Nutrilite Health Assessment (Post 2 of 2)

>> Thursday, January 28, 2010

Remember “Post 1” back in November when Pharmie and I went out to California? We were sent out there by Nutrilite to get a very individualized health assessment, learn about their products, hear how they could fit into our life, and learn to be healthier all around. I got my assessment results back in early December, and I have the results to share with you all.

Grip Strength:
“Grip strength provides a very reliable assessment of your general upper body muscular strength. Grip strength can be improved with regular strength and/or weight training exercises.”



What? Below average? When I had the phone consultation with Dr. Duke, he told me I needed to start lifting weights. START! Wait, what have I been doing at the gym 2-3 days each week for the last 12 years? Damn. Ego blow.

Flexibility:
Your basic “sit-and-reach.”



Redemption. When the lady was taking my reading, she was impressed! Ask Pharmie - she was there!

Resting Heart Rate:
Basic judge of cardiovascular fitness.



Sure, it’s in the “above average” to “good” range, but this was shortly after they drew blood and I got light-headed. Normally, my resting heart rate is just a wee-bit lower.

Body Composition:
Lean body weight vs fat weight.



Ya see that ladies? That’s right, I’m ranked BETTER than “desirable.” Damn skippy.

Waist to Hip Ratio:
Judge of coronary heart disease.



Again: better than “desirable.” Too bad I’m married. ;)

Blood Pressure:



Not bad. No problems here. Doc says there’s no risk of heart disease in my BP readings.

BCoR Score:
“The true designation of obesity is mandatory to determine whether or not you are at risk for developing chronic diseases. The most accurate determination of obesity not only includes BMI, but also percent body fat and waist-to-hip ratio. Exceeding that parameters given for any of the three measurements increases your risk for chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.”



Smack dab in the middle of “Ideal.” Good.

Bone Density:
Down to -1 is OK, and above 0 is good.



So my reading of +0.2 is fine. All that running is paying off.

Blood work:
I’m glad Doc walked me through all of this, because I don’t know what any of this means:



I spent almost an hour on the phone with Dr. Duke as we talked about these results. He loved most things my body had to say. He thought my body composition and my BCoR score were both just about perfect. My heartrate, BP, and waist-to-hip ration were all good. But it was some stuff in the blood work that stood out a little. These following thoughts on the numbers are what I wrote down as Dr. Duke and I were talking; these are his thoughts on these readings:

Vit D: Good, not ideal. Above 37 is good, I’m 34. Still surprisingly good for where I live and this time of year. Not a problem.

Iron: Good. Normal (ideal) body stores should be 50-100. I’m 144. Current average in society is 250-350. So where I am is fine, and it might be higher because I work out hard.

GTT: Should be below 60. I was 17. This means I’m a lightweight when it comes to holding my liquor. No surprise there. When was the last time I had an alcoholic beverage?...

Folate: Good.

B12: Good.

Calcium: Good.

Insulin: This was the biggest foreseeable issue. A reading of 5 or below is good. I was 6.1, which is STARTING to show signs of insulin resistance, which CAN lead to Type 2 Diabetes. I was told this really isn’t a problem right now, but it’s something to watch. A reading of 10 is getting bad, and a reading a 20 means you will most likely develop Type 2 Diabetes within the next year. I’m not freaking out, and the doc said I really don’t need to change anything now, but this sure was an eye-opener for me.

Talking over my results, the Doc said that the biggest thing I needed to start doing was to up my veggie intake. No surprise there. My favorite vegetable is sausage.

He had a few recommendations for Nutrilite supplements that I could be taking. It wasn’t just a sales pitch - he just mentioned some things I could try. He kept saying he can't connect a supplement to reducing risk of diseases, but he can connect nutrients to reducing diseases. The things that I need more of could be found in 3 of their projects: Double X (their premier all-around supplement), concentrated fruits and veggies, and omega 3. They sent me each of those things to try out. I’ve been enjoying them but they ARE a little spendy, so I don’t know that I’ll be continuing them after I use up what they sent. (They do have a cheaper version of Double X [I forget what that is called], and I might start taking that after I run out of Double X.)

So the health assessment was quite interesting to me. It would be ideal if they had me start taking their supplements and start changing some of my eating habits (which I HAVE been slowly trying to do) and then fly us back to Cali to take our numbers all over again and see if we’ve been able to make any changes for the better. If I made the changes that Dr. Duke recommended and started taking the supplements he suggested, how big of a difference could that make? And how quickly would that change be noticeable? Or maybe I’m just hoping for another trip to Cali...

Anyway, thanks to Nutrilite for sending Pharmie and I out to see what they’re all about! Click here to see photos and hear about our time on the Nutrilite campus (when we got tested for all the things listed above), and click here to see a bunch of fun (non-Nutrilite related) photos from our trip back in November.

17 comments:

Anna Banana 9:08 AM, January 28, 2010  

Wow! This is all very interesting I would love to have similar testing done just to see where I am at. I am surprised to about your strength makes me wonder if all my weight lifting is helping...

Sarah 9:53 AM, January 28, 2010  

You make me smile every time I open this blog... Desirable? Damn Skippy!

Congratulations on the great overall results, and watch that insulin. I need my good humor man around for awhile.

Emily W 9:53 AM, January 28, 2010  

Hey Steve, you're a brave man for sharing! You didn't mention the fact that your HDL, which "fine", could be higher as well. You might want to really consider HARD the idea of changing your diet to improve your cholesterol which I think may also improve your risk in the insulin/blood sugar area. Do some research on food that improves cholesterol, but it's the good stuff like red wine and leafy green veggies. Don't forget this was done by a supplement company, but you can get a lot of what you need in real foods too. The amount of exercise you do has probably saved you from your eating habits...so far :)

kristen 9:58 AM, January 28, 2010  

Am I the only one that can't see "desirable" and "grip strength" in the same context and not giggle? Yes? Ok, clearly I'm immature.

I hope they do follow up with all the tests once you've made some changes to see what kind of a difference they can make.

trimybest 10:05 AM, January 28, 2010  

i would be more interested in how much your levels would change if you just changed eating habbits without the supplements.

tri_al 10:25 AM, January 28, 2010  

really interesting!!! would be interesting too to compare you + pharmie together ;)

Ironman By Thirty 10:36 AM, January 28, 2010  

I surprised that the bone density test had a measurement for "stiffness" and no comment was made about that...

Carolina John 11:51 AM, January 28, 2010  

i think it's pretty cool that a supplement company told you that you should eat more veggies. you don't see them throw that around very often.

you have a weak grip? come on man. i've seen your forearms. no way.

GoBigGreen 12:27 PM, January 28, 2010  

I agree with Emily W. A basic vitamin and perhaps a D supplement and you should be good, as long as you add more fruits and veggies. Beets and Kale. yumm....yummmy..:)

Steve Stenzel 12:27 PM, January 28, 2010  

Anna, the grip test was SUPPOSED to show that I lift weights, but I was told that it doesn't work to show the direct correlation about 10% of the time. So I'm in that 10%.

And yeah Emily, it was all from a supplement company, so Pharmie and I were always taking that into account whenever they'd tell us something. But the good thing was that they REALLY are about healthy living FIRST, and then adding in supplements if they're needed. They really pushed for eating right and finding time for healthy habits. I forgot to mention that again (but I think I mentioned it in my first Nutrilite post 2 months back).

Oh, and you guys are all beating me to some good jokes!! Ha!!

Steve Stenzel 12:27 PM, January 28, 2010  

Beets and Kale, Julia?!? BEETS AND KALE?!?! Do you know me AT ALL?!?!

;)

David Steadson 1:26 PM, January 28, 2010  

Thanks for the post and walkthrough Steve! Extremely interesting. The "lightweight" Double X is Nutrilite Daily. It's less than 4 bucks a month but covers the bases well if you're ensuring a good fruit & veg intake and cutting back on the sausages! If this is a problem then, as you mentioned, the Concentrated Fruit & Veges is a good add. Double X includes over 20 different plant concentrates, I think Daily has about 8. I'm sure you learned about the importance of the variety of phytonutrients in fruit & veg during your trip to the Institute! We've also got a Vitamin D product coming out this month. With the increasing research on the importance of D it's definitely on my buy list.

TRI TO BE FUNNY 1:53 PM, January 28, 2010  

Kinda jealous after seeing the assessment!! I basically became vegan and eat mostly veggies and beans every freakin' day and my cholesterol levels are still a bit high! You are a machine :-) Kinda makes me want to go get a sausage pizza with extra cheese!!!

Anonymous,  7:01 PM, January 28, 2010  

What do they do with the blood after it's tested?...I bet they cloned you and made a Super Steve! That would be awesome!

Julie 7:37 PM, January 28, 2010  

Hi Steve,
Did you get your photos from Saturday's race e-mailed to you? There were two pictures of me and one of them my eyes are closed:( Just lovely! The one is where I am crossing the finish line and it is hard to see my facial expression. I am hoping that your pictures turned out better than mine:)

MURALI 12:32 PM, January 29, 2010  

HOw can I get one done for me :-(

Skippy,  3:07 PM, January 30, 2010  

Nutralite! Squirrels DIG IT!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.