I’m SUPER Excited (For 3 Good Reasons)

>> Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Number 1: My first triathlon of 2009 is SUNDAY!! It’s an indoor event put on by Lifetime Fitness. I’ve done 3 of their events in the past (all in Chanhassen, MN), but this will be my first at their Eagan facilities. In this event, you swim laps for 10 minutes, take 10 minutes in T1, spin on a spinning bike (with the resistance preset and taped down) for 30 minutes, take 5 minutes in T2, and run on a treadmill for 20 minutes. Then, you get ranked in each event based on everyone else’s distances. Your distances are given points, and all 3 of your events are tallied to determine your overall place versus everyone else.

Here are the results from last year’s indoor tri:



I earned 68 points in the swim (30th overall), 78 points in the bike (20th overall), and 93 points in the run (5th overall) for a total of 239 points, which meant I was tied for 10th place (out of 97). This year, I’ll be TRYING to have the fastest run split! I’m pretty sure I can at least be in the top 3 in the run (and hopefully in the top 8% overall). I guess we’ll see...

Number 2: I’m doing that triathlon with 5 other friends, and ALL FIVE are triathlon virgins!! I’m REALLY excited about this!!

First, there’s blogger buddy (and real-life buddy) Borsch. He’s done a few duathlons, but this will be his first triathlon. Here’s Borsch and I after we ran a 5K last November (in case you’ve forgotten what Borsch looks like):



The other 4 people that are doing the tri with us are current and/or former students of mine from one of the colleges where I teach. From left to right, here’s H, K, R, and M:


Thanks for the photos, Facebook!

Number 3: Check back tomorrow for all the details for my “Tales of a Virgin Athlete” contest. (I’ve been talking about this for a while now...) First prize is $240 worth of goodies, with $120 of goodies for the runner up, and $60 of goodies for the second runner up! AND there’s a special smaller prize for the “local” winner! I’m SO PUMPED for this!!

It’s gonna be a good week folks!!

29 comments:

FLATOUT JIM 4:55 AM, March 03, 2009  

So someone presets the tension on the spin bike, and tapes it down so you can't change it? What if they are a lunatic and crank it all the way up as far as it can go? That would make a painful triathlon.

duchossois 5:13 AM, March 03, 2009  

That tri sound like your kind of event; you will crush it!

Shannon 5:38 AM, March 03, 2009  

Good Luck!

Those pictures you got from FB are pretty good, I'm sure their glad you picked those and not all those Frat House Party pictures that those young wippersnappers like to post. LOL...

Michelle 7:41 AM, March 03, 2009  

Good LUCK and all that!!!

Your going to rock out the tri!!! Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

Carolina John 7:54 AM, March 03, 2009  

All good! i know you're going to rock the tri. you're running has got to be faster than it was last year.

Kim 7:57 AM, March 03, 2009  

why do i have a feeling that the treadmill is going to catch on fire bc you will be running at a 5 minute pace?!!! kick some butt steve, i know you have a top-3 finish in you!!!

Unknown 8:01 AM, March 03, 2009  

have fun this weekend!

Dave 8:21 AM, March 03, 2009  

Good luck at the indoor tri! Hope your Lifetime has more reliable race-day electricity than ours. :)

Marlene 8:23 AM, March 03, 2009  

The indoor tri sounds like fun! I'm sure you'll slash your records from last year.

Marcy 8:29 AM, March 03, 2009  

Wow, some sort of tri virgin gang bang, eh? Nice!

GOOD LUCK!!

Unknown 9:54 AM, March 03, 2009  

I did one last year at the Lifetime I belong to. It was a lot of fun. The only thing I didn't like was that the way they have the spin bikes set provides very little resistence and you have to spin a crazy cadance to get any mileage. Have fun with the race!

tfh 10:28 AM, March 03, 2009  

That sounds like a pretty cool way of doing it-- you know you don't have to go for that long a time at any one thing. Good luck!

http://gokristen.wordpress.com 10:29 AM, March 03, 2009  

Great, now I need to come up with a good story for the contest because it sounds like the prizes are actually WORTH it!

hmmm....thinking...ouch

sunshine 10:32 AM, March 03, 2009  

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the tale of "Steve and the four virgins" ;)

Unknown 10:40 AM, March 03, 2009  

Sounds like a fun TRI. IT would be tough for in the aspect of not having anyone in front of me to chase for the bike and run portion.

Kelly 11:44 AM, March 03, 2009  

SO, I am going to sign up for our lifetime fitness indoor tri at the end of the month. It'll be my first tri and I haven't done more than one spin class all year. Am I in trouble?

Kelly 11:58 AM, March 03, 2009  

Yay for virgins (and students? awesome!). Good luck with your tri... I've been meaning to do one of the indoor ones, but they are really expensive, and I find it hard to convince myself they are "real" triathlons. Boo me.

Kelly 12:34 PM, March 03, 2009  

Thanks for the support. I'll definitely check back, I'm addicted to blogging. I wouldn't miss it. Good luck to you and your buddies.

Runner Susan 1:22 PM, March 03, 2009  

I must get me a pair of tube socks.

Charisa 1:25 PM, March 03, 2009  

SWEET - have fun in the tri and awesome you got so many recruits!! :)

Tammy 1:46 PM, March 03, 2009  

Good luck in the Tri!!

sRod 3:07 PM, March 03, 2009  

Good luck on the tri this weekend! Looking forward to the Tales of a Virgin contest.

triguyjt 3:54 PM, March 03, 2009  

wow...looks like you were third fastest runner........!!!!

Darcy Franklin 4:03 PM, March 03, 2009  

Good luck! Those are fun events!

Alisa 4:09 PM, March 03, 2009  

That sounds super fun! Maybe once the flu is gone I'll set up one of my own...of course the only prize would be finishing =)

CoachLiz 4:41 PM, March 03, 2009  

The Lifetime Fitness by my house has not had one of these things. But then again, we live in a sub-tropical climate and it is sunny and 67 degrees outside right now.

Good Luck this weekend!

KK 8:45 PM, March 03, 2009  

Definitely three things to be very excited about, although I missed the explanation of that virgin contest though. Sounds major.

Good luck this weekend!

Lindsay 12:26 PM, March 04, 2009  

that sounds like a fun tri - one i might actually be able to talk myself into! tear it up on the tm!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.