Is THIS What I Look Like When I Race?!?

>> Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I had a pretty good race at the Liberty Olympic Distance Triathlon about 6 weeks ago. I ended up with a nice oly PR at the end of the day. But I just found one more photo in the official photos that I missed a few weeks ago. Here I am rolling into T2:


The epitome of grace. That’s me.

Jeez, I think I NEED to work on a faster / smoother / better dismount!

Notice in that photo that I’m actually just OVER the dismount line by about 6 inches. Oops. I remember coming to the line fast, but then I lost my balance and I wasn’t able to get out of the saddle as soon as I wanted. I ended up coming to a complete stop (just past the line), and then I wobbled to the left to hop off my bike. That photo was taken when I was completely stopped, just as I was tipping to dismount. Super graceful.

That reminds me of another photo of me coming into T2 at a duathlon last year. Here I am in a similar position at the Winter BeGone Duathlon last spring:


Awkward.

What I’d LIKE to look like is local pro triathlete David Thompson (DKT). Here’s a clip of him FLYING off the bike at the Gear West Duathlon a few months ago:


(Click here to see the full 5 minute race recap video from the GW Du.)


I’m signed up for a short sprint triathlon this weekend in Waseca, MN, so I think I’ll be working on my dismount in the next few days.

In the meantime, I’ll keep this photo etched in my mind as motivation.



Yuck.

13 comments:

Veronica B. 6:20 AM, July 28, 2010  

Heh. I can't mount OR dismount without putting one foot on the ground so you're already ahead of me.

(My boyfriend, who is much more comfortable on a bike and I suspect sleeps with his when I'm not around, is going to drill me on mounts/dismounts before my next tri.)

Meredith Brooks 7:00 AM, July 28, 2010  

Wow - that dismount by David Thompson was one of the smoothest dismounts I have ever seen!

Alyssa 7:29 AM, July 28, 2010  

It could be worse -- you could be flat on your side. Or something. You look like a happy little kid. Own it. :)

Kim 8:17 AM, July 28, 2010  

that is something. doesnt that hurt your junk?

Diana Tries-A-Tri! 8:47 AM, July 28, 2010  

It seems like when I dismount I get all nervous at the last second, pull on my breaks so hard that my back tire always lifts a little bit and then I wobble off. It looked like he just floated off his bike!

RFalkenrath 8:48 AM, July 28, 2010  

Hey, better to look goofy than biff it trying to be smooth like the pros riding on one side to the dismount... I'll take goofy over road rash. =)

Caratunk Girl 8:49 AM, July 28, 2010  

HA that is freaking awesome. If it makes you feel better those pictures are way better than any of mine.

Christi 5:24 PM, July 28, 2010  

I am sure you will get it down to a smooth pro transition!

Chad 9:35 PM, July 28, 2010  

A little practice and you could have the flying dismount down to an art. Transition is the fourth sport and the only one I am good at. I pride myself on having the fastest transitions in the race, but too bad I am not fast at anything else...

B. Kramer 1:54 PM, July 29, 2010  

Don't worry. One of my last bike dismounts resulted in the handle bars hitting me in the back the head. You're doing just fine. Cheers!

CoachLiz 6:26 AM, July 30, 2010  

Don't worry, I have been doing this for years and my dismounts are not pretty.

Good luck this weekend.

sRod 6:05 PM, August 03, 2010  

Race pictures are the worst. In half of them you can't even tell you're racing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.