I Married Into a Sweaty Family

>> Wednesday, October 28, 2009

(...but before we get to that, a little more on something else.)

So the last few days of discussion on my blog have been very interesting to me! It was first an “iPod or no iPod” discussion, which soon turned into an issue about racing and race effort. I took some of these ideas and wrote about them in the forums on BeginnerTriathlete.com as well. Most people (on BT) agree with many of the sentiments left here regarding iPods: many don’t wear them, few people race with them, and everyone that uses them seem to be using them safety / smartly.

Then I put up a poll on BT asking “Can you hold a short conversation during a 10 mile race?” Here’s what I added:

I've been catching a little flak for not "racing hard enough." I recently did the TC 10 Miler in 1:02:43, which was good for 95 out of 5797. I was happy with that. But being I held a few short conversations with other runners at mile 1, 4, and 5, some people are saying that I didn't race hard enough. It was an "all out race" for me, and in a 10 mile race, I'm not racing so hard by mile 1 that I can't talk. SHOULD I be racing that fast?

Thoughts please! Thanks!

Around noon today (about 24 hours after putting up the poll), here are the results:



So 62% say it’s OK to have a short conversation, but I’m a little surprised to see 30% say you shouldn’t have enough breath to talk. I didn’t think it’d be THAT high! The way I race, I almost use talking as a tool in the first half (at least in a race as long as a 10 mile) to make sure I stay nice and easy. Then I can “unload” in the last half and know that I have the speed / power / energy to make it to the finish line. That’s the idea repeated by many people who commented on that poll - here’s one example:

If you can't talk a little bit in the early part of the race, you will be walking before the finish line.

A lot of people stated something like that. This next comment, although a little harshly worded, brought the biggest smile to my face:

You turned in a 1:02 for a ten miler and you weren't racing hard enough? Damn, I hate to see if you shut up and ran how fast you'd be! That's an awesome run IMO and if you are okay saying a few words, so be it. Who gives a fuzzy rats nut sack as to what others think ~ run your own race and only you can truly criticize what and how you performed. If I could run that fast and talk, I might do it just to show off. ;) Run on brother!

And was it any surprise to see that commenter was from Texas? I think not. ;) Ha!

But, there were plenty of people that also commented saying that ANY talking will add time to my overall race. Seeing 30% of people say I shouldn’t be talking at all was a surprisingly high percentage! Maybe I’ve been wrong! Maybe I need to be racing harder in the first half and not talking so much! I’m definitely considering this for this weekend’s Monster Dash 10 Mile race!

Changing gears: last night, Pharmie and her brother, Matt, had a date with their trainers in our basement. They did an hour workout together as I sat upstairs and ate pizza (really). Here they are about 3 minutes from the end of their workout:



Matt had a POOL of sweat under his bike, and it was actually flowing (in 2 little rivers of sweat) to our basement drain! Check this out:



That’s amazing!! We figured we could probably get about 6 bikes and trainers down in that space in front of our TV, so any locals want to have some winter “trainer dates” at our place? The only requirement is that you can’t be allergic to cats. (The litter box, a few cat mats, and all the cat toys are in the basement not too far from the trainers, so a workout would get pretty ugly pretty quick if you were allergic!) Seriously, who wants to come over?...

Big races this weekend!! Pharmie’s racing her first 50 K trail run, and I’m racing the Monster Dash 10 Mile!! Should be a fun Saturday!!

20 comments:

Amy - the gazelle 3:38 PM, October 28, 2009  

I have a question not related to iPods (I run with one about 50% of the time, and totally wore one in my marathon, but feel I am a safe user & can quit anytime)or talking while racing.

It's about the bike trainer. I want to buy one for my husband for xmas, but am torn b/w a trainer & rollers, which seem to be a more authentic workout, what with having to balance & all. Do you have an opinion? Could you share? (For obvious reasons, I can't ask the internet on my own blog because I want it to be a surprise.)

Shawn 3:39 PM, October 28, 2009  

At the risk of sounding stalkerish... I want to move closer to you just so I can come and do trainer rides in your basement! mainly because I really really hate trainer rides and it would be great to have someone to share the misery with.

trimybest 3:44 PM, October 28, 2009  

Steve if you aren't talking a bit and being friendly then you wouldn't be yourself and it wouldn't be fun to race you. Keep chatting, keep being goofy and keep having fun!

Also clear a spot for me. I'm up for a trainer date! I even have cheesy 80's bike/tri movies we could watch.

Coach Liz 4:27 PM, October 28, 2009  

I wish I could make it for a trainer date. You all could come down here and do a trainer workout in my garage which I call "The Hot Box". No TV in there, but there is a 1972 Duster to look at.

Regina 4:32 PM, October 28, 2009  

The invitation to train in your basement is the only incentive I would have for moving to your very cold part of the country. As opposed to my almost very cold part of the country. I'll bring the pizza!

Pharmie 6:06 PM, October 28, 2009  

Wow that's some super sexy hair I've got in that pic...

TriGirl Kate O 6:18 PM, October 28, 2009  

Two words: "Breaking Away." You need to watch that for trainer night. If I lived there, I'd totally be in and would bring some post w/o libations. But I live here.

I am trying to wean myself off the ipod. Mile 18 on of the marathon blasted loud keeps me from hearing the screaming pain in my legs.

Unknown 6:54 PM, October 28, 2009  

I think what they were really saying was that they don't want YOU to have enough breath to talk. ;-)

Unknown 7:26 PM, October 28, 2009  

I love it that you are thinking about your approach to racing! Sometimes it's good to test yourself a bit and try a new tactic out- I commented under the previous post but would also like to add this:
The Olympic Gold medalist in 2008 men's marathon blew the field to shreds by running hard right out of the gate and he certainly wasn't walking at the end, in fact, Sammy Warinju (sp?) has been responsible for the major men's marathoners, particularly Ryan Hall, changing they way they approach pacing themselves. Experiment!

Jumper 2.0 7:49 PM, October 28, 2009  

I would totally love to bring my bike and trainer over some time.

Maria 8:04 PM, October 28, 2009  

love the sweatness!
looking forward to reading reports about your indoor training orgies in your basement.
Good luck this weekend!

Jeff Vanis 9:50 PM, October 28, 2009  

Sweet idea, if I did not have a towel on my bike, I could possibly sweat that much. I would be up for hauling it over sometime this winter, been trying to squeeze as many outdoor rides on the bike before winter really sets in.

Nat 9:53 PM, October 28, 2009  

Sweet River of Sweat! Ewwwww!
That being said, I'm in for sure for a trainer session!! I am sure AmyB is too as we were just talking about doing this sometime this winter!

X-Country2 10:33 PM, October 28, 2009  

I'm with the Gazelle. I want to get a trainer this winter, and I don't know the first thing about them. Anything you can share?

Darcy Franklin 8:04 AM, October 29, 2009  

I think being able to hold a short conversation at the beginning of a 10-miler is a good sign. However, that doesn't mean you have to! Focus your energy on being an efficient runner and keeping the intensity where it should be.

Good luck on Saturday! Do it without conversation and I look forward to a race report!

Christi 8:55 AM, October 29, 2009  

Good Luck on the races!

B.o.B. 9:32 AM, October 29, 2009  

Fuzzy rats nut sack. I like it.

Chad 12:04 PM, October 29, 2009  

Obviously, the shorter the race, the harder it is to talk. Having a short conversation during 10M or Half Marathon isn't a big deal.

However, you ran a 36:46 10K earlier in the year which converts to a 1:01:36 10M - nearly a minute faster than you actually ran at TC10. Obviously, many variables come into play (weather, taper, course, etc). But it's something to consider.

Bootchez 5:45 PM, October 29, 2009  

Another one who'd join you for trainer night, but your just too far away. Missed the whole iPod debate, but *I* run with one (one ear pod only), training runs, races, whatever -- I'm addicted and happy to be that way. I am also slow as molasses, and the whole Can I have a conversation thing is moot for me for the same reason -- I can probably sing songs. Not running all out, don't want too, slow and lazy and that's good enough for me.

Irish Cream 7:47 AM, October 30, 2009  

That's totally what my boyfriend is going to say some day . . . only it's going to be about me! Hehe. I swear, I am the sweatiest girl ever!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.