LTF Indoor Triathlon Report

>> Sunday, February 24, 2008

This first sentence is kinda depressing: I got ready for the tri last night with a supper of chicken nuggets and 5 bowls of Wheaties (with sugar) while grading student’s projects and watching “Cops,” “Antiques Roadshow,” and “Forrest Gump” at home by myself. Another exciting Saturday night in the Stenzel household.

This was my third annual indoor tri, and this event holds a special place in my heart. Two years ago, this same indoor was my very first triathlon (the one that got me hooked). Anyway, I headed out this morning, and I heard Ozzy’s “Crazy Train” on the way to the tri. I smiled a bit to myself, and at that point, I knew it was going to be a good day.

I arrived at Lifetime Fitness and got ready to go. I went out to the pool to watch the group before my heat take off. As I was sitting by the pool, I started talking with 3 women. This was their first tri, and I was trying to be “the helpful guy who’s done this before,” but not “the creepy guy that won’t stop talking about how much he knows about tris.” One of the ladies wants to pawn her bike off on her middle-schooler so she can by a nice, new tri-bike for herself so she can start doing outdoor triathlons. I love a woman with a plan! We had a nice chat, and we all hopped in the pool to get ready.

The Swim:

I was hoping to swim 21 lengths. That was my biggest goal for the day: 525 meters in 10 minutes. I had been working with Andrea, a swim coach at my Y, who had given me some drills to help with my breathing and hopefully speed me up a little. I wanted to see what I could do. I asked my lap counter to help me get to 21 lengths. She laughed and said, “I really can’t do much about that!...”

Some woman shouted “go” and we all splashed about. I had lost track of my lap count. Along with my form. Andrea would have been pissed. My shoulder wasn’t doing what Andrea wanted it to do. After 10 minutes, it was over. My lap counter was smiling. “Twenty-one?” I asked hopefully. “Twenty-one! You did it!” Here she is (broken leg and all) after I got out of the pool:


Apparently, that swim cap didn’t do much for my hair...

The Bike:

We all had 10 minutes to run though the locker room and get up to the spinning studio. Not much to say here. I hopped on a spinning bike that had the resistance set (and taped down), and my hips were rockin’ all over the place. My cadence was nasty fast, kinda like sex with Carrot Top. Here’s a sweet, sweaty-boobs pic of me about half way through the bike:


Shut up. I don’t photograph well during triathlons.

The Run:

We had five minutes to get from the spinning studio to the treadmills. I was there and ready to strap on my Nikes. But there was a little problem. Each year at the indoor tri, I’ve had a minor emergency. Two years ago, I had too much guacamole the night before and was a little “squirty” at the start of the swim (no need to say more - in fact, I’ve already probably said too much). Last year, the toe-cages on my bike pedals were on backward, and the little medal clasps kept catching on each revolution. This year, it was time for some drama on the run. As I got to the treadmills and pulled my shoes out of my bag, I realized that a water bottle had leaked into my bag. My right running shoe was SOAKED! Poop. Well, nothing I could do. I threw on my shoes and hit the treadmill.


Shut. Up. It was hard work.

I started at 9.0 mph, and in just a minute or 2, I bumped it up to 9.5 mph. With 5 minutes left, I bumped up to 10.1 mph. I wanted to break 3.0 miles. After 20 minutes, I had run 3.19 miles. Sweet.

Final Numbers:
- Swim: 10 minutes: 21 lengths (525 meters)
- Bike: 30 minutes: 16.6 miles
- Run: 20 minutes: 3.19 miles
- I PRed in every category! (Previous best: 19 lengths last year, 15.3 miles on the bike 2 years ago, 2.58 miles run last year)

I don’t think I’ll end up placing as high as I’d like, but I really can’t complain about PRing in all 3 categories! I went home and made 2 ham, egg, and cheese burritos with salsa:



Official results will be up tomorrow or Tuesday. Check back then to see how I placed. Thanks all!

18 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 9:25 PM, February 24, 2008  

So you were going over 30mph? Woah.

And it sort of looks like your bike has breasteses.

Tri+Umph 9:46 PM, February 24, 2008  

I am never riding my bike with you.

Ever.

Seriously, nice job!

Bruno 10:02 PM, February 24, 2008  

Wow, how's the feeling of doing an indoor triathlon? I think it's weird, kind of takes off the enjoyment of the great outdoors.

Great performance, though!

monica 12:39 AM, February 25, 2008  

ain't it great to go back to your first race?? i go back to mine every year that i'm in town for it.

congrats on your pr's across the board!! i'm doin' my first reverse tri that ends in the pool in two weekends. should be fun!!

Anonymous,  6:06 AM, February 25, 2008  

1) sex with carrot top? hmmm. ok.

2) over 10mph on a treadmill? I'm amazed and astonished you did not fly right off that thing.

Sounds like fun!

Ryan 6:35 AM, February 25, 2008  

Only 2oz of guacamole per serving.

A couple of years ago, I had wayyyyy toooo much guacamole and felt a little gassy.

I ended up dropping a "baked potato" in my britches, if you know what I mean!

Good luck with the race results

Dana 7:46 AM, February 25, 2008  

Way to get your PR on! Not even GONNA comment on the "sex w/ Carrot Top" statement..;-) Looks like you FINALLY got your burrito.

jahowie 7:49 AM, February 25, 2008  

Nice job on the tri!! You are very fast!! Not too sure what sex with Carrot Top would be like, but I'll take your word for it. LOL!!

Born To Endure 8:23 AM, February 25, 2008  

What?? No helmet on the bike...good job!!

My Life 9:42 AM, February 25, 2008  

Ohhh wow, thank you for having me make sure my gag reflex is up to speed this morning. Cadence and Carrot top.... gaaa.

Nice improvement on the run!

Anonymous,  10:48 AM, February 25, 2008  

Congratulations and awesome job!! You are really fast!

Those burritos look so good.

Kellye Mills 10:48 AM, February 25, 2008  

That sounds really cool! I've thought about doing one here, but I wasn't really sure. Never done an INDOOR tri! We'll see.

Great Job. You kicked some serious rear-end!!

triguyjt 4:05 PM, February 25, 2008  

ummmmm burritos!!!!!!!!!

hey, glad to know you are not "creepy guy". I always run into a few of those each race.

great job on the indoor..at the scene of that first crime.
i saw some guy did 31 lengths..wow he was knifing through the h20

CoachLiz 4:19 PM, February 25, 2008  

How do they record the distance on those Spinner bikes?

Rainmaker 6:59 PM, February 25, 2008  

Ummm...dude - where's the underwear on the outside? Did you leave them behind or under? This could be a serious rift in either case. If left behind - ouch - a seperation. If left under - ouch - guacamole not sooo good.

Congrats though!

Supalinds 12:19 PM, February 28, 2008  

Nice work...that run makes me want to puke :)

Anonymous,  9:07 PM, March 11, 2008  

That food at the end looks like it caused major diarrhea. I bet that's exactly why you weren't in class the other day. Zing!

Triathlon Wetsuit 8:11 PM, July 29, 2010  

Hi! This post is excellent and awesome job. You are so fast. Also those burritos look so good. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.