“Those are the ONLY Strippers That I EVER Want You Around!...”

>> Wednesday, September 16, 2009

...yes, that was a famous line from my lovely wife Pharmie in reference to being only let around “Wetsuit Strippers” instead of the... well... the “other” kind of strippers. Apparently, she’s got something against paint strippers. ;)

Here are some photos from the beginning of our huge day of volunteering last Sunday at Ironman Wisconsin 2009. If you don’t know what “wetsuit stripping” or “wetsuit peeling” is, make sure to keep reading.

Here’s nearly 2500 athletes getting ready to start their 2.4 mile swim:



As everyone was swimming, Pharmie and I got ready to help peel wetsuits. Can you see all the people lining the helix behind us watching the swim?



Here’s Mike and Rachel, another pair of St. Paulites, also ready to strip:



Here’s Robby B, the wetsuit peeler captain, putting final touches on the way out of the water. The best thing about this photo is the other volunteer checking out Robby’s sweet, sweet ass:


Watch yourself, Robby!

The athletes started coming out of the water. What did we have to do as “Wetsuit Peelers?” The best way to explain it is to show you this video I made on Sunday:


Direct link on YouTube


So that’s what we did. I actually got to help strip Pro Triathlete Chris McDonald when he came out of the water. Chris was the winner of IMWI last year! Shortly after Chris ran off, I ran up to peeler captain Robby B (all giddy like a school-girl) and said “I got to strip big, sexy, Chris McDonald!” Robby laughed, reached into his pocket, pulled out some goggles, and threw them into my hands. “Here. He dropped his goggles as he ran off...” So for the rest of my time helping as a peeler, I had Chris’s goggles around my neck:


My brush with greatness!

Madison.com (an “internet newspaper” sort of website) had a few images from Ironman. Two of them featured Pharmie and I in the swim peeling area. Here’s the first one that is an intense photo of us at work:




Close-up of our intensity...

And here’s the second one that shows how wet you get as a peeler (with all the water flying), which is why we were both wearing our Sugoi tri shorts:



I like that image because (1) you can see that I’m still wearing Sexy McDonald’s goggles around my neck and (2) Mother Nature placed a shadow line in the PERFECT spot so my junk isn’t TOTALLY on display for you all.


Close-up

After a fun few hours of peeling, it was time to go inside and get ready to help these triathletes change out of their bike gear and into their run gear after riding 112 miles. But before I did that, I kissed Big Sexy’s goggles for luck and placed them back in his gear bag:


I hope Chris doesn’t mind lip marks...

More photos and videos coming in the next few days! If you missed the post below about Mike and Jenny at IM, make sure to check it out.

28 comments:

Shannon 7:24 AM, September 16, 2009  

You are hilarious.....you can strip me down any ol' day...with Pharmie's permission of course. ;)

Kim 7:34 AM, September 16, 2009  

you and pharmie should have been wearing masks - how about all that pee flying in your face when stripping off the wetsuits?! :)

Coach Liz 7:41 AM, September 16, 2009  

LOL, Chris may not even know about your man crush and how you kissed his goggles. That is funny stuff. Yeah, just what Kim said. I was thinking of all the pee in those wetsuits as well.

Ekanthapadhikan 7:46 AM, September 16, 2009  

Wow! That sounds a lot of fun!! Wish we had such sports in my country too!

cdnhollywood 8:13 AM, September 16, 2009  

You MUST send this post to Macca!

libgyrl 8:48 AM, September 16, 2009  

The video is super. :0)

LittleRachet 8:50 AM, September 16, 2009  

That guy you are stripping is one of our Des Moines locals. He went on to have a great race. No doubt in part to your great stripping ability!

triblog carol 8:52 AM, September 16, 2009  

I have to ask, are you a 'handsome boy' a 'smart boy' and a 'nice boy'? (refer to that chart you posted last friday)

t-odd 9:13 AM, September 16, 2009  

So funny! It was great running into you guys. You almost look angry at that guy. And you for got to point out that you might be getting wet with more than water.

X-Country2 9:29 AM, September 16, 2009  

That video got me really excited to do an IM some day.

Carolina John 9:37 AM, September 16, 2009  

wetsuit peelers? you mean you didn't want your name associated with the search term "strippers" on youtube?

looks like you had fun.

Calyx Meredith 9:51 AM, September 16, 2009  

That's a pretty rockin video! Looks a lot smoother than the strangled, wriggly maneuver I have to do to get out of my wetsuit by myself. Yay you and Pharmie for volunteering.

Unknown 9:57 AM, September 16, 2009  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ulyana 10:01 AM, September 16, 2009  

this is one of the best posts EVER! awesome that you volunteered, great photos, and I wonder if Chris knows, haha.

IronVince: IM WI 2009 and Beyond 10:11 AM, September 16, 2009  

And thanks to you and Pharmie for being my wetsuit stripper too. It was a great morale booster to see you two at the swim exit and then again on the run course.

How do I get to be a wetsuit peeler next year?

Katie 11:21 AM, September 16, 2009  

I love Pharmie's words...and let me tell you, that is my policy too!

Way to be super Iron supporters all day!! Although, you did miss getting me out my website after my epic swim finish line pulling.

You and Pharmie both give so much back to the sport and just 2 wonderful people. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get to meet, train, or race with you two crazy kids. :)

Mike 11:39 AM, September 16, 2009  

I always look forward to seeing strippers in action!!!

Joe V 12:38 PM, September 16, 2009  

Hilarious! It was great meeting you both. Wish it had been a better day for me, but there's always next year.

The Boring Runner 2:41 PM, September 16, 2009  

I'd laugh if Chris has some sort of google alert on his name and he runs across this...

"what the crap!?"

Keith 3:41 PM, September 16, 2009  

Stripper is also a job description used (or used to be used) in the graphics industry. I'm sure glad there are people willing to volunteer to do that, I have a heck of a time getting out of my suit.

Missy 9:32 PM, September 16, 2009  

I would be sleeping with those goggles and I ain't lying. I once heard a guy say he wore his HRM while stripping peoples and said he got into zone 3 a few times;) Not an easy job.

Rainmaker 10:15 AM, September 17, 2009  

That little video is pretty awesome. Looks like you were having a complete blast out there!

Ken Clay 3:07 PM, September 17, 2009  

This is why I shouldn't read blogs at work. I'm going to get caught laughing out loud!

Is there a support group for Goggle Kissers?

Julie @ ROJ Running 4:39 PM, September 17, 2009  

Wow I laughed so many times at this...paint strippers, you kissing goggles, the junk comment. Oh my. Thanks for the video, that was kinda neat to see.

Chris 6:01 PM, September 17, 2009  

Hey..... Big Sexy here :-)

This is Very very funny and steve should have just kept them as a souvenir. I will have to send him out a pair :-)

Chris

joyRuN 12:30 AM, September 22, 2009  

I'm sooooo late, but I loved these pics! What a blast :D

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.