5 Hour Spin Class!! Holy Crap!!

>> Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pharmie and I started the day visiting Rural Girl who was in town with her family at the “Waterpark of America.” We stopped by for coffee with her and her hubby:


(Hubby was taking the picture)

Then we went home and got ready for our 5 hour spin class! Do you know what the key is to a 5 hour spin class? Two pairs of bike shorts!



Seriously. I wear 2 pairs of bike shorts for any longer ride. IT WORKS! Try it.

I got my food ready for the class. Added up, I was taking nearly 1,600 calories along with me:



Sarah, Steph, and I showed up at the Lifetime Fitness in Highland Park (neighborhood of St. Paul). Shortly after, Matt and Borsch showed up. We grabbed some bikes, and started the class:


Steph, Matt, Borsch, and Pharmie

I love this next sequence: It shows how quickly I get sweaty. Here, gawk at my boobs:


15 minutes into class


40 minutes into class


62 minutes into class


80 minutes into class, soaked through

Here’s Borsch all sweaty:



Pharmie looking good:



Matt looking hard-core:



Under 2 hours into class, I realized that I had sweat through both pairs of bike shorts. Around the bottom of my moose knuckle, I had 2 nice sweat stains:



We had 5 instructors come in and out over the 5 hours. Some of the instructors were better than others. Two near the middle weren’t too intense, and some intensity would have been nice. I needed to be yelled at, bossed around, spit on, and called a little bitch. Sometimes, that’s just better.

*wink wink* ;)

Just kidding. Sorry Mom!!

I knew I wasn’t going to make it the full 5 hours. My goal was to do 3+. Maybe 3 and a half. MAYBE 4. Well, I was hurting after 2. I started counting the minutes after 2 and a half. I ended up holding out for about 3 hours and 20 minutes. Or 200 minutes! I was done. Here I am throwing in the towel:



I hopped off my bike and snapped a photo of Pharmie’s siblings Steph and Matt:



Borsch and Steph stopped shortly after me. Matt held out for about 4 hours. Pharmie was hardcore, and stuck it out for the full 5 hours!! Here she is about 8 minutes from being done:


GO PHARMIE!!

But I’m getting ahead of myself. When I hopped off the bike, I took exactly 5 minutes to change my shorts, poop, and hop on a treadmill. My legs were heavy after over 60 miles (roughly) on the spin cycle. But I wanted to crank out a decent run.

Mile 1: 7:32
Mile 2: 7:14
Mile 3: 6:39
Mile 4: 6:39
Mile 5: 6:39
5 miles in 34:45

My legs were dead, but my knee and heel still felt good!! What a good burn!! I went back into the spinning studio, and Borsch and I stretched:



Then I did some ab work, and called it a day. We all headed out to Davanni’s for some grub! I started with cheesy garlic bread:



Then I killed a 5 meat pizza:



We got home, and I pulled out my “bag o’ stank” which contained wet socks, wet shirt, and 2 soaked through bike shorts. This is just toxic:



Borsch snapped a few photos too, so I might put some of those up when I get them from him. And stop by tomorrow for my last bit of BIG NEWS!! Hope you all had a good weekend!!

44 comments:

Velma 9:06 PM, February 22, 2009  

Way to go Pharmie! Nice review. I finally was able to answer your questions on my blog - thanks for sending them to me.

Lindsay 9:10 PM, February 22, 2009  

so... you just subjected yourself to a 5hr spin for fun? think you need to be checked into the loony bin.

congrats to pharmie for being more hardcore than you. your post-workout grub looks delicious, you certainly earned it! nice job on the run, esp after 3+ hrs on the bike!

Amy - the gazelle 9:11 PM, February 22, 2009  

You're definitely insane! Glad you had fun, though.

jen 9:13 PM, February 22, 2009  

Way to go Steve, especially capping it off with a run. Nice work!

Super Congrats to you the amazing Pharmie for going the whole 5 hours. Incredible! :O

Tall Girl Running 9:21 PM, February 22, 2009  

Only on Steve in a Speedo could I expect to find a photo of a sweaty crotch and not feel like I've cheated on my husband.

Well done... well done.

Jamie 9:25 PM, February 22, 2009  

Okay, I can deal with your strange love of running in tons of cotton, but crotch shots and double bike shorts? That is just far too ghetto for me. :-)

Anonymous,  9:25 PM, February 22, 2009  

Pretty sure I was upstairs while you were down in the spinning class (the magazine's offices are in the same building). Small world! Next time I'll come cheer you on (and by that, of course I mean heckle).

RunningLaur 9:33 PM, February 22, 2009  

200 minutes of spin, and then another 5 mile run? That's some pretty crazy athlete action there. Sounds like a successful Sunday.

Unknown 9:39 PM, February 22, 2009  

Pharmie destroyed you! :) I wouldn't have made it 2 hours. I think you might want to check your 5 mile total time for your run. I think you might be off.

Joe V 9:41 PM, February 22, 2009  

IN. SANE.

BTW, I really didn't need that image seared to my eyes. Thanks.

Run For Life 9:51 PM, February 22, 2009  

You are all crazy, good job! Pharmie is extra awesome for sticking it out the entire way!

Maggs 9:56 PM, February 22, 2009  

Wow. I've done 3 hours before, but she did 5 hours? Wow.

Jo Lynn 10:08 PM, February 22, 2009  

WTF are you? Man, animal, or machine? Who chooses to do shit like that? The spinning wasn't enough so you went on the treadmill? O M G!

Amber 10:09 PM, February 22, 2009  

I can't believe your wife did a full five hours, that is insanity, I don't think I'd be able to sit down for a week if I spent 5 hours on a spin bike!

Anonymous,  10:17 PM, February 22, 2009  

It was a good day for team Happy Pants..... the 2009 race year is looking up.

Charlotte 11:07 PM, February 22, 2009  

Good work guys! Esp. Pharmie - way to represent for the women!! Gotta say though, my therapist would put me back in the crazy house faster than I could say 5-hour Spin Class if I ever attempted this stunt;)

Charlotte 11:07 PM, February 22, 2009  

Good work guys! Esp. Pharmie - way to represent for the women!! Gotta say though, my therapist would put me back in the crazy house faster than I could say 5-hour Spin Class if I ever attempted this stunt;)

trimybest 11:13 PM, February 22, 2009  

hey great job! perhaps you worked a little too hard. your math is a bit off on your running splits!

C 2:59 AM, February 23, 2009  

Congrats to all of you but a big woohoo to Pharmie for lasting the whole five hours. Holy hell, she's hardcore!

Thanks for the mooseknuckle shot. Really, like I couldn't have lived a happy life without seeing that. ;)

PS-Your cumulative run time is incorrect. It should be 34 minutes, not 54 minutes. You're selling yourself short there. :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg 5:03 AM, February 23, 2009  

Effin' Xenia! "Check the math on your run" was gonna be MY comment!

Still - VERY hardcore, people! Glad to see Borsch made it, after his sickness and the DayQuil/NyQuil mix-up.

So let me get this straight: The students were expected to do 5 hours of spinning ... but the 5 instructors only one each?

Nice work if you can get it.

Very impressive, all!

Shannon 5:29 AM, February 23, 2009  

Go Pharmie! Wow, 5 hours of spin, she's hardcore!

Nice recap, especially your sweaty crouch photos. LOL.

joyRuN 5:52 AM, February 23, 2009  

Woot to Pharmie!!

I'm impressed - FIVE minutes to change your shorts AND poop? Are you sure that's not a math error?

Missy 6:18 AM, February 23, 2009  

So, is Pharmie gloating that she kicked your arse?!? I would. Thank you so much for the moose knuckle...just used that term the other day and had a group of people spit their food out..I just thought everyone knew!

Anonymous,  7:06 AM, February 23, 2009  

You guys are crazy! Well done all around. It must have been one smelly room.

Steve Stenzel 7:27 AM, February 23, 2009  

Oops. Thanks for pointing out the run times - you people pay attention!! Yeah, I changed it to 34, not 54 minutes! Just a typo. Thanks!!

JenC 7:47 AM, February 23, 2009  

That's INSANE! Very impressed though with you and the gang. Mmmm...pizza!

Marlene 8:25 AM, February 23, 2009  

Holy. That is some serious sweat and a serious workout. I am impressed by all of you! You definitely earned the feast.

Heather 8:35 AM, February 23, 2009  

That is a crazy workout! Way to go Pharmie for making it 5 hours. The post-workout pizza feast looks delicious.

Razz 9:20 AM, February 23, 2009  

Now *there's* something to wake up to with a cup of coffee!

5 HOURS????? ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS 9:52 AM, February 23, 2009  

Love your blog, you totally have me laughing!

I'd go mentally insane in a 5-hr spin class, I look at the clock way too much in those things... way to rock it and then run after!

Alisa 10:40 AM, February 23, 2009  

Holy cow! There is a gym out there that does a 5-hour spin class!

You did 200 minutes on the spinner AND THEN you ran 5 miles! OMG...I could maybe one hour of spin and 5 miles...on a good day.

21stCenturyMom 11:01 AM, February 23, 2009  

1600 calories for 5 hours of spin?! No wonder you didn't last. I'm surprised you didn't need to eat 5 meat pizzas (as opposed to 1 5 meat pizza). Great job, though! What an intense day.

The Boring Runner 11:24 AM, February 23, 2009  

So, I may have missed it... but was the 5 hr ride just for funzies? Or was there a higher purpose to the crotch inflaming joy?


BTW, my lifetime doesn't have windows in the spin room. Those would be nice I think.

b 11:53 AM, February 23, 2009  

two words Steve "eurostyle butt'r"

Seriously great job by everyone and thanks for the transition poop update :-)

Kelly 11:58 AM, February 23, 2009  

Wow. No way I could do 5hours. That's kind of insane. Way to go everyone!

Unknown 12:08 PM, February 23, 2009  

I hope the music was good for the class...impressive performance by everyone!

Kim 12:14 PM, February 23, 2009  

HOLY MOLEY! that is one helluva workout steve! all of you are awesome! sweet crotch!

sunshine 1:42 PM, February 23, 2009  

5 hour spin class!?!?! Holy christ that's a workout!

Glad to see you ended the day on cheesy garlic bread! :)

Runner Leana 1:44 PM, February 23, 2009  

2 pairs of bike shorts? That's a lot of padding...I'd have a tough time walking around in that! Although I guess really, you are on your bike and not walking around... Anyhow, congrats on your hardcore spin class, and great job to Pharmie for sticking it out through the whole thing!

ShirleyPerly 1:57 PM, February 23, 2009  

5 hour spin class? That's MAD!! I'll have to remember that tip about 2 prs of shorts, though. I think I've heard that some folks do that for iron tris.

And looks like you could use some WIN sport detergent :-)

Chic Runner 2:28 PM, February 23, 2009  

no words. this is straight something that freaks me out. Pharmie is a beast and i mean that in a totally good way. Holy cow.

RooBabs 4:50 PM, February 23, 2009  

Five hours of spinning is just wrong- no matter how many pairs of shorts you're wearing. Enjoyed the progressive boob sweat pics, though. I can't believe after biking that long, you still had 5 miles in you. I think you're certifiably insane.

Kudos to Pharmie for lasting the full 5 hours. Wow!!

I Run for Fun 9:19 PM, February 23, 2009  

Whew! I cannot believe that huge smile on Pharmie's face after almost 5 hours of this crazy $hit!!!
Nothing can induce me to do crazy stuff like that! To be honest, I don't think I have it in me.

You definitely deserved that huge delish pizza and garlic bread!!!

sRod 9:35 AM, February 24, 2009  

5 hours of spinning?? I've never done 5 hours of continuous physical activity!

Garlic bread and pizza--sounds like a great post spin/run meal.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.