Getting My Butt Kicked by 3 Middle-School Girls

>> Monday, July 05, 2010

Andrea, the swim coach at my local Y, invited me to swim with a small group of her swimmers if I ever wanted too. I figured today (the 5th of July) Andrea would only have a small showing of her swimmers, so I could maybe squeeze in and do the workout with them.

I was ready to be owned...

...which was good, because I was murdered by the 3 girls that showed up.

I warmed up for a bit, and then we were off to do 10 x 100 on 1:50. Here were my times:

1:17
1:19
1:20
1:23
1:24
(skipped #6: near-death)
1:22
1:24
1:28
1:28

1:22.77 / 100 yard average

Yeah, they were pushing me so hard that I had over-done it and I had to take a breather in the middle. Andrea asked me if I was OK after 3 intervals, so I MUST have looked beat-up.

Then we did an easy 50 before starting 10 x 25 kick drills. The 2 fastest swimmers paired up, and Andrea put me with the “slow one,” who still kicked my butt in the previous 100s. The 2 pairs of us raced: the 2 fast girls started side-by-side, and then the other girl and I started side-by-side 10 seconds later. The “slow one” beat me on every 25. FML. The girls were GREAT sports and thanked me for sharing their workout. I think I was their comedic relief. ;) Thanks for the workout Andrea!!!

Oh, and here are 3 other things:

ONE: Yesterday, Pharmie and I took my parents to Dixie’s on Grand for breakfast, then to the Science Museum of St. Paul, then to a local bar, and finally, we took them to the 4th of July fireworks display in Downtown St. Paul. They’d never been to a “big city” fireworks show, and I think they were pretty impressed!


Watching the fireworks on the stairs next to the Sci Museum.
They were shot off just a few hundred feet in front of us.

TWO: Earlier yesterday, Pharmie ran the first ever “Red, White, and Boom Half Marathon” in downtown Minneapolis. I put a bunch of images from the race in an Examiner article. Click here to check it out. I’ll post more about this on Wednesday. Congrats on a great race, Pharmie!

THREE: New giveaway tomorrow!! And check to see if you’re the winner of the recent giveaway - I just drew the winners this morning, and they are listed in the post below.

Thanks everyone! Have a great week!

8 comments:

Regina 2:37 PM, July 05, 2010  

Schooled by middle school girls...love it! Although, I shouldn't say a word, I would have had my ass handed to me as well. Glad you were such a good sport. I'll bet they left feeling mighty proud of themselves.

Carolina John 2:53 PM, July 05, 2010  

10 x 100 on 1:50 is kind of insane. That you got schooled, well that must have been expected. Glad you had a fun holiday steve!

Chloe 6:11 PM, July 05, 2010  

If it makes you feel better - I got my ass handed to me the other day by a 70 year old man...who swims 3 times a day...who swam around the KEYS a few months ago...and had fins and a swimming snorkel on. But did I feel awesome getting out of that workout. :)

Chris and Amy 6:17 PM, July 05, 2010  

I was ready for a laugh, but since I swim 75s in about the same times as your 100s I think it would be misplaced. :) Way to be a good sport though. Have a great week, Amy

Anonymous,  10:31 PM, July 05, 2010  

I guess that's one way to get pushed during a swim workout! Great view for fireworks!

Joel 11:22 PM, July 05, 2010  

Either you're really brave, or you just didn't realize what a swim club can do to kids. :-) My 11 year old son swims year-round, and while I do often swim AT THE SAME TIME he does, I'm not silly enough to ever do his workouts. He kicks my butt all the time!

Kim 1:11 PM, July 06, 2010  

um at this point im pretty sure elementary school kids could whoop my ass in 100s - i mean, seriously, 100s in 1:17? no chance in hell.

Julie 9:12 PM, July 06, 2010  

Hi Steve,
It was so great to see you at Red White and Boom....if only for a few seconds:) The picture I took of you is a light blue blurry mess:) Congrats to Pharmie!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.