"Pre" Race Report: Tri-ing For Children's Triathlon

>> Monday, July 31, 2017

This will just be a post about leading up to the "Tri-ing For Children's Triathlon." I'll be back with the actual RACE hopefully tomorrow. (I did something like this for part 1 and part 2 of my "Trinona Triathlon" race report as well. I just didn't have time to get a full report posted right after the race.)

My "freshest" brother-in-law Matt invited me across Wisconsin to do a race in the Wisconsin Tri Series: "Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon." On Saturday, I spent about 2.5 hours in a car coming home from a family vacation. I loaded up and hopped back in the car on Saturday to drive 3+ hours out to Matt's house, and then we'd drive the remaining 2.5+ hours to the race site together. So I had 300+ miles of driving over a few hours for a dinky sprint triathlon. Fun times.


Exotic Wisconsin towns.


45 mph back-road Wisconsin highways near Matt's house.


After driving 3 hours to Matt's and 2.5 more hours of driving with Matt,
we stumbled upon the Weinermobile after taking a wrong turn. It was fate.


Me with the Weinermobile.


Applebee's the night before the race. I had a chicken breast (healthy)
topped with deep-fried mozzarella sticks (also healthy).


Our bikes tucked in at the AmericInn for the evening.


Exotic Wisconsin views from our hotel room.


FaceTiming the boys at home. Henry had a bloody nose with blood all over his face...


... and Charlie was sad because he wanted to come stay with me at the hotel.


Matt all tucked in for the night before 9:30. I sent this to his wife.
She was jealous of me. I told her to get her own man.

I slept OK at the hotel. There were some loud kids at midnight. And the hotel room would get pretty hot before the AC kicked in to make it nice and cold, so that kept me up a bit. But the night before a race is usually iffy anyway.


Breakfast still-life with race wheels, oatmeal, and banana.


Pre-race traditional selfie. (Still at the hotel.)


Leaving the hotel at 5 a.m.


I-94 was pretty dead.


Pulling into Ottawa Lake State Park before 5:30.


Pre-race bike prep.


We *thought* we were getting there early (before transition even opened).
But 1 or 2 lots had already filled up, and this was our lot after 2 minutes.


Some fog rolling off Ottawa Lake pre-race.


A final pre-race potty stop near the lake.

I didn't have any major specific goals for the race - I just wanted to race HARD. Back with my actual race report tomorrow or Wednesday (as soon as I can). Time to go stretch out my legs!

UPDATE: Here's the rest of my race report.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.