Find Me (At IMWI and in Triathlete Magazine!)

>> Thursday, September 10, 2009

First, if you want to meet up this weekend before IM WI, here’s some info on where Pharmie and I will be. We are racing Saturday morning: Pharmie’s doing a 20 miler, and I’m doing a 10K. After the race, we’re hopping in the car and heading out to Madison, WI. We HOPE to be out there around 4 for a quick “swim stripper” meeting. Just after that, we should be right about here, ACROSS the footbridge from the Terrace (the footbridge over all the racked bikes) and through the little narrow Terrace Park:



On Saturday, Pharmie and I will be there from about 4:15-4:45pm HOPEFULLY. Then we’ll be walking a few blocks to 5 pm church. (Anyone Catholic want to join in? You might accidentally hear me sing - sorry!) Then, probably around 6pm, we’ll stop back if anyone wants to meet up then. On Sunday, we’re volunteering as “swim strippers,” I’m volunteering in T2, and then we’re helping at a water stop on the run from 6-10 pm. Hope to see you out there!! Good luck racers!!

Secondly, you can find me in the new October issue of Triathlete Magazine! (Yes, the one with Nataline Coughlin in a bikini on the cover - hubba hubba...) Remember this photo I took in July of Matt Reed, Andy Potts, and Greg Bennett sprinting to the line in a SUPER close finish at the Minneapolis Lifetime Fitness Triathlon:



As they ran by, the crowd converged in the road to look down the finisher’s chute to see who would win. Well, on page 154 in the Oct 2009 Triathlete Mag, they have this photo of the finish:



Look closely to the right of Matt and Andy. Do you see the out-of-focus guy in khaki shorts, a purple tank top, and his hand crossed over his stomach? Yep, that’s me:



Wow. My first (of what’s sure to be many) appearance in Triathlete Mag. I’m famous now. ;) Ha!

BTW, Andy Potts is a good looking guy. What happened in that finisher’s photo?... Poor guy...

Oh, one more thing: What's with magazine cover's in Oct? The cover of Triathlete Magazine features a swimmer who states in the magazine that she doesn't want to do a triathlon. And the Oct cover of Runner's World features an amateur triathlete about to turn pro. What gives?

22 comments:

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 1:24 PM, September 10, 2009  

I'll be peeling on Sunday too and Nat and I will be working Mt. Horeb waterstop from noon till 5:30, so we may or may not see you there. We also will be at the finish line to watch the last couple of hours. If we sign up for 2010, we'll (at least I'll) be one of those that cross some where between 15 and 17 hours.

Also, if I remember, I'll bring my copy of Triathlete so you can sign it....

Jennifer 1:30 PM, September 10, 2009  

Bah! I'm looking at pg. 156 right now! Awesome debut Steve. What is up with that suit? You'd have to wax the hell out of yourself to wear it and then just pray your boobies stay put. Silly. Or is it ridiculous?

Renee 2:22 PM, September 10, 2009  

Wow! We will be able to say we knew you way back when before you got famous! Have a blast volunteering!

Shannon 2:53 PM, September 10, 2009  

I'm racing this weekend too. Olympic distance in DC, would love for you or Pharmie to strip me down~if your in the area.....LOL...

BTW, I have that copy on my nightstand, will keep it in hopes that one day you could autograph it.

Jeff McFarland 2:54 PM, September 10, 2009  

I'm a peeler too. I'll look for you Sunday morning.

Jeff

Tri Mommy 3:02 PM, September 10, 2009  

Congrats on the photo in Triathlete. You should blow it up poster size and circle yourself so that all can see.

Widget 3:09 PM, September 10, 2009  

Steve,

Met you way back during WIBA your Ironman year. (we rode together.)
I'll be out there doing my first on Sunday (#745) I'll look for you in the stripping area. . . umm wait, that sounded a bit weird. :)

Matt

Katie 3:22 PM, September 10, 2009  

I'm a swim finish line puller....will you and Pharmie do the honor of stripping me at the end of my swim volunteer time? :)

It'd be awesome to meet up while you are in town! I'm not sure if I will make it to the bridge at the appointed times, but I'll see what I can do.

Happy IM Weekend!

(Oh, and good luck on your races too)

X-Country2 3:24 PM, September 10, 2009  

That's awesome. You should sign it and give it back to the tri girl in the doctor's office you go to that signed the cover she was on. To "return the favor".

Diana 3:30 PM, September 10, 2009  

My friend and co-worker is doing IM WI this Sunday-2nd year in a row for her.
Sweet on the pic being in the magazine, it's just the beginning I'm sure-you take some really great photos!

Kim 3:42 PM, September 10, 2009  

congrats on your shining moment in triathlete magazine! did you see my pal IronMatron on page 140?!!!!

Rob 4:17 PM, September 10, 2009  

Can I have your autograph!? Great post, really liked this a lot.

Amber Dawn 5:23 PM, September 10, 2009  

looks like a good photo for the "Run Yourself Ugly" ad campaign by Nike

Jeff Vanis 6:29 PM, September 10, 2009  

Look at your debut! We are all expecting big things, I read your blog a lot but first time posting, also from the Twin Cities area.

Missy 7:01 PM, September 10, 2009  

Yeah, I had to stop getting those mags because they say the same thing year after year. I think it's the same company and they got their covers mixed up er somefin.

Erin 8:03 PM, September 10, 2009  

Now all we need is a runner on the cover of Bicycling, and the circle will be complete! :)

Michelle 6:38 AM, September 11, 2009  

I totally new that was you!
As for volunteering at IM....could that possibly mean you will be signing up to race in 2010?

The Boring Runner 1:47 PM, September 11, 2009  

Wow, you ARE a pretty famous now. Hopefully you don't do something crazy and start charging to check out the blog or something.

Wait, did this comment cost me money? Crap.

Julie @ ROJ Running 12:37 PM, September 13, 2009  

You crack me up posting how you're in the magazine...good time good time good times and actually I stopped reading a lot of the different magazines because it seemed there was such a blending of the sports. Don't get me wrong I am a runner and multisport athlete I love them both, but when I pick up a collection of articles and advice, I wanna know what I'm getting.

Sara Cox Landolt 12:13 PM, September 14, 2009  

What a beautiful day for racing & volunteering. My hubby & I went down to support my fellow Cinderella hour finishers - so much fun. It would have been great to meet you both. Funny thing about the magazine covers, I noticed similar things.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.