Get Ready to Rock 10K

>> Saturday, September 12, 2009

Here’s just a quick report... I’m out in Madison getting ready to volunteer for Ironman Wisconsin tomorrow! It’s been a fun day!

Pharmie took off in the group of 20 milers about 5 minutes before I started. I started the 10K at the same time as the 5K runners who were about 1 block in front of us. I ended up passing all but 1 of the 5K runners in the first half mile.

Mile 1: 5:51. I was trying too hard to chase down the only other 5K runner that I hadn’t passed. Dumb. I didn’t need to go out that hard. (Plus, he went on to run a 16:00 5K, so he was out there on his own.)

Mile 2: 6:12. Rough mile. I ran the first mile too hard.

Mile 3: 6:06. Getting better. I had told myself that the next mile would be where I really start to pick it up...

Mile 4: 5:58. OK. Good. But I was DYING. It was humid, and I was gasping for air.

Mile 5: 5:49. So very rough. Wanted to be done. Trying to run hard to get it over quick.

Mile 6 and the last 0.2: 6:47. (5:39 pace) Glad to be done. Glad. To. Be. Done.

Results:
- 36:46 (5:55 / mile average)
- 1st out of 100? (don’t know yet)


This was my first 10K. I ran it all by myself: there was no one around me from about 50 feet into the run. I ended up winning the race by about 3 minutes. However, if I want to run the TC 10 Mile in 3 weeks in under 60 minutes, I need to hold that pace AND go another 4 miles. D’oh. That’s a downer.

OK, off to bed. There’s a BIG day of Ironman fun ahead! Good luck IM Triathletes!!

16 comments:

RunningLaur 11:26 PM, September 12, 2009  

Congrats on the huge first place! Have fun at IM tomorrow too!

Jo Lynn 11:48 PM, September 12, 2009  

Damn! That is so fast. So many of my blogger buddies are fast and coming in first in races. At least I can say I "know" people that are fast, huh?!
Great job!

Jumper 2.0 4:39 AM, September 13, 2009  

I think you're looking good for the 10 mile. You haven't tapered so with the rest, you should kick some pork!

Missy 7:14 AM, September 13, 2009  

Dang! That's some serious runnnin right there. Way to catch all those 5K sprinters. Looking for you on the ironman cam.

Coach Liz 1:53 PM, September 13, 2009  

Aha! You had that lightbulb moment that coming in first is not fun until you hit the finish line. Up until that point, it is pure hell!

Have you noticed that the hurt becomes more intense the moment you realize that you are a half a mile from the finish?

You can do it! Go for the 10 miles in 60 minutes. I know you have it in you.

MaineSport 4:39 PM, September 13, 2009  

Damn, those are good splits- fast and improving. Nice job.

X-Country2 8:20 PM, September 13, 2009  

Nice work! Can't wait to read the IM report.

GoBigGreen 11:36 AM, September 14, 2009  

whoa. Steve when you have people ahead of you at TCM 10 you will do it. BELIEVE. ( as melanie oudin did) and as long as you are smart on the early splits you WILL do it.

Chic Runner 12:08 PM, September 14, 2009  

steve. you are a freak. no one should run that fast. period.

Runner Leana 3:13 PM, September 14, 2009  

Wow, speedy!!! Nice job! I remember when I was running a 5K in that same time.

Anonymous,  7:04 PM, September 14, 2009  

I just want to say thanks for taking my wet suit off on Sunday I really enjoyed it. It has been a long time fantasy of mine. Just kidding, I did not participate. I was in Madison today to sign up for 2010 and was looking at pictures on Madison.com and thought to myself "god damn ain't that the goofy guy from Minnesota and his wife in that picture taking the wet suit off that guy??? I believe it was you two. Check it out at Madison.com

Anonymous,  7:16 PM, September 14, 2009  

This is the link to the picture. I cannot tell who is enjoying it more the strippers or the strippie! I hate to sound cruel but based upon the expression on your faces I think you both are disappointed that he was able to remain clothed after the stripping.


http://host.madison.com/sports/recreation/article_900bf478-a099-11de-8d97-00

Casey 7:47 PM, September 14, 2009  

Golly that's fast. If I came in first in a race, I would probably be so stoked that I wouldn't mind that I crapped my pants out of disbelief!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.