4 Workouts In Paradise!

>> Monday, January 19, 2009

1. 10km run with Pharmie. On our first full day in Cozumel last week, we got up and went for a run. Here we are all ready to go (YAY for running shirtless in Jan!):



This was my first run in my new Zeal sunglasses. And it was our first run together in a LONG time! I was going to push her to a speedy tempo run.

We headed out of our resort and down a frontage road along the main road. Here’s Pharmie working hard near the turn-around:



And she snapped a photo of me just after turning back towards home:



When we stopped, Pharmie said, “Oh Jeez, your back is SOO sweaty!” So she took a photo:



One workout down!

2. 18km long run (11.2 miles). Two days after my run with Pharmie, I wanted to go on my long run for the week. Luckily, our resort was right next to a kilometer marker on the highway, so I knew how far I was going.


My route on the SW corner of the island
(out and back on this route)

I hit the turn around in 38:20.

I turned back and started picking up the pace. I went harder and harder, and I was afraid I’d have to stop. With 5K left, I kept telling myself that I “just had a 5K left.” Then just 4K. Then just 3K. I was breaking down. I told myself I could walk with 2K left. But I was able to run through that. I thought I could make it, but with about 1.5K left, I had to stop and walk for a minute.

Including the walking time, I ran the second half in 34:21. So I still negative split the run by nearly 4 minutes. I never know how to take “having to walk:” is it a failed run? Or is it good because now I know where my “line” is? I REALLY didn’t want to walk, but I can’t complain about going 11.2 miles at 6:30 pace overall.

I got back, and I had road grime all over my neck. And JUST my neck. Weird.



3. 10km tempo run. Two days after my long run, I went out on the same route Pharmie and I ran a few days before. I think it ended up being a little shorter than a 10K. I ran out in 19:10.

I picked up the pace and made it back without having to stop and walk (even though it was getting really tough) in just under 18:00. My total time was 37:05 (5:59/mile pace).

4. Upper body workout. One day before leaving, I spent 1:20 in the gym at the resort. They didn’t have much for machines - pretty much just the basics. But I made it a killer workout. Overall, I did:

8 sets on the bench
8 sets for biceps
8 sets for triceps
6 sets for lats
7 sets for back
7 sets for shoulders

If you’ve been a long time reader, you know that sometimes I keep track of how much I lift and then multiply the numbers to see how much weight I lifted during the workout just for fun (so 50 pounds lifted for 10 reps equals 500 pounds). This upper body only workout totaled 37,024 pounds. Sweet. I maybe would have kept working, but Pharmie came to get me so we could go to supper.

And it's only 5 days to the Winter Carnival Half Marathon! I’m still shooting for a PR of sub-1:29! One last long run today before the race. (I’m not much for tapering.) I’ll let you know how it goes.

p.s. In the next week or 2, I’ll have a little “course preview” Ironman Cozumel. So if you’re racing IM COZ 09, let me know - I’ll be giving you my thoughts shortly.

35 comments:

Ordinarylife 5:44 AM, January 19, 2009  

Looks like you had a fantastic time!!

Runner Susan 6:51 AM, January 19, 2009  

Just on the neck? How weird. Looks like a fantastic vacation!

Unknown 6:59 AM, January 19, 2009  

It is weird that you got that road stuff just on your neck. Makes no sense.

joyRuN 8:05 AM, January 19, 2009  

Impressed that you got any kind of workout in while in paradise, much less FOUR!

Shannon 8:15 AM, January 19, 2009  

That gym workout is pretty intense, you absolutely were sore the next day, right? When I went on vacation I only walked to the balcony, walked to dinner, walked to see a show, walked to the pool. Good for you crazy man.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 8:42 AM, January 19, 2009  

I always THINK I am going to work out on vacation but those sneakers usually sit around doing nothing...

I am surprised you managed to run beside a highway in Mexico without getting killed by crazy drivers!

Jess 8:48 AM, January 19, 2009  

Great job fitting in the runs on your vacation!

Missy 9:09 AM, January 19, 2009  

I was wondering where the vacation part came into play???!

X-Country2 9:25 AM, January 19, 2009  

I'm kind of with Pharmie on this one. A good work out here or there to break up all the napping.

Kim 9:26 AM, January 19, 2009  

wow your workouts seemed to get done a lot easier than ours in costa rica! how were the road conditions?! thankfully there probably never be an IM in costa rica - the damn rock roads are not conducive to running - or driving for that matter! way to get some awesome workouts in!

Anonymous,  9:27 AM, January 19, 2009  

My mentee and I are going to run the 5K on Saturday. Hopefully the weather will be bearable!

Marlene 9:30 AM, January 19, 2009  

Wow, kudos to both of you for running (and working out) on vacation. It must have been hot!

Gotta Run..... 9:35 AM, January 19, 2009  

Do you know how hard it is to see this post and know that it is in the teens here!!!!!!!! You both are killing me :(

Nice workouts.

Kelly 9:52 AM, January 19, 2009  

Thanks for the blogging tips!

I will be spending my vacation NOT working out :)

J~Mom 10:55 AM, January 19, 2009  

You guys made good use of your time!! I am impressed!

Marathon Maritza 11:25 AM, January 19, 2009  

Wow, looks like you got SO much done! Fun!

Anonymous,  12:00 PM, January 19, 2009  

You're too handsome to run topless. You'll cause traffic accidents....

Chic Runner 1:03 PM, January 19, 2009  

These pictures are hilarious and GREAT run out there! :) Glad you got some warm weather!

Jess 1:14 PM, January 19, 2009  

Congrats on great workouts while on vacation!

Unknown 1:35 PM, January 19, 2009  

With that kind of great training, you should have a great shot at breaking your PR in the half. Good luck!

The pictures were fantastic. It looks like you had a great time.

My Life 1:37 PM, January 19, 2009  

Good on you for getting the workouts in during vacation. As for the grime... maybe your neck isn't as sweaty as say, your back? Grime there just pours off with the sweat?? ;)

rolf 2:25 PM, January 19, 2009  

Working out while on vacation, four times no less. Amazing. Would have been pacificos, ceviche and the beach for me! Good luck with your PR this weekend!

Anonymous,  3:09 PM, January 19, 2009  

But couldn't we have just one lil'ole GROSS FOOT PHOTO, for ole times sake....

P.S. How DO you get such white, shiny teeth?

Aka Alice 4:53 PM, January 19, 2009  

Neck grime = eeeewww

Walking when you've hit the line is never shameful...but I typically feel the same way.

Julianne 4:54 PM, January 19, 2009  

That is simply amazing... that you ran so much on your vacation! Great job!!

Kevin 6:20 PM, January 19, 2009  

I guess we should be happy to see neck grime and not some nasty foot grime. Sounds like it was a good place to run

teacherwoman 7:09 PM, January 19, 2009  

More wonderfu pictures to rub in the warm weather you were able to enjoy! LOL... that and Sweaty Steve.

Charisa 7:34 PM, January 19, 2009  

road grime - must have been a great workout!!

Michelle 10:08 PM, January 19, 2009  

Wow dude your amazing!!

I am running a half mary this weekend and i am hoping i finish in 2.30. HAHA, slow compared to your sub 1.29 goal!!!

Happy Monday!!!

SixTwoThree 7:56 AM, January 20, 2009  

Love all the great shots from your trip! Thanks for the virtual visit :-)

jen 12:00 PM, January 20, 2009  

Gorgeous pictures! What a fun trip to take in the middle of a very rough winter. :)

CoachLiz 5:14 PM, January 20, 2009  

IM Cozumel spoken here! Keep me in the loop!

Alisa 8:53 PM, January 22, 2009  

NICE!!!!! Nothing like vacation workouts!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.