Keep a Log

>> Thursday, November 18, 2010

Track your workouts.
Log your miles.
Count your laps.
You probably do this already.

If you don't, I think you should consider starting. Being injury-prone, keeping a log keeps me honest when I try to "ramp up" my miles too quickly (and then wonder why I'm hurting / injured).

I use my log for three main things:

1. Logging overall miles. I can check my long run and/or weekly mileage totals and know if I'm adding too much too quickly.

2. Tracking "important" workouts. This is a big one for me. Those important tempo runs or interval workouts get logged ASAP so I remember all the details. What were my splits? How did it "feel?" Were any injuries flaring up?

I LOVE comparing my splits on the track to see where I'm at compared to last time, last month, or last year. THE TRACK DOESN'T LIE.

3. Keeping track of those random things that can lead to injury. This is something I'm working on. On BeginnerTriathlete.com (AKA "BT," which is where I track my miles), you can add a "sports" workout of nearly anything: bike trainer, spin class, and walking are ones I frequently add. You can EVEN add chiropractic, dodgeball, Tae-Bo, and table tennis.

Recently, I've started adding "yard work" when I have a big day of mowing, trimming, and raking. My legs will be sore the day after I do something like that (if it's more than a few hours straight), and if I can keep track of EVERYTHING I'm doing, it will give me more insight into why a certain workout or race went great. Or why the workout or race was craptastic.

So when I log things into BT, a month might look like this:


(Last January)

And I can hover over any workout to see more details.

I did a write-up comparing different methods / websites for tracking your workouts back in February. CLICK HERE to see what I had to say about making your own log, DailyMile, TP, BT, and BuckeyeOutdoors.

So, here's my Tip of the Week: log your workouts with as much detail as you can. Then look back on this information to make sure that you're planning proper and appropriate workouts in the present.

p.s. Based on point #2 above, I need to share a minor "intervals victory" from last week. I went to the track last Tuesday (5 days before the indoor tri), and I was going to do 3 x 1600. I thought to myself as I was starting that I'd shoot for 5:45, 5:35, and sub 5:30. When the first one was SUPER fast (but felt OK), I just thought I'd try to hold on to that. My 3 x 1600 times were 5:21, 5:18, and 5:21. (The last one hurt like a mother.) That's an average of 5:20.0. Holy cats. Just a few months ago, I was THRILLED to have ONE 1600 under 5:20, and now I'm averaging that! I know I won't be able to keep THAT up over the winter!....

Oh yeah, I shaved off my beard 2 days ago. Check back for a beard-shaving "friday funny" tomorrow!

6 comments:

Mallie Dein 7:28 AM, November 18, 2010  

Thanks for the reminder, Steve. I actually enjoy the tracking once I make a plan to do so!

RobbyB 10:44 AM, November 18, 2010  

While I agree wholeheartedly that data and the fastidious keeping of it is worthwhile, sometimes it's good to take a break once in awhile. Right now, I'm working out just to work out - no pressure, plan, or need to meet goals and especially no documentation of it. It's been quite refreshing.

Janet Edwards 11:02 AM, November 18, 2010  

Totally agree and like that calendar format....perhaps I will rethink my setup! PS, huge kudos to you on your intervals victory!

Kim 2:14 PM, November 18, 2010  

when i saw the title of this blog post, i thought you were saving your poops.

Steve Stenzel 2:40 PM, November 18, 2010  

Robby, during my downtime is actually the time I NEED to log my workouts. Otherwise, when I "start back up," I'll go too hard / too far and hurt myself. But I'm dumb like that. ;)

Char 3:24 PM, November 18, 2010  

I'm anal about keeping a log. I had overtraining syndrome a year ago and have been religious about recording things like heart rate, time, distance, temperature and humidity. It's helped me track my recovery and stopped me from pushing too hard.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.