A MUCH Better Week of Workouts

>> Tuesday, December 07, 2010

A week ago, I posted this image of my training the week of Thanksgiving:



Yep. 42:00 of strength and core work all week. Solid. ;)

I remarked how I felt like I was a little burnt out. After a few weeks of not wanting to do ANYTHING, I started to get some desire back. (No, not THAT desire - I always have THAT desire.) So I started back up, and last week was MUCH better:



• Mon, Nov 29:
- 6.84 mile run and stretching in the AM.
- Upper body strength workout at the Y in the PM.

• Tues, Nov 30:
- 30:00 with Coach Troy on the trainer (that's the little "SP" on the calendar).
- Some core work.

• Wed, Dec 1:
- 2200 yard swim with Julia.
- Upper body strength workout at the Y.

• Thurs, Dec 2:
- 4 x 1500 intervals at the Metrodome.

I posted about this workout here, where I showed a few photos of my lovely Pharmie and Matt M doing laps:



• Fri, Dec 3:
- 2400 yard swim with Julia in the AM. (How did I NOT get a photo with Julia this week?!)
- Over an hour with Coach Troy on the trainer in the PM.

Brother-in-law Matt (different from Matt M above) came over to hit the trainer with Pharmie and I. Here's a photo when we were cooling down. (I barely got back to my bike in time after setting the self timer, hence my awkward still-getting-on-the-bike photo:)




The sweat under Matt's bike at the end of an hour+

• Sat, Dec 4:
- 85 minutes of snow blowing and snow shoveling.
- Solid core workout at the Y.

• Sun, Dec 5:
- 9 mile run.

I'm trying to keep my long runs up so I'll be able to start working my way up for the Winter Carnival Half Marathon shortly. So I headed out for a snow-covered 9 miler Sunday night. It was my coldest run of the season: it was 12 degrees with around a 0 - 4 degree windchill. I resisted the urge to break out the YakTrax yet - I told myself I wasn't going to be running hard enough to need them. Here are some photos I took along the way:


Front yard with 5-7 inches of new snow


Nicely plowed River Road


Crossing the frozen Mississippi


More of the Mississippi


A more melted trail on the other side of the river

I had over a mile to run on the more cleared trail before turning around. I told myself I'd start picking up the pace, and then run hard at the turn around on the less-snowy trail for about 1.3 miles. My mile splits from the start of the run were 7:08, 7:25, and 7:12. Then I started upping the pace (6:45). I ran hard for a mile (6:16), and kept up the pace for part of the next mile (7:07). I had forgotten how much the cold, dry air and all of the layers really slow you down. When I saw 6:16 for that "fast" mile, it felt like sub 6 for sure. I snapped a photo as soon as I eased up after the hard miles:


Proof to those of you in WARM areas that you CAN sweat
when it's 12 degrees! ;) (My face is "glistening.")

I eased up a bit for a final 3 miles.


As the sun is setting along River Road


Some kids sledding at the Town and Country Club

I got home and rewarded myself for a solid week under my belt.



According the the time stamp on these photo files, it only took 4 minutes and 36 seconds to go from that image above to this image below:



And Pharmie only got 2 of those rolls.... ;)

So I know this wasn't an AMAZING week of training, but for early December when I'm not training for anything specific, it's fantastic. If I can keep this up, I'll be GOLDEN come springtime. Happy winter everyone!

p.s. If you missed my last post from Minnesota Tri Night, check it out. I posted the results of the awards banquet along with 2 slideshows of images on my Examiner page. Click here for the results and photos during the awards, and click here to see photos from before and after the presentation. Thanks everyone!

11 comments:

D 8:15 AM, December 07, 2010  

Awww yeaaaa... Cinnamon rolls! You KNOW I approve this blog post! :)

Mushi 9:05 AM, December 07, 2010  

Your stove is so clean!

Unknown 9:14 AM, December 07, 2010  

Yay! I'm convinced that the first week of December is much better for everyone. That run looks awesome - you are brave for battling the cold, but I know you guys are much more used to it. And thos cinnamon rolls look delish!

SteveQ 10:12 AM, December 07, 2010  

Town and Country's just so close to Izzy's and Sweets and other great places to carboload - I'd be full before I could bake rolls.

GoBigGreen 11:38 AM, December 07, 2010  

I know i know i even had my swimsuit on that said " JEn says to eat your greens" No wonder you didnt want that picture.
But now that i know you at cinnamon LIFE, i have a renewed faith in you STEVE. I prefer plain LIFE but there is hope:)

Anonymous,  1:12 PM, December 07, 2010  

The pics from your run look beautiful, but cold! Mmmmm, cinnamon rolls...

Jennifer Harrison 9:08 PM, December 07, 2010  

Um, have you gone to HELL IN A HANDBASKET in these short 2 months? First you are running in a sweatshirt? And second....ONLY you and D would eat those cinnamon rolls!!! ACK!

(hee hee) - Merry Christmas!

Nicole 5:20 PM, December 08, 2010  

Well you're still super speedy to me, but this really makes me appreciate the lovely weather in southern california... Now I'm going to head out on a run!

Anonymous,  9:37 PM, December 08, 2010  

Very nice photos! It looks so peaceful.
Those cinnamon rolls made me want sugar now!!
Haha, I am on the brink of getting my YakTrax out. I think after todays dumping, they will hold a place near the shoes.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.