Swim, Bike, Run: DONE!

>> Saturday, June 06, 2009

I had 2 big days of workouts yesterday and today. These were my last BIG workouts before the Liberty Olympic Triathlon next weekend! None of these were SUPER great, but they were all SOLID.

Friday: 2000 yard hard swim.
I tried to be fast and smooth through the water. I focused on form. I’ve swam faster before, but this workout felt good. I did 40 laps (2000 yards) in 33:57, which is an average of 1:41.9 / 100 yds. Good.

Saturday: BRICK: 25 mile ride and 10K run.
It was supposed to rain. I was hoping it wouldn’t. It was a cool 40-45 degrees but DRY as I was getting ready to go. But as soon as I took my bike outside, it started raining:


Dang.

Well, I hit the road. I was telling myself that today was mostly about the run, so I could cut the bike down to 20 miles if I wanted. It was slowly drizzling the whole time. I was pretty sure I was headed out with the wind, so I was holding a decent average. Usually I’m AGAINST the wind on the way out, so this was new.

After 9 miles, I figured I could go a full 25 miles. I was pretty proud of myself for deciding to “go the distance.” At the turn around, I realized that I WAS heading out WITH the wind. Now I had 12.5 miles left, all back INTO the wind. Yay.

My average was heading south, but I was getting in a good workout. It started raining harder. And it felt colder. Here’s my overall average speed from different points when I checked it throughout the ride, and it tells the story pretty well:

Mile 8: 20.0 mph
Mile 11: 20.0 mph
Mile 12.5: 20.0 mph (turn around)
Mile 15: 19.8 mph
Mile 19: 19.7 mph
Mile 21.5: 19.5 mph (Hiawatha Bridge)
Mile 23.5: 19.5 mph (end of Greenway)
Mile 25: 19.5 mph

I hopped off Goldilocks and ran up to the house. Here’s a shot of me cold and wet (it was about 45 degrees at this point):


I like how my visor is crooked. Wait, no I don’t.

I took off my helmet and shoes, and my feet were wet and mostly numb:


Notice my chilly, red ankles

I said “Hi” to Steph and Borsch, grabbed one gel to eat right away and one to take with me, and headed out on the run. Overall, I had a 6:00 - 6:30 transition time.

I didn’t know how far I’d be able to run. I forgot my gels for the bike, so I didn’t know if I’d bonk. I ended up going about 6.3-6.4 miles (just a bit farther than a 10K), which is what I wanted to do. I was VERY PROUD that I was able to go the distance on this tough training day. It reminded me of a quote that I shared during my marathon training. I heard this on a PBS special about Marines and their training:

The Spartans had a saying that went something like this: “Training is less about strengthening the back, and more about strengthening the mind.”

Today’s workout hopefully strengthened my back a little, but it was a REAL “mind strengthening” workout. Anyone who’s trained for a race that lasts a few hours knows what I’m talking about!

Here are my wet run splits after my wet bike ride:
(Unless noted, the splits are 1/2 mile splits.)

4:21 (about 0.7 mile)
3:22
3:23
3:15
3:13
3:14
3:01
3:12
3:02
2:55
2:53
3:53 (about 0.7 mile)

First half: 20:51
Second half: 19:01

Total “running” time: 39:52 - 6:19 / mile average
Total “clock” time: 42:20 (including time stopped at stop-lights)

Here I am once I finished. This is in the “Top 10 Unsexy Photos of Steve.”



MAYBE a cold open-water swim tomorrow. Have a great weekend everyone!!

24 comments:

Maria 2:53 PM, June 06, 2009  

congrats on the solid workout. mental workouts are always tougher than physical workouts, way to stick with it. what do the other top 10 unsexy photos look like?

MCM Mama 6:08 PM, June 06, 2009  

LOVE what the rain did for your hair. ;o)

Great workout! One of these days I'm going to have to intentionally run in the rain.

X-Country2 6:41 PM, June 06, 2009  

Great job! You're right, some days it's not about time or pace, it's about DOING IT.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 9:19 PM, June 06, 2009  

Great job Steve!

I turned in to Super Wuss today and bagged my outdoor tri. Covered the same distance at the gym in the warm and comfy pool, on a spin bike and running the track.

I couldn't get my head around "freezing".

Good luck with the swim tomorrow. The water is pretty cold.

nwgdc 9:42 PM, June 06, 2009  

You're an ANIMAL!
I wimped out today. I've been in a funk, and the weather didn't help.
But, then I come home and read about this...you've inspired me! Way to go, Steve!

Jess 8:29 AM, June 07, 2009  

Awesome job on the workout!

CoachLiz 10:31 AM, June 07, 2009  

Great effort. It was 95 in Austin yesterday and 91 when I made it back to Houston. I don't think I am going to see 45 degrees until November or December. Any rain we get here now is accompanied by thunder and lightning. At least you can still train in it.

MissAllycat 1:35 PM, June 07, 2009  

Wow, even your leg hair is frizzy. Humidity is a bitch. :)

GoBigGreen 2:40 PM, June 07, 2009  

We missed you at the lake! It was cold but do-able.
Next week will be great and i cant wait for Liberty!

teacherwoman 8:24 PM, June 07, 2009  

I was in the cities this weekend and didn't want anything to do with the outdoors yesterday!

... did you get in an OWS today? yuck!

Missy 8:48 PM, June 07, 2009  

SHeeeIT, I'm cold just thinking about it, sitting here, in 90 degree weather. Ouch. You get a prize for even starting in that crap.

JRP 10:40 PM, June 07, 2009  

I Googled for 'triathlon photography' and found your site...
Well done!

Sam 11:14 PM, June 07, 2009  

Congrats on the solid training! Sounds a little like my week last week! Always a pump up before a race!
Nice job sticking out the weather..you're a trooper!! :)

Marlene 8:35 AM, June 08, 2009  

Very nice workouts! It looks like you may be more wet from you bike and run than the swim!

Smithposts... 1:52 PM, June 08, 2009  

Great job on the brick! Good luck on your upcoming tri!

Carolina John 4:30 PM, June 08, 2009  

can you take an unsexy picture? good job rocking all 3 sports in one weekend. my oly was a bear, but fun. and i finished.

Anonymous,  7:03 PM, June 08, 2009  

Way to stick it out! What a great day of training to draw on when you're hurting during a race.

Beth 7:56 PM, June 08, 2009  

Nice workout. You are so ready for your race! Why is it that, on the bike, the wind always feels like it is your face? It's never until I turn around do I figure out that it was at my back.

Colleen 9:47 PM, June 08, 2009  

Hey Steve. I've followed your blog for a while now and never commented but I love that quote. Whenever I want to skip a workout I check your blog and it gets me out the door! Good luck next weekend!!

jen 10:42 PM, June 08, 2009  

Awesome all around!

Love the quote. I'm surprised there wasn't 20 comments of "spartaaa!!"

Calyx Meredith 9:44 AM, June 09, 2009  

45 and rainy is my version of hell! Yay you for sticking it out. And thanks for sharing the quotation - it's so true! Peace.

scott blackwell 12:51 PM, June 10, 2009  

Made me feel pretty chilly just reading this.

Way to finish STRONG!

I'm 100% with you on the mental approach to training.

sRod 6:34 AM, June 20, 2009  

Since it was raining does it count as a swim as well?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.