might have colder temps, but we have 3 x that much snow! Great race!

tfh 10:07 AM, December 22, 2008  

Great job on the mile! I find it very hard to pace myself for the shorter runs-- it's very, very hard to finish feeling the perfect amount of "spent" at the end.

RBR 11:04 AM, December 22, 2008  

Oh. My. God.

I can't get over -33 degrees wind chill.

Your speed is amazing too, but really, expected. So if you want to shock me you will need to come in last at your next race. ;o)

Formulaic 11:42 AM, December 22, 2008  

Sooo close!

I can't believe how cold that is.

-33

I can't even imagine.

Way to go.

jen 12:10 PM, December 22, 2008  

Wow, blazing fast mile Steve!! Amazing!! Congrats on the run and the 3rd place finish. :) Stay warm and Merry Christmas!

Kim 12:26 PM, December 22, 2008  

woohooo THISCLOSE to sub-5! way to go steve!

Spokane Al 12:31 PM, December 22, 2008  

I am with you brother on looking back at a freshly cut lawn, or during this time of year, a freshly plowed drive way and sidewalk.

P.S. Congratulations on a great run. You absolutely rock!

Chic Runner 1:56 PM, December 22, 2008  

well arn't you just the little racer! :) Congrats!

Jim Smith II 7:28 AM, December 23, 2008  

Congrats on the race! Indoor running is so different than outdoor, being able to have to great a time is awesome!

BTW - Can you bring your snow blower out her to Western WA? I've still got about 12" covering the driveway/roads?

RooBabs 4:12 PM, December 23, 2008  

I can understand the satisfaction from freshly plowed/mowed/weeded, but we still can't see your driveway. What's with leaving a layer of snow? That's not very satisfying for me. Maybe you should bust out the shovel, ha ha.

But props to you for helping out your neighbors. I guess that makes up for it. = )

Oh, and great time on your run. I agree that if you shaved everything, you'd gain that extra .7 seconds.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.