Hello Bike, Remember Me?

>> Monday, February 27, 2012

August 21st, 2011.
The Lake Marion Triathlon.
Over 6 months ago....

....that's the last day I touched my bike.

So I FINALLY hit the trainer on Saturday night.

I posted what I used for my warm-up on Facebook. This is 100% true:



Here's a photo Pharmie snapped pretty early-on in my workout:


Oh hi there, "vein of approval" on my forehead!

After 30:00 of my "COPS" workout warm-up, I hopped off my bike and started doing lunges, hammy curls on the balance ball, and body-weight squats. I did a "Bike Trainer Strength Workout" that I did last year when I read about it in Triathlete Mag a year ago. Here's a link to when I first did the workout a year ago, and here's the gist of the workout from Triathlete Mag:

20 MINUTE WARM-UP: 20 minutes of gradual building: 5 minutes EASY, 5 minutes building, and then 10 minutes of drills. They recommended some fast spinning 1-legged drills for 30 second intervals.

FIRST 10 MINUTE INTERVAL: Off the bike, do the following (25-30 reps) with as little rest as possible:

- Walking lunge
- Hamstring curl with heels on a balance ball
- Jumping squat
- Eccentric calf raises (meaning focus on long, slow downward motion: 3 secs down, 1 sec up)

Then finish out the 10 minute interval (meaning if the exercises took 4 minutes, you'll have 6 minutes to go) on the bike with HR in low Zone 2, and a cadence of 85-95.

SECOND 10 MINUTE INTERVAL: Same strength exercises off the bike, then finish out the 10 minutes with HR in high Zone 2 and a lower cadence: 75-80.

THIRD 10 MINUTE INTERVAL: Same strength exercises off the bike, then finish out the 10 minutes with HR in Zone 3 with a cadence of 80-85.

10 MINUTE COOL-DOWN: Easy spinning.

My modifications:
- 30 minute "COPS" WU as mentioned above instead of 20 minutes.
- No jumping squats because I'd nail our basement ceiling (REPLACED with body-weight squats).
- No calf raises because of my always injured heel.
- No CD, just some stretching.

So that was a 60:00 workout total, and that was about 15:00 off my bike and 45:00 of spinning. For more details on this workout, CLICK HERE to see my first post about it a year ago.

I had left a sweaty patch on the rubber mat where I laid to do my balance ball hammy curls:



So the verdict is: I still do NOT like biking. You know that dull ache in your legs as your ride? I HATE that feeling. But that lungs-burning, chest-about-to-explode, legs-about-to-die feeling on a long run is something I LOVE! So I'll try to hit the trainer now-and-then (MORE than once every 6 months... sheesh), but I'll just keep up with the running.

I celebrated my first bike workout in 6 months by going out for pizza with my sister's family:


Henry and I reading a quick book while waiting for pizza!

3 HELPFUL LINKS:

- More details on this "bike trainer strength workout."

- Have you entered my "1BandID" giveaway yet? Do it in the next 2 days!

- Did you know you can buy a 55 gallon drum of sex lube on Amazon for $1495? Make sure to read the reviews! Seriously, do this. One of the reviews ends with "They had to use caterpillar bulldozers in order to get enough traction." Don't you want to know how that story starts?...

7 comments:

Carolina John 8:52 AM, February 27, 2012  

I'm kind of looking forward to getting out on the roads to ride this spring. And I haven't touched the bike since Ironman in november either, but I did hit the stationary a few times. Still hate the trainer most of all.

kyle. 10:18 AM, February 27, 2012  

i've got you beat. i haven't been on my bike since july (before that a tri in may) and i live in southern california where weather is almost never an excuse.

Steve Stenzel 10:40 AM, February 27, 2012  

Ha! Thanks Kyle! You know how to make a guy feel alright... :)

Meredith 11:11 AM, February 27, 2012  

I'm right there with you Steve. I absolutely hate to bike. Why do runners hate to bike so much?

Coy Martinez 1:33 PM, February 27, 2012  

That last part is hilarious!!!

I have little drill that I do while watching Titanic on the bike. It's a bit dumb really but I love it! HAHAHAHA!!

What is it with that dumb dull ache anyway??

TiGi 12:20 AM, February 28, 2012  

OK, I haven't even gotten to the lube reviews, and I'm already laughing. "Customers who viewed this item also viewed:" Horse head mask?? Cleaning gloves, Furverts (I really, really don't want to know what that is), and Testicle self exam mask?? Oh, and a gallon of milk. I'm afraid to read on....

k,  1:14 PM, February 28, 2012  

oh god, i feel your aversion to the bike. i am a trail runner and an open water swimmer to the core, but i am NOT a cyclist. of course i'll have great rides sometimes, but i very rarely think "huh, i could sure do with a ride right now!". mostly it's a case of bullying myself into getting it over with, ha.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.