First Time Running at the Metrodome This Winter

>> Saturday, December 04, 2010

Yep, it's that time of the year. If I still want to do any speed work, I have to head indoors. (I love running outside during the winter, but trying to run sub-6:00 miles on this frozen tundra is like asking Tyson to "tap" you on the chin. Not pretty.)

Pharmie and I headed over to Minneapolis after picking up a Christmas tree on Thursday. It was SO fun to bump into "internet buddies" and other familiar faces!! We got to chat with Omar, Jen, Matt M, Steve Q, Brian, and Sandra! (Oh jeez, I hope I'm not missing anyone!....)

Matt M ran 2 laps with me as I warmed up for my intervals. He had done a harder run in the morning and was now just going to run easy for a bit. He spent the rest of the time running with my lovely Pharmie:


Pharmie and Matt

The Dome is just over 600 meters per lap. My plan was to do 2.5 lap intervals (my favorite Dome workout). So I did 4 x 1502 meters every 7:00. At the end of my first interval, Steve Q caught up with me, and we did part of 2 intervals together. Here were my times:

[1 lap, 1 lap, 1/2 lap = total]

2:08, 2:07, 1:02 = 5:18
2:02, 2:05, 1:02 = 5:10
2:05, 2:06, 1:00 = 5:11
2:02, 2:04, 1:00 = 5:07

Average of 5:11.50 / interval (1502 meters)
(That's 5:33 / mile pace)

Quick Side Note: I felt "good" during the intervals. I was kinda comfortable, but I was working too. So I was surprised my times were that good. I realized (during the last interval) that as I was running them, I WAS hurting. But as Coach Jen worked with me for those 8 weeks leading up to the TC 10 Mile, she taught me how to deal with that kind of pain. Now, sometimes I feel like I'm not working as hard. In reality, I AM working hard, but I've just been taught to work through it a little better. It's never too late to keep saying "THANKS COACH JEN!!" ;)

Anyway, as I was wrapping up my last few intervals, I saw that Steve Q had joined Matt and Pharmie, and now they were all catching up during their run. I ran a cooldown with them, and grabbed a shot of those 3:


Steve Q, Pharmie, Matt M, and someone making a pass

Thanks for keeping my wife company, Matt M and Steve Q! See you around the Dome again soon!

After that, Pharmie and I ran to Cub Foods to pick up some groceries. This is NOT a good place to be standing after intervals while starving:


All I can focus on are the Mini Charleston Chews and the Reese's Pieces

Click here for the Dome running schedule for this winter. I bet you'll see Pharmie or I there at LEAST once a week throughout the winter! Happy training!

5 comments:

Anonymous,  5:17 PM, December 04, 2010  

That candy aisle looks dangerous! Nice indoor run!

Anonymous,  9:32 PM, December 04, 2010  

I am jealous you have a track that large! You guys will have fun in the winter :)
That candy aisle is eyeing me ...

SteveQ 12:40 PM, December 05, 2010  

I'll be back at the dome Tuesday, if the temps don't improve! I was surprised to see your times were so consistent, as the bit I ran with you seemed to be uneven - and you'd be shocked to see how much slower it looks for those running the opposite direction (I know I was).

Mike,  5:40 PM, December 05, 2010  

Hey Steve,

I was just wondering if they charge any money to get into the metrodome to run? Or is it free? Also, is it open on a consistent basis, or kind of hit and miss? I'm not driving from VA to run with you, I just was curious!

Steve Stenzel 5:45 PM, December 05, 2010  

Mike, click the link at the bottom of the article - it was answer all your questions! (It's a $1, there's free parking, and it's open T/T from 5-8 until spring.)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.