Six Days in Mesa

>> Monday, January 11, 2010

Last Monday night, Pharmie and I took off for 6 days to visit my grandparents in Mesa AZ. (Grandpa and Grandma live in MN, but they head to AZ for 4-5 months each year and stay in an “old folks trailer park.”) We had highs of 69-72 degrees F (20-22 C) while we were there. That sure beats the 2 days of 34 below F (36 below C) that my folks had while we were gone! I think we picked a good week to be gone!



Here’s a quick rundown of our fun:

Monday, Jan 4:

Flew into Phoenix in the evening:



Tuesday, Jan 5:

Pharmie and I picked the highest-heights of the orange trees where all the old folks couldn’t reach:




Grandpa with our big bag of success!

Pharmie and I headed out on a run. It was GREAT to sweat in some mid-day heat! She started before me, and I met her as she was heading back:



And then she crashed by the pool for an hour:



That night, we all played bingo in the trailer park rec center:




Bingo MADNESS!


Pharmie and I chipper and eager at the start of Bingo

One lady (and I’m NOT making this up) got Bingo in 4 balls!! That’s perfection!



Well, after 2 hours of bingo, 3 cans of pop, and 3 tubs of popcorn....



....Pharmie and I hadn’t won sh*t:


4 unsuccessful “blackouts”

Wednesday, Jan 6:

Pharmie and I got up and headed out to the Lost Dutchman State Park. The goal was to hike to the top of the Superstition Mountains and get to the top of the Flatiron. That was an epic 5 hours! More on this in the next day or 2! I took a lot of fun photos on our run / hike / climb up to the top! Here’s 1 quick photo of Pharmie running around the base of the mountain just before we left the park:



After getting back from our 5 hours on the mountain, we went to Organ Stop Pizza, where there’s a huge organ that comes out of the floor, and it controls all kinds of stuff that’s hanging from the walls. It’s hard to explain. It’s quite bizarre.





Thursday, Jan 7th:

Grandpa and Grandma took us to an Olive Grove. They make all kinds of Olive Oil. Check out this sweet shirt that I should have bought:






Grandpa and Grandma eating lunch at the Olive Grove

Then we went shopping for shoes for Grandma:


Grandpa’s thrilled

Then we played shuffleboard back at the old folks trailer park:





Friday, Jan 8th:

Grandpa (the best horseshoe-thrower at his park for 7 of the last 8 years) taught Pharmie how to pitch horseshoes:







That afternoon, we headed to South Mountain. On the way, I spotted a giant Chipotle Burrito in the sky, sent from heaven by Jesus himself:




Pharmie at the top of South Mountain




Grandpa and Grandma at the top of South Mountain

That night, we went to "The Rustler’s Rooste.” A little kid almost barfed on my shoes. Other than that, we had a great time. They had free cotton candy!



Saturday, Jan 9th:


I went for a run, we played some more 4-handed cribbage (17 total games over our stay, and Pharmie and I won 12 of those!), got all packed up, and Grandpa and Grandma dropped us off at the airport. We headed home and Matt picked us up at MSP, which was flippin' freezing.

Thanks for letting us crash on your pull-out couch for a few days Grandpa and Grandma!! We had a great time!!

I’ll be back shortly with photos and our story from climbing the Superstition Mountains!

25 comments:

Jennifer 6:59 AM, January 11, 2010  

Saw your post on BT. Great story about visiting your grandparents. Good for you! and BINGO, I love bingo. Bummer you didn't win... Cheers!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 8:07 AM, January 11, 2010  

Looks like a great trip, and good timing! now you back thankfully bringing some of that warmth with you! 4 man cribbage...awesome. Good to have you back.

trimybest 8:12 AM, January 11, 2010  

Sounds fun. I love the shirt! Olive oil is amazing but I hate olives. Go figure.

Anna Banana 8:28 AM, January 11, 2010  

Looks like an amazing trip! In Kansas last week we got down to -17 now it is a heat wave of 25! I was laughing so hard when I saw the picture of the burrito I thought it was another balloon boy stunt.

teacherwoman 8:40 AM, January 11, 2010  

Looks like a great time! I KNEW those were the SUPERSTITION MOUNTAINS!

Carolina John 9:26 AM, January 11, 2010  

your grandparents are awesome! it's so nice to have a winter get-away from the MN cold like that. and that seemed like fun visit, glad you guys had such a fun trip.

Aimee 9:57 AM, January 11, 2010  

Before my grandparents passed away they would drive from KS to Mesa, AZ during the winter months and stay at a trailer park too...I wonder if it's the same place...ha ha! We lived in CT at the time and would go and visit them to get a dose of warmth. It looks like you guys had a great time! It must have been so nice to be able to run in the "heat!"

GoBigGreen 10:00 AM, January 11, 2010  

I bet your Grandparent's love having you there!
And..um..the PC term is "Aging Adult.." not OLD FOLKS! :)

Regina 10:15 AM, January 11, 2010  

That brings back great memories of visiting my grandparents in FL. I'm sure they were happy to have you visit.

I could feel the warm temps coming off my computer screen, ahhhhhh.

I hope there wasn't a small child in the dirigible.

Anonymous,  10:20 AM, January 11, 2010  

Glad you guys had a nice visit and were able to get some nice weather too. It is probably a good thing you guys didn't win at bingo, all the retirees would have ganged up on you two.

Julie 10:28 AM, January 11, 2010  

Hi Steve in a speedo,
I loved your post today! You have some great pictures of your trip.It is nice that you were able to spend some quality time with your grandparents, I am sure they enjoyed your company:) By the way, Pharmie....you are adorable and you two are such a cute couple! I enjoy your posts:)

Tri-Angle 10:48 AM, January 11, 2010  

Dude
I'm sad
Sad you were in Mesa, and I didn't know, and could have actually met you in person.
Let me know if you want me to check in on Gramma and Grampa

Andy

Anonymous,  11:00 AM, January 11, 2010  

ahahaha. bingo is so hot.

t-odd 11:39 AM, January 11, 2010  

I love the fact that Grandpa has a horseshoe pitchin' glove.

No mention of an organ would complete without this:

"What's better than roses on a piano? Tulips on an organ?"

Thank you! You've been a great audience. Be sure to tip your waitress.

IronVince: IM WI 2009 and Beyond 12:20 PM, January 11, 2010  

Love the Organ Stop! Used to go there as a kid when we lived in Mesa.

Chad 12:26 PM, January 11, 2010  

It looks like your Grandpa has some special horseshoe throwing gloves on. That must be his secret.

X-Country2 1:12 PM, January 11, 2010  

Aww, I want to be old and have a kickass life in AZ.

Anonymous,  1:56 PM, January 11, 2010  

O my gawd. Pharmacie's been kidnapped by the Phantom of the Opera who's holding her ransom in his secret concert hall in a Cavern under DEATH VALLEY!!!

Anonymous,  2:11 PM, January 11, 2010  

Oh man! I went to the Rustler's Rooste in Phoenix over the holidays too. (I'm surprised there is not a picture of you going down the slide.) I probably only missed meeting you by a week...

Big Daddy Diesel 2:23 PM, January 11, 2010  

I just got back from Mesa for Xmas holidays. I sue to live there for years and years, brings back some memories. I recongnized many of the places you visited. And now I am knee deep in the snow. Sigh...

Maria 4:43 PM, January 11, 2010  

Is this a preview of you and Pharmie in 50 years?

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 4:45 PM, January 11, 2010  

I think that burrito from Chipolte is a sign... but I don't know of what.

Looks like you had a great time. Good for you guys.

The Boring Runner 9:51 PM, January 11, 2010  

Glad you had a good time in AZ! Looking forward to more pictures from the hike - I am going to go up the superstitions here very soon!

CoachLiz 7:46 AM, January 12, 2010  

The day I see a giant Chipotle Burrito in the sky I will know I will have died and gone to heaven. Sounds the Organ Pizza Stop was interesting. Great visit with the grandparents. I am sure they enjoyed as much as you did.

Unknown 10:25 PM, January 12, 2010  

Oh my goodness... your grandparents are too freaking cute! Looks like a fun trip!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.