Speed Saturday 05: Stairs at the State Fair

>> Saturday, January 03, 2009

First: Friday Night on the Trainer: Yep. I finally gave in and hit the trainer. I HATE the trainer. But I had a plan. I was going to watch the hour long “Simpson’s / The Family Guy Comedy Block” from 6-7 pm, and then do a 30 minute “Spinervals” DVD workout. That would be 90 minutes on the trainer. I didn’t know if I could do it.

The great news was that the Simpson’s was one that I HADN’T SEEN BEFORE! It’s the one where Homer drinks something to forget what had just happened earlier in the day. Then The Family Guy was a rerun that I had seen a million times. (The one where Stewie shrinks himself and goes inside of Peter to kill all of his sperm. “Do you know what today is? Today is a bad day to be a sperm!” Good stuff.)

So I actually did the entire workout as planned! And as proof, here’s the little bit of sweat that missed hitting the “bike thong” sweat collector:



Next: Speed Saturday at the Coliseum: My foot was pretty beat up from running hard on Thursday (4:54.6 mile!!) in my spikes, and it shows:



I didn’t think it’d be a problem for running stairs today, and it was fine. Steph and I showed up at the Coliseum at the Minnesota State Fair, saw Jeremy right away, and then Jen showed up a minute later. We were all ready to get to work:


Steph, Jeremy, Uggo, Jen

Steph was just going to run around the outside of the arena. Jeremy, Jen, and I were going to do a Crossfit workout on the stairs. Here was the plan that was inspired by blogger buddy Darcy:

• Run up and down stairs (94 total steps - 47 up, 47 down)
• 15 Push-ups
• Run up and down stairs
• 15 Tri-dips
• Repeat for 20 minutes

We each grabbed a stairway. I grabbed the steps between sections 19 and 20:



Here’s Jeremy and Jen showing where we did our push-ups and tri-dips at the bottom of the stairs:



So we were off. I was able to run up and down the stairs (and do either push-ups or dips at the bottom) a total of 25 times in 20:18. That’s exactly 2350 stairs, 195 push-ups, and 180 dips. All done in just over 20 minutes. It was a good workout. Here I am as soon as I finished:


(with a slight appearance by the "vein of approval"
in the middle of my forehead)

After running a few laps with the gang and cooling down for a minute, I decided to run more stairs around the Coliseum.



I took off up the steps, over to the next section, down the steps, over to the next section, etc, etc. I did 2 full laps around the Coliseum (first one in 7:11, second one in 7:08). That was around 1500 steps / loop, for a total of another 3000 stairs.

Here I am after running all those stairs. I’m out of focus, and all that is in focus is the little girl behind me skating on the ice (with the aid of a walker). Creepy!


Yep, I’m a big creep.

Anyway, for a $3 entry fee I did 5340 stairs, 195 push-ups and 180 tri-dips (and about a mile of warm-up / cool-down). It was a good way to spend the morning on a cool Saturday in MN!

And guess what I get to do tomorrow?!? I’m heading to the Vikings playoff game with Pharmie, Borsch, and Steph! GO VIKES!!

34 comments:

Collin Kromke 3:09 PM, January 03, 2009  

You are a workout MANIAC!

Oh, and GO VIKES!!!

Born To Endure 3:13 PM, January 03, 2009  

You know..every time I get a blister or lose a toenail..or anything gross..I have this crazy urge to post it on my blog and be a Stevealike..hee hee

GoBigGreen 3:14 PM, January 03, 2009  

Wowee! super gross blister.
And next time you should pack a yoga mat so you dont get your paws raw on the concrete doing push ups.
Glad you hit the trainer!

X-Country2 3:39 PM, January 03, 2009  

Ewwww, you need to warn people when you post blisters like that!

Have fun at the Vikes game. :o)

Kelly 3:55 PM, January 03, 2009  

You know, I LOVE the Simpsons, but I don't know if I've seen that one either... a newer one, perhaps? I own seasons 1-11 on dvd.

Mel-2nd Chances 4:28 PM, January 03, 2009  

You got your money's worth with that workout! Great job! Enjoy the game tomorrow :)

LHE 5:02 PM, January 03, 2009  

... and no skating; since you were there??? You are so cute - you always, ALWAYS have that same smile and expression on your face! Love the blister; always love the blisters .... keep 'em coming.... LOL.

Anonymous,  6:18 PM, January 03, 2009  

You've transcended your own (considerable) genius for beautiful foot photos. Maybe it's the material.

Have you considered an installation about feet?

Something tells me, you have.

Lucky, lucky Pharmie, who comes home every day not to one but to two just like it, which the rest of us unfortunates only get to savor vicariously in art which, however glorious, can never be as genuine, as the salty original....

Or can it? What would Plato say? The cave, and all....

Who cares? Just tell us when STEVE'S FOOT opens at The Guggenheim, so we can all say, we knew IT, back in the day....

Signed,
Your Cynic Doggy

Anonymous,  6:28 PM, January 03, 2009  

P.S. Cynic Doggy = synecdoche. Get it? Not many people do (get my puns), so I'm forced to help them out. Sorry....

Diana 6:39 PM, January 03, 2009  

thanks for the comment on my post. I love this workout. What a great idea to get out of the frickin' cold midwest winter weather! I will have to check into this. Sounds kind of like a 'crossfit' workout...ever check those out???
I wish I could share in the excitement of your Vikings playoff game, but being a die-hard pack fan...well you know the rest!!! Thanks for checking in. I hope you don't mind I put you on my sidebar!

Kevin 6:55 PM, January 03, 2009  

You know, every now and then a warning might be nice before you gross us out.

That was a truly hardocre workout

Kate 7:09 PM, January 03, 2009  

Sweet workout!

PS I think the little girl on the ice is cute as can be. I never thought to tell my patients to take their walkers on the ice. As a PT, that seems like an accident waiting to happen but if you walk with one why not skate with one. :)

joyRuN 8:33 PM, January 03, 2009  

Sweet!

You get to see the Eagles tomorrow!!! How LUCKY ;)

chia 8:59 PM, January 03, 2009  

Hey man -- hope the game is brilliant!!!

Your workout makes my ass look fat. Evil.

Jumper 2.0 9:26 PM, January 03, 2009  

$3???

Oooops!

I just went in the door and started running on Friday. Didn't see anybody to pay $3 to. (and didn't know I was suppose too).


Oooops!

Aka Alice 11:25 PM, January 03, 2009  

Dear Lord, your feet are about the scariest thing I've ever seen... I can't believe you don't have mile-deep callouses by now.

Casey 11:45 PM, January 03, 2009  

Mmm, that blister reminds me of prosciutto. Deeee-lish.

Great work out! That sounds pretty hardcore. Not as hardcore as ice skating w/ a walker, but...

Jess 8:25 AM, January 04, 2009  

That's a whole lotta stairs!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) 8:30 AM, January 04, 2009  

Great idea!
We looked for you at the Polar Dash.... but everybody has dressed in running gear on the outside, not underneath, so we knew it wasn't you out in front.

Jim Smith II 9:45 AM, January 04, 2009  

Enjoy the game (Go Vikes!) and thanks for making it a sellout!

Missy 9:48 AM, January 04, 2009  

I love the playoffs! Yet another reason to sit on my ass all day:)

Marlene 9:53 AM, January 04, 2009  

Crazy workout and $3 well spent.

Michelle 12:02 PM, January 04, 2009  

Go Vikings!! Thats hockey right??? :O)

So, dude when do you like stop working out and get like sleep and stuff??? Do you even have time to poop???

:O)

Enjoy the game!!!

Unknown 12:15 PM, January 04, 2009  

The Coliseum workouts look like they really could kick someone's ass... guess I should be glad that we don't have a coliseum around here! :) Hope you all have fun at the game!

Marcy 1:09 PM, January 04, 2009  

Dude I hope you don't touch the Mrs with those feet *cringe*

Very impressive sweat pools! I only average around 2 drops on the floor LOL

Jess 2:12 PM, January 04, 2009  

BOOO Vikes! Let's go Eagles!!

haha p.s. great workout!

Trishie 4:23 PM, January 04, 2009  

nice workout! (of course)

and I LOVE when I see a Simpsons I haven't seen before. such a treat! :)

as for that Family Guy epi: "love lift us up where we belong.."

triguyjt 8:41 PM, January 04, 2009  

very cool workout...
looks like you are getting a lot out of that facility...and hey..just 3 bucks a pop...not too bad at all..

Michelle 10:23 PM, January 04, 2009  

Whoa! Hard friggin' core! Happy New Year!!

RooBabs 10:56 AM, January 05, 2009  

When you first mentioned that you had tickets to the game, I was totally jealous. But after the way the game turned out, I'm glad I wasn't there. I think I would have cried and threw beer on someone (and I don't even drink beer).

P.S. My husband thinks he has nice feet, but I beg to differ. However, after seeing so much of your feet, his feet are works of art- ha ha! (he obviously doesn't run anymore)

Darcy Franklin 2:21 PM, January 05, 2009  

Nice job on the workout! I did one yesterday that will take a few days to recover from.

Darcy Franklin 2:21 PM, January 05, 2009  

Oh, and thanks for the shout out!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.