Rough 9 Miler

>> Wednesday, September 09, 2009

This morning before a meeting, I headed out for my long run of the week: a 9 miler. It went OK. It could have been better - it could have been worse. I had mapped out a 9 mile route, and took off. I wanted to try to run the middle part of the run HARD (maybe about 30% through 70% of the way through the run).

I went out a little easier. I hit mile 1 in 6:30. (It's great how 2 years ago 6:30 was my "5K race pace," and today it was my "warm-up as part of a 9 miler pace!!!") I tried picking it up, but my heel was a little sore, and the bottom of my feet were still a little sore from Sunday's Oly in racing flats. Neither of those things should have slowed me down, but they shifted my focus a little too much.

I hit my turn around in 29:06. I worked hard on the way back, but it could have been harder. I ran my last full mile in 5:48, and ran the last half in 27:21, for a total of 56:27 (6:16 / mile). My heel was SORE, and that should have been faster. Last week, I did my 8 miler on that same course in 6:07/mile. I have some work to do over the next few weeks to be able to hit 60 in the TC 10 Mile.

In other news, Ironman Wisconsin is this weekend!!! Pharmie and I are going out to volunteer. If you'll be out there, we'd LOVE to meet up!! I don't know when the athlete's dinner is (the website didn't say), but we'll be out there for a quick meeting on Saturday at 4:00 pm. So I'm thinking we could meet at 4:30 pm on Saturday just outside of the Terrace. How about on the edge of all the action, between the finishline area and the Terrace: at the corner of Wilson and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, directly under the bulls-eye on this map:



The PLACE should stay the same, but check back because the TIME might change. Good luck athletes!! See you out there!!

UPDATE: Pharmie and I will probably have to leave around 4:45, but we could be back around 6 pm on Saturday night. So maybe a quick meet-up at 4:30ish for just a few minutes, but a longer meet-up possible at 6 on Saturday. Check back for more details.......

14 comments:

Kris 2:58 PM, September 09, 2009  

Hey Steve!
I will be out there to race (ugh..) and Mark will be there spectating. Athlete dinner and meeting is Friday night 5:30pm. Hope we can meet up with you before the race!
~Kris

trimybest 3:10 PM, September 09, 2009  

I think the athlete dinner is on Friday. But I could be wrong. The time is listed in the athlete packet on the main page. I have it printed out at home. I'm excited! See you there!

Steve Stenzel 3:11 PM, September 09, 2009  

If the dinner is Friday, then hopefully this meet-up on Saturday around 4:30 will work! Thanks!!

Pharmie 3:40 PM, September 09, 2009  

Hey! Sent you an email. Are we still planning on hitting up church?

Ms. R 4:02 PM, September 09, 2009  

Word - I'll try to make it with Mr. Fury. We'll be volunteering as well. Wetsuit peeling and at the finish line catching 5:30-9:30. What are you guys doing??

Maria 6:14 PM, September 09, 2009  

sooo...volunteering this year...racing next year?!

t-odd 7:00 PM, September 09, 2009  

Hey - volunteering this year, too. (Racing next year - fingers crossed.) We are catching bikes and have the 5 AM transition bag sort. We are staying at the Sheraton on John Nolan. Hopefully we will run into each other.

Unknown 11:04 PM, September 09, 2009  

Wait... hold ON! I take a break from reading blogs... I come back and you're running 6 min miles??? What. The. HELL!?

Yay YOU!

Breathe...

Marit C-L 11:46 PM, September 09, 2009  

Have a GREAT time in Wisconsin! You had a VERY solid long run - you are super speedy! Don't get down on yourself...its been a long season and you're just coming off of a race. I still think you're super fast :) But I know you'll be in your top groove for the TC 10 miler - enjoy!

Missy 4:57 AM, September 10, 2009  

Um, is this a sign for 2010? Back at it in ironland? Mmmm, very curious. Volunteers ARE the key, though.

Lindsay 6:27 AM, September 10, 2009  

"It's great how 2 years ago 6:30 was my "5K race pace," and today it was my "warm-up as part of a 9 miler pace!!!"

i semi-enjoy hearing this. i'm ready to see my own results like that!!! i keep hearing of it happening to others and hope it happens to me one day... soon, preferably :)

have fun at IMWI! i need to volunteer for a race (or more)... it's fun to be on the non-running end too.

IronVince: IM WI 2009 and Beyond 7:40 AM, September 10, 2009  

Hope to see you @ the terrace. Heidi is dying to meet all these people from WIBA and online that I talk about all the time.

X-Country2 9:00 AM, September 10, 2009  

They should really put the "Steve and Pharmie meet and greet" on the official website agenda. That's like, the main attraction!

libgyrl 10:53 AM, September 10, 2009  

I'll look for you at the Terrace! You'll recognize me by my nervous pacing ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.