Recent Workouts and a New Goal for the TC 10 Mile

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Saturday, 9/12: 10K race. 36:46, but HARD.

Sunday, 9/13: IM WI volunteering. Long day. But SOO fun!

Monday, 9/14: rest. Sore from the weekend.

Tuesday, 9/15: lift weights and core work.

Wednesday, 9/16: 8 x 800 meters on the track. (with 90 seconds rest between.) I wanted to call it quits after 7. I actually grabbed my things and started walking home. But I stopped after 30 meters, turned around, dropped my stuff, and did my 8th and final interval. I was very proud that I was able to do that. Here were my splits:

2:44
2:38
2:36
2:39
2:38
2:37
2:38
2:38
Average of 2:38.5 / 800.

I did all that while trying to ignore the puke just off the track at about the 120 meter mark on the back stretch... yuck.

Thursday, 9/17: 16 x 100 yards in the pool. (with 20 seconds rest between.) 1:27, 1:32, 1:30, 1:32, 1:29, 1:33, 1:32, 1:32, 1:33, 1:33, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34, 1:32, 1:35, 1:34. Average of 1:32.1 / 100 yards. They felt hard and slow. Good thing triathlon season is over. ;)

Friday, 9/18: 9.5 mile run and core work. This was going to be one of those “let’s see what this predicts for the upcoming race” sort of a run. And ya know what? It was rough. Really rough. Twice I had to stop and walk for a few seconds. I ran “out” in 30:10, and “back” in 29:22 for a total of 59:32 (6:16 / mile). And that’s with stopping my watch when I had to walk. The real finishing time (with walking breaks and stop-lights added back in) is 1:01:10.

When I got home, I was SWEATY. I didn’t want my leg to touch the floor because of how moist it was:



And my core was equally sweaty. And hairy. And it doesn’t matter how skinny you are, there’s always that bunched-up loose skin around the midsection. I'm sorry for how gross I am:


Nasty. Or delicious. Or nasty.

Saturday, 9/19: rest. Ate a LOT of Red Lobster biscuits with my family.

Sunday, 9/20: 5 mile tempo run. I wore my racing flats as a test to see if they’d hold up for the TC 10 Mile. They won’t. I ran “out” in 15:21 and “back” in 14:24 for a total of 29:45. That run sealed the deal: Sub-60 in the TC 10 Mile is not going to happen.

I’m not trying to be a downer or to sell myself short. It’s just really not going to happen. Back in July, I said that sub-60 was my “dream goal” that I was going to train towards, but I didn’t know how plausible it was. About a month ago, I started thinking it WAS something I could do. I ran a 10K at the end of an Oly tri in 39:33 in June, and ran another 10K at the end of an Oly tri a few weeks ago in 38:16. That’s progress!

But these recent runs tell me sub-60 is not in the cards this year. Sub-61 will even be tough. I’m NOT trying to sandbag. I’ll still leave EVERYTHING out there on race day (Oct 4th). I’m just being realistic. If I end up going out too hard, I’ll implode and end up having to walk around mile 6. This race will be quite the test at my racing strategy and my mental toughness.

In other news, this Saturday Team Happy Pants is reuniting to try to defend our “team title” (and our “team course record”) at the Cannon-Wells Duathlon south of the Cities.


TEAM HAPPY PANTS!! Yay!

There are some “CVA Triathlon Club” students coming along to do their first duathlons as well, so it should be fun!! (1 student is doing it all himself, 2 CVAers are teaming up, and 1 CVAer is teaming up with a non-student friend.)

Check back Saturday night or Sunday to see how it all goes down!!

Then, the weekend after that is the TC 10 Mile! (Oh, and check back tomorrow for some race photos from Pharmie’s, Jen's, and my Oly Tri a few weeks ago.)

17 comments:

Anonymous,  6:58 AM, September 22, 2009  

Sounds like a tough training week. Way to keep at it for those 800s

Jen Feeny 7:53 AM, September 22, 2009  

LMAO at your "nasty or delicious or nasty" pic...

B.o.B. 8:25 AM, September 22, 2009  

I think you are being smart about your race and should be realistic. That being said, I hope you get sub-60. You are very quick and only getting stronger.

Team Happy Pants is a tremendous team name. Now how on earth did you think of that one? ;)

the.mrrr 8:39 AM, September 22, 2009  

Your puke or someone else's???

Missy 8:42 AM, September 22, 2009  

Still smokin fast - I like to go with a goal (realistic and attainable but not a sandbag) and a stretch goal (where the stars are aligned, I feel perfect and the weather is aces).

t-odd 9:25 AM, September 22, 2009  

Do you really think you should make predictions for race day based on a tempo run after eating a "LOT" of Red Lobster biscuits the night before? I think not!

Keep running fast. I get the feeling you might surprise yourself.

RobbyB 9:34 AM, September 22, 2009  

Do NOT let the sub-60 goal go away.

That would be doing yourself and all the hard work done to date a disservice. Dream or not, do NOT compromise now, or you will never, ever reach your goal.

Suck it up buttercup and get after it.

RunningLaur 10:20 AM, September 22, 2009  

Mmmm cheddar bay biscuits.

I know no matter what your goal is for the 10mi is, you'll leave everything you have out there. You'll have the absolute best time you can for the day, and that's something to be proud of. (and it'll be about twice as fast as I run!)

Rachel 11:17 AM, September 22, 2009  

Have fun with the 10 mile--even if sub 60 doesn't happen--there are more years to accomplish that goal. Hoping it isn't a hot or rainy one!!

X-Country2 11:21 AM, September 22, 2009  

You need to wear the yellow shorty shorts to have a chance, I think.

Calyx Meredith 11:32 AM, September 22, 2009  

Yay for sticking it out for that 8th interval. (It's helpful for me to know that fast people really, really want to quit a little short sometimes too.) Great job with the CVA'ers and their first duathlon. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Chic Runner 12:16 PM, September 22, 2009  

Nice job and I'm excited to see how the duathlon goes! :) Good luck to them! And seriously, these sweaty pictures? ew ha ha

Heather 2:39 PM, September 22, 2009  

LOVE Red Lobster cheesy bisquits. Yummy.

Kim 3:25 PM, September 22, 2009  

solid workouts steve. you and matt are gonna kick butt this weekend! hey whats a red lobster biscuit?

Coach Liz 4:05 PM, September 22, 2009  

Ok, go out there and run that course as if you know you could run a sub 60 but you really don't want to show off and make some other guy cry because you whuped him bad. Just F--- with his mind. Play with him like a cat plays with a mouse. I have heard that shouting out "Domo Origato Mr. Roboto!" can throw people off kilter enough for them to loose a few seconds and get behind in their pace. Also shouting "SQUIRREL" works well too.

Use every trick in the bag and see what happens. You might just surprise yourself. Oh, and don't forget to empty the bowels out so you won't be carrying around so much weight on the run.

Trisaratops 8:19 AM, September 23, 2009  

Interesting CHOICE OF ADJECTIVE.

You know what I'm talking about!

:)

Anonymous,  9:05 AM, September 24, 2009  

Love the abdominal folds. A concession to your mortality. After all, nobody's perfect. Besides, great for storage. Who knows, what'll turn up in there. Those lost lecture notes, that spare set of car keys.

Just make sure you wash in there, regularly.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.