>> Wednesday, January 28, 2009
• All is well after the FREEZING 10K! We all lived. None of us are sick. I got a little frostbite on my thumb because I was carrying my camera and that left my thumb more exposed to the elements (even though I was wearing gloves AND mittens). But that's all better. And just because I love it SO MUCH, here's that great finishers photo from right after the race:
Minnesota: winter fun for everyone!!
• I now have a matching pair of dead toes. My nasty 12 miler just over a week ago killed off a toenail on my left foot. And having to wear 2 pairs of socks during the race this past weekend killed off a toenail on my right foot. So I now have a matching pair:
• Last night, Pharmie and I did some intervals at the Metrodome. I ran for 2.5 laps, which is about 1502 meters. I was going to do 3, but I actually convinced myself to do 4! Here were my splits: 5:38, 5:25, 5:18, and 5:07. That's an average of 5:22/1502 meters, which is about 5:43/mile. Not bad for doing 4!
• My wife has been getting annoyed with me. Any time the temperature hits 5 above, I proclaim, "Hey! It's a heat wave!" Pharmie just scowls at me and says, "It takes at LEAST 30 degrees to be considered a 'heat wave.'" She's probably right. But, then again, it's Minnesota. Look at that first photo again...
• Pharmie and I both went for a 1 mile swim on Sunday (1800 yards). I think I posted my fastest time ever at that distance: 31:23 (that's 1:44.6 / 100 yards). Pharmie hadn't swam in a while, but she looked GOOD! New Orleans 70.3, here we come!