Photos from the Securian Run

>> Wednesday, February 08, 2012

I only appear in ONE of these photos! It's as if I never ran the race and just showed up at the finish. Dang.

Here are a few race photos in chronological order:


The "Securian" mascot getting ready start the race.
He runs a block in front of everyone and then drops out. Weak. ;)


The half marathon leaders heading down the steep hill at mile 2.

I got REALLY close to appearing in these next 2 photos. As I noted in my half marathon race report, I ran the first half right next to JMatt and Tom. These 2 photos are of our pack rounding the corner at the bottom of the hill around mile 2. That's Tom in the front in the red, JMatt with half his face cut off on the right, and I'd be out of the frame to the right on the other side of him:




Tom's elbow and leg on the far left, JMatt in the middle, and that's
MY SHADOW falling just behind JMatt! But NO proof I was there!

The 10K (which Pharmie ran) started a bit after the half marathon. Here's Pharmie around mile 2 of her race:




Pharmie nearing the top of "THEE hill" with less than a mile left!


Huffin' and puffin' at the top.
That hill is a brutal way to end a race!

Here's another photo looking part way down that hill:


Nasty.

So as I wrote about in my race report, I was running with Tom and JMatt just ahead of the 1:30 pace group until the turn-around. Then I took off. I had no idea how far anyone was behind me. They didn't let me get too far ahead. Here's Tom as he got up the nasty hill around mile 12.3:



I tried to catch Michael in front of me, but I just couldn't get him. Here he is hitting the line 9 seconds in front of me:


Michael, my blue rabbit! Thanks for the pull!

And then here's the ONE PHOTO THAT EXISTS OF ME! I wish I could find more of myself in the race photos, but at least the one that IS there is a little awesome:


A BIG puff of air as I hit the finish!

I have 1 mitten on, and I'm holding my hat and my other mitten. Oh, and (not to be too big of a "gear junkie," but) I wore compression tights with calf sleeves UNDER them. No, I didn't need THAT much compression, but tights are thin and chilly, and the calf sleeves are nice and warm for this 20 degree race. It worked out PERFECTLY!

JMatt and Tom weren't far behind me at the finish:





Oh, and here's one photo I found among the race photos that probably could have been edited out:


Oh, sure. Yeah. I know exactly who that is.

Here's a link to my half marathon race report from last week in case you missed it.

4 comments:

kyle. 10:16 AM, February 08, 2012  

i got cold just looking at those pictures. it's probably different when you live there, but having to get that bundled to run, let alone race, looks terrible.

Alyssa 10:43 AM, February 08, 2012  

I remember exactly where THEE hill is from when I lived there... and what a cruel way to end a race! That's seriously just mean.

Anonymous,  5:47 PM, February 08, 2012  

Congrats on the run. Love the bright running shorts :) And I'm sure that photo is of you but you were going so fast that they couldn't catch you in motion :D

Rocco 7:00 PM, February 08, 2012  

There are a lot of unfortunate pictures of me. This is one of them.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.