>> Tuesday, December 13, 2011
On Saturday, I mentioned some of the great books at Velo Press. They have awesome books for athletes, and they have a GREAT "Triathlon" category. (I have FIVE books from their Triathlon page that range from "how to," to inspirational, to simply funny.)
Well, Velo Press sent me a few copies of their newest book for me to giveaway to my readers! (It was just published last month.) Here it is:
When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with pro cyclists, he found a peloton weary of food. For years the sport's elite athletes had been underperforming on bland fare and processed bars and gels. Science held few easy answers for nutrition in the real world, where hungry athletes must buy ingredients; make meals; and enjoy eating before, during, and after each workout, day after day.
So Lim set out to make eating delicious and practical. His journey began with his mom, took him inside the kitchens of the Tour de France, and delivered him to a dinner party where he met celebrated chef Biju Thomas.
Chef Biju and Dr. Lim vetted countless meals with the world's best endurance athletes in the most demanding test kitchens. In The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes, Thomas and Lim share their energy-packed, wholesome recipes to make meals easy to prepare, delicious to eat, and better for performance.
The Feed Zone Cookbook provides 150 delicious recipes that even the busiest athletes can prepare in less time than it takes to warm up for a workout. With simple recipes requiring just a handful of ingredients, Biju and Lim show how easy it is for athletes to prepare their own food, whether at home or on the go.
The Feed Zone Cookbook strikes the perfect balance between science and practice so that athletes will change the way they think about food, replacing highly processed food substitutes with real, nourishing foods that will satisfy every athlete's cravings.
The Feed Zone Cookbook includes:
- 150 delicious recipes illustrated with full-color photographs
- Allen Lim’s take on the science and practice of food
- Portable whole foods, including Lim's famous rice cakes and more
- Dozens of quick-prep meals for before and after workouts
- Shortcuts, substitutions, and techniques to save time in the kitchen
I have 4 of these books in my house right now, and I'm giving 3 of them away. (Pharmie's excited that we get to keep one!) Here's what I noticed about the book:
- It's over 300 pages, and has some GREAT looking recipes!
- Each recipe has a big color picture to go with it so you can see if it looks good to you.
- There's an ingredients index so you could say "I've got some ham... what can I do with this ham?"
- Each recipe has nutrition facts listed.
- Many of the recipes are gluten free which made Pharmie happy (she's basically gluten free right now due to some of Henry's food insensitivities that come through her breast milk).
- The first 28 pages are an intro that is very scientific regarding how we "use" food and what our body needs. I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I have read many of the interesting points in the intro.
My copy of the book.
TO ENTER TO WIN THE FEED ZONE COOKBOOK:
JUST LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS POST!! Yep, that's it. Ba-da-bing: you're in the running to possibly win 1 of 2 copies of this cookbook. I'll randomly pick two comments to win.
I'm going to give the 3rd copy away to a random "Fan of Steve in a Speedo" on Facebook. I'll randomly pick someone from that group, so join the group if you'd like another chance to win the cookbook!
Then check back early next week (Dec 19th or 20th) to see if I draw your name as 1 of the 3 the winners!
- Just like in all of my giveaways, Velo Press has only given me these books; they have not asked or told me to say anything else. All of these thoughts are my own.
- When you leave a comment, please "sign" your name if you don't have a blogger account, otherwise it will be hard to figure out who you are if you're one of the winners. For example, say something like "It's Steve S. from St. Paul. Gimme that cookbook!!"
- I'll assign all entries a number (for both the blog comments and fans on FB) and then use random.org (or other random number generating scheme) to pick a winner at random.
- If I can't get a hold of the winner(s) in 3 days, I'll re-draw for a new winner(s). So make sure to CHECK BACK early next week!
I'll ship anywhere, so if you can read this, you can enter! So comment now! Right here! And join the "Steve in a Speedo" FB page to have another chance to win! Do it before Sunday the 18th!
Thanks everyone! And thanks Velo Press!!