White Intervals and Henry's First Snowy Run

>> Saturday, December 24, 2011

Wednesday, we had our "Holiday Party" at work. It got done early, and I had (smartly) brought my running clothes! So I changed and headed out for some quick speedwork on a slightly snowy afternoon. It had just snowed a BIT (just enough to cover everything and start to turn the intersections a little slick), but it wasn't enough to make the footing too dangerous.

I figured I'd run nearly 1 mile repeats on this course:




3 x 0.85 mile intervals with 90 seconds rest:
(0.35 miles Selby to Summit, then 0.5 miles from Dale to Victoria)

2:05, 2:52 = 4:57 (5:49.4 / mile pace)
2:58, 2:02 = 5:00 (5:52.9 / mile pace) (ran in the opposite direction)
2:02, 2:56 = 4:58 (5:50.6 / mile pace)

4:58.33 ave (5:51.0 / mile pace)

The footing wasn't perfect, but I really can't blame much on it being a little slick - they just weren't that fast. I probably could have (and should have) done a 4th interval.

I got home, and Henry was just waking up from a nap. Pharmie was going to head out to run some errands, so I thought I MIGHT be able to take Henry for a little cool-down run! We layered-up and got ready to go:


Henry all loaded up in the side-yard.


Lightly snow-covered River Road.


Finished up, back at home. (I think he's saluting me!)

So I finished my interval workout with a nice, easy 4 mile run with Henry about an hour later!

Then, yesterday, Henry and I headed out to run our "10 mile loop." We found a LITTLE snow still sticking around here-and-there:


Just a block from home.


Passed out for the middle of the run.

We got in just over 10 miles, and then we got in the house because Henry was starting to get hungry. All in all, I had a good 6 days - I got in 34 miles of running, and 29 of those were with Henry! Thanks for the runs, Hank!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

3 comments:

TriMOEngr 2:51 PM, December 24, 2011  

Glad the snow hasn't given you and Henry too much trouble. Your "slow" miles are what my dreams are made of so I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Glad cranky Hank is turning into "chilling while dad runs" Hank. I knew a few months would make all the world of difference (as it did for my own cranky guy 10 years ago). Merry Christmas!

Jennifer P 6:21 PM, December 25, 2011  

I'm glad that Henry is such a great running buddy. Merry Christmas!

Kyle @ TriathleteTalk 8:18 AM, December 27, 2011  

I admire you triathletes that live up north in the snow. I'm down in FL and it was a high of 82 on Christmas morning, I even went to the beach!! You guys are really impressive, training in the snow and cold.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.