Personal Job Search News

>> Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I share a lot on this blog, but it's not all *personal* personal. It's stuff about my pre-race bowel habits, close-ups of what racing hard does to my feet, etc, etc. But I don't post a ton of my "work life."

A lot of you know that the College of Visual Arts (my alma mater and where I've been teaching for 8 years) announced it was closing in January. (I've been posting about it now-and-then on my Photo Blog, and here's the link to my first post about this where I had to first address the students and their parents at an all-school assembly.) My last day is Friday. After that, there are really only 2 or 3 staff members still on the payroll to wrap up loose ends and finalize the sale of the buildings and any remain assets.

I started looking for a job right away in January. I'm still in the adjunct pool at the University of Minnesota, so I hope I can get a class or 2 there in the near future, but it's hard to "get back in" once they've found new professors. I applied for a few full-time technical school teaching positions, but never heard anything back. I just turned in 2 more adjunct applications to local colleges. I had a nice lead on a possible position at an ACTC college, but that fell through when they didn't budget for ventilation for the new darkroom they wanted to set up.

My best lead was a Photo Tech position at a great local private college. I had my second-round interview last week, and it went pretty well. It was going to be a good fit - my CVA paycheck stops on Friday, and this job would start RIGHT AWAY on Monday. I'd officially be jobless for the weekend. Sweet.

But I wasn't picked for that position.

After Friday, I'm unemployed for the first time.

I've taught 58 college-level courses over the last 8 years, as well as countless workshops for adults, college students, and high schoolers. And it's scary for me to say that I don't know the next time I'll see the inside of a classroom.

The good news is that Pharmie is the major bread winner, so we can afford to have me be a stay-at-home Dad for a while. And that IS the good news: I get to spend the summer with my favorite little guy.

In the meantime, I'll be looking and applying for every local photo-related teaching position I can. It was fitting that early this morning, I ran into this image on a friend's Instagram:



I'm hippie enough to like this, but I'm not waiting on "the universe" - I'll get my resume out there as much as possible. But I'm hoping this is all part of Someone's master plan...

6 comments:

cdnhollywood 3:04 PM, May 29, 2013  

Things happen for a reason - it may not seem like it, but it's true. And no matter how bad the job, you ALWAYS get something positive out of it that you can take elsewhere.

Trust me on this - I've worked in hi-tech for over 16yrs now and I've had my fair share of job changes (self-induced and otherwise). No matter what, you always come out better and stronger.

I'd recommend not rushing the resume/CV. Be sure the wording is concise and points to RESULTS. That will advertise value to them, and it's the points you talk about in the interviews. Provide references that can backup your statements and the results. Keep in mind that what you produced goes into the CV, and how you achieved them is what you present in the interview.

And don't be afraid to find a recruiter - pick one, don't let yourself be picked. Look into agencies with a known track record like Robert Half or someone similar. They have insight into jobs that aren't even out on the market yet.

Don't worry - there's something out there for ya.

giraffy 3:24 PM, May 29, 2013  

Strangely, that instagram is a picture of my friend (and fellow-blogger Holly's) bedroom - nothingbutbonfires.com.

I agree with above - a recruiter can be a huge help, even if you don't see what you're looking for listed, they may have heard of something.

Good luck!

Jeremy Reichenberger 10:27 PM, May 29, 2013  

Steve!

I can say from experience that you're an amazing professor to have. The U would be lucky to have you again. I can also say from experience that the U needs more rad/fun/engaging professors in the art department (like yourself.)

You were the one who taught me how to even use my camera (which I need to pick back up and start using more often.) You are also the one who got me a lot more into running/tri, which I am now obsessed with/can't get enough of.

You're a great leader and mentor/someone to look up to. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll be just fine. Plus, if it makes you feel any better - I'm in recent college grad zone where I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life, and will be similarly unemployed in a handful of weeks.

Best,

"Former student" Jeremy

TriMOEngr 7:28 AM, May 30, 2013  

Both my husband and I have dealt with unemployment at times in our 18 year marriage. The worst time was when we were BOTH laid off (and I had always been the "steady" paycheck). But it has always worked out and the special time we had with our kids was better than any paycheck. Our kids totally have a different view of layoffs - they say "Cool, I get to hang out with dad/mom!" LOL I'm sure Henry will totally agree with all the fun times with dad. You guys will kill your dad/Henry running miles from last year. :)

Mike,  12:33 PM, May 31, 2013  

Jesus, I trust in you.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Jim Smith II 10:32 AM, June 01, 2013  

Steve - As the esteemed Dr. Peter Venkman said "Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma, I believe everything happens for a reason"

All kidding aside, the most important thing is for you to stay positive. Hang in there.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.