Four Final Things Related to the Securian Run 13.1

>> Monday, February 06, 2012

ONE: Catching Michael.

In my race report, I noted trying to catch Michael in the second half of the race. He was my rabbit. I realized that I had a similar race with Michael nearly 2 years ago where I WAS able to catch him before the finish. It was at the 2010 MDRA Mudball trail race. It was a 4-lap race of 1-mile loops. Here's the lead pack of 5 finishing the first mile:



Leading are the 2 guys that ended up taking 1st and 2nd, then Michael in the blue, and then that's me peaking right over his shoulder (with a nice high-school kid behind me who I chatted with a bit during the first loop).

I passed Michael shortly after, and was able to take 3rd. But that was a shorter race, and as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm better with the shorter distances.


TWO: Better Place.

In 2011 and 2012, the Securian Run Half Marathon had the SAME NUMBER OF FINISHERS. There were 830 runners each year. It's nice to compare finishing results and note that I was 25th out of 830 in 2011 and then 21st out of 830 in 2012. Both years I was 5th in my age group.


THREE: Injury Prevention.

It was just after the Securian Run a year ago that I realized I was injured. I had some sharp pain VERY low on the back of my heel a few days after the race, and the Doc told me to wear this at night:


You might be thinking I dug through my drawers to find my
"funnest" pair of boxers. You'd be wrong. They're all like this.



A year ago, this is what I posted along with that first photo:

Dr. Folske said there's a good chance that the point where my achilles meets bone down at my heel has some micro-tears. This "boot" (it's actually called a night splint) keeps my heel neutral all night long so the tendon can heal up quicker.

If I were to keep running, I'd just be aggravating where that tendon meets bone, and my body would try to heal it by building more bone. If I kept that up, I'd need to have surgery to scrape the bone back down.

Surgery? No thank you.

So I wore it every night for about 3 months straight last year. Then I wore it after longer runs or harder races. After my race this past weekend, I wore it for a night and a half (I wore it all Saturday night, but took it off in the middle of the night on Sunday). And so far, my heel is feeling JUST fine! So I think I made it through the Securian Run this year withOUT any issues!


FOUR: Current MDRA Grand Prix Standings.

After the the Meet of the Miles, I was in 3rd. Now, after the Securian Run Half Marathon, I gained a place on one person and lost a place to another. So I'm still currently 3rd (out of 64 men) in the MDRA Grand Prix:



Some people to note:
• 4th: Michael's behind me by 30 points (that's who I tried to catch all race).
• 8th: Good ole Kirt Goetzke. If you run in MN and you DON'T know Kirt, then you DON'T really run in MN. ;)
• 11th: Chad made the sub-1:25 prediction for Michael and I. Close.
• 12th: I met Omar a few years back at a duathlon. Nice guy!
• 14th: George and I raced many of the same races together, but finally formally met last month.
• 20th: Ben's a SPEEDY dude. Notice the 1000 points from Meet of the Miles. Really nice guy too. Sweet Goetzke-esque ponytail to boot.

5 comments:

Carolina John 8:41 AM, February 06, 2012  

I'm starting to monitor a grand prix series too. Pretty cool stuff.

SteveQ 10:17 AM, February 06, 2012  

If you beat Russell in a race, I'll buy you a car! He probably won't do enough races in the series to win overall, but he's hard to beat in any one race. Lots of guys in their 50's on that leaderboard, aren't there?

Foges 1:20 PM, February 06, 2012  

i have the exact same boot. there is no way i can sleep the entire night while wearing it. my foot falls asleep after about 2 hrs.

Rocco 8:14 PM, February 07, 2012  

Hey that picture looks really really really familiar. To be clear, I mean the one of us running. Not you in your underwear.

I need to get a lot of miles under my belt and a lot more quality workouts in to beat you again this year. But I accept the challenge. :)

Anonymous,  4:09 PM, February 10, 2012  

What i do not understood is in reality how you're no longer actually a lot more smartly-preferred than you might be now. You're very intelligent. You know therefore significantly when it comes to this topic, produced me individually believe it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men are not involved except it's one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs great. All the time care for it up!
Bridgestore and Travel Road Safety Kit with Carry Case

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.