10K / 20 Miler Photos

>> Saturday, September 19, 2009

The last 5 posts have been about IM WI. But on Saturday, just before heading out to Madison, Pharmie and I fit in a quick race. It was the “Get Ready to Rock” race, and it had a 5K, a 10K, and a 20 mile. I posted a quick report last Saturday that said I finished first in the 10K with a time of 36:46, and that I ran most of the race by myself. Here you can see the next finisher was about 3 minutes back:


And apparently my name is “Sten”

Gary snapped a lot of photos. Here’s the start of the 20 mile (the race the Sarah and Chris ran):





Here’s the start of the 10K, and I was out in front from the get-go:






Tom snapped this photo of me waving at Gary...


...and here’s me waving at Gary (in my new Sugoi tri top)

Like I said in my race report, the run was rough. The last 2 miles were tough to get through. I rounded the final corner in the parking lot, and I was hashed. There were 5K finishers still finishing up, so Gary announced me as the first place 10K runner. This woman in green was excited for me:


I was dead


Hitting the line

I talked to some of the other finishers as I waited for the 20 miler runners to start coming in. They had an awards ceremony, and here’s Mark and his daughter presenting me with a visor for winning:



I got changed in a porta-potty and then cheered for the 20 miler finishers. Here’s a bunch of 20 miler finishers coming in with Mark and I cheering on the left (Mark and I talked there for about 15 minutes):



Chris came running by in 8th place in the 20 mile! Congrats Chris!





Pharmie came by a bit later. She had a rough run. She wanted to be about a minute/mile faster. She still was able to flash me a smile as she ran by:





Pharmie had about 25 minutes to cool down, and then we hopped right in the car to drive 4 hours to Madison. What a weekend!

17 comments:

Maria 9:21 AM, September 19, 2009  

congrats again on the first place. now the question is, can you hold that pace for 4 more miles to hit your goal at the 10 mile race?

Anonymous,  12:24 PM, September 19, 2009  

wow..congrats!

the crowd pics reminded me of opening day of taste of chicago...everyone running for the food booths..lol

again congrats:)

Carolina John 12:29 PM, September 19, 2009  

Great win dude! nicely done.

Michelle 1:14 PM, September 19, 2009  

Wow Steve Stenzel ~ Congrats on a first place in 10K You are so awesome!

bigmike600 2:40 PM, September 19, 2009  

Sten

You are fast. sub 6 min miles for a 10K is pretty amazing.

Keep up the good work.

Chris H. 3:39 PM, September 19, 2009  

Awesome pics Steve - thanks for hooking a couple of me! Congrats on your huge win, and congrats to Sarah on a great race - it was ugly out there at the end of the 20-Miler!!

xt4 4:23 PM, September 19, 2009  

Sten -

If you see Steve, tell him I said kickass on the the win, that's really amazing. And what Maria said - I'm cheering him on to reach his goals for the 10 mile. And is he a Sugoi sponsored athlete now? They're one of my favorite brands.

You must be alright for Steve to hang out with you. Let's get a beer sometime Sten.

jen 6:43 PM, September 19, 2009  

Dude. You make me sick. Well done! Congrats to Pharmie and everyone else who raced. You are all amazing.

Kennyo 3:53 AM, September 20, 2009  

congrats, the pics are awesome..

Hey u mind popping over to my site and weighing in on a Question I have about a used bike to buy..
thanks kenny
www.apolicemanslife.com

libgyrl 1:15 PM, September 20, 2009  

Hurray, fast 1st place!

Mike 4:29 PM, September 20, 2009  

Awesome run and finish! However, I missed the picture of you turning your timer off on your watch! lol!

Trishie 4:32 PM, September 20, 2009  

congrats! (and it's nice to see you on BT!)

cdnhollywood 9:48 AM, September 21, 2009  

That's some serious running! The only way I could beat that time is (a) on a bike or (b) running 5k.

So I've gotta ask - what's your #1 tip for gaining speed/power in the run? I've climbed up to halfiron distances, but now I'm focused on picking up 5k and 10k speed over the winter. My plan was for 800m lactate intervals 2x a week with one easy run in the week (along with bike and swim stuff).

I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks, and congrats!

CoachLiz 7:59 PM, September 21, 2009  

I bet those other runners hated you smiling and waving for the cameras.

The lady in green is making me chuckle. I guess she is practicing her touchdown pose.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.