There's No "I" in "Denial"

>> Monday, November 22, 2010

Or "They Spell 'Power Barz' With a 'Z,' So You Know It's Good."

I never really thought it would happen to me. I LOVE running, lifting weights, being fit, and competing in swim / bike / run. But I've got to be honest: Right now, I'm a little burnt out.



After the TC 10 Mile, I took it a little easy. I posted a few weeks ago that I was keeping up decent workouts after being coached by Jen. But they've gone downhill since then.

Recently, on harder runs when things start to get a little uncomfortable, I think "why am I pushing it?" And I end up not wanting to keep up the pace. I did a long run of 9 miles on Friday with the middle 5 miles hard. I wanted to build the pace, but my times were all over the place because I didn't really care. (I can usually nail my times on the head, but I did 6:40, 6:10, 6:20, 6:11, and 5:47. That's very sporadic for me.) This is just one example of what "the norm" has been for a few weeks.

I can't complain about my running. But I can complain about my desire to swim and bike. It's just not there. My bike is on the trainer on the basement. And I don't want anything to do with it. And hopping in a pool when it's below freezing outside just doesn't appeal to me.



So how am I dealing with this? I'm just letting my workouts slide right now, and I'm telling myself I'm OK with it. I've been busy in my "regular" life: I'm trying to remodel our basement bathroom, I'm getting some of my work ready for a big art sale, I'm grading a ton of student work, I'm getting ready to introduce a big, new final project to 2 of my classes that I've never done before, etc, etc. And I'm OK with not working out with a major race goal in mind.

I'm also doing what I like to do every winter: I'm trying new workouts. After my run on Friday, I went to the Y for my first "Power Barz" class. It's an hour of lighter weight / higher rep strength work. And it was good! We did about 30 minutes straight for our legs. Killer. Then we ended with upper body / core work. I enjoyed it as a change of pace, and I'd like to do it a few more times this winter.



So I'm letting some of my swim and bike fitness fade, and I'm OK with that. Soon, I'll be hitting the run a little harder again as I'd like to race the St. Paul Winter Carnival Half Marathon in mid January. It will be good to be training with a race in mind again. So I've got about 2 months to build up my miles a bit for that race.

Then, we'll see what multi-sport season holds for 2011. I thought I had a fun plan for my "A" race for the year, but I'm really re-thinking that. I don't want to be one of those people that trains for a race, gets in GREAT shape for a KILLER finish, and then stops working out and gains 40 pounds. I want to be "fit" for life. So I'm going to take it easy for a bit so I don't begin to hate training.

9 comments:

GoBigGreen 9:44 AM, November 22, 2010  

I remember hammering it out one december in spin class, doing a 2 hour spin when SuperDan reminded me..." Jules, nobody needs a champion in January"

Take it easy.

You cant be 100% all year long and if you could, you would be a pro. And if you dont get out of shape ( and this does not mean you sit around all day long) you cant find a higher level than what you had when you were peaked.

Trust yourself:) and enjoy the time off.

PS BUT get your butt in the pool with me :)kidding.

Keith 11:03 AM, November 22, 2010  

Your body is telling you something. Listen.

TriEric 11:55 AM, November 22, 2010  

It's definitely the off season. You need to have fun now and worry about the heavy stuff later. Last I knew you weren't a pro...and even they have an off season.

You can do what I did and get a tattoo. Then you will have a reason to avoid the pool.

Charisa 12:26 PM, November 22, 2010  

"off Season" - it's good for you :)

TriGirl Kate O 8:51 AM, November 23, 2010  

Why work out when there are cookies to eat??? Time off is a good thing.

Anonymous,  12:08 PM, November 23, 2010  

you have many, many years to continue your quest for being fit.
Take her easy for awhile-you have been working and playing hard! You will be champing at the bit in the spring if you back off a litte now. Have a great turkey day you two!

Jarrett @ "PaddlePedalPlod" 2:25 PM, November 23, 2010  

Ah, I've noticed more tweets and such from you lately...
I agree with all the posters above. You don't have to be 100% all the time- just have fun, and don't get TOO sedentary, which it sounds like you're not.

The Triathlon Rx 6:12 PM, November 23, 2010  

I *think* I'm in the same situation as you right now. Workout motivation is definitely sliding... focus is exercise physiology textbook, and not my own exercise phys. A run here, a slice of pumpkin pie there, it's all good.

Oh wait... I didn't have a killer finish this last season to write it off with. Doh!! ;)

(ps for the record, I do have mono. I would like to blame the EBV for my recent slackerness.)
(pps if i can't find anyone to go race in cabo with me in january, then sadly, i will also be doing the winter carnival half.)

Cinthia 7:11 AM, November 24, 2010  

Dude! You're running 5:47 and 6:20 tempo miles and you're burned out? Well, duh!
Take it easy, pig out on cookies, remodel the bathroom, and have fun. You're not gonna gain 40 pounds and become a couch potato.
(If you do, can I buy your bike?)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.