14 Days of Nothing

>> Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thursday (Thanksgiving) will be the official start of my “14 Days of Nothing.” It’s my 2 week off-season where I’ll rest sore muscles, nurse minor injuries, and basically do as little physical activity as possible.

My self-imposed rules:

• No strength training. I’ve had a sore spot behind my right shoulder blade that flares up a bit when I lift weights, so hopefully some rest will help.

• No swimming. Again, for the sore shoulder blade.

• No biking or spinning. Cuz it sucks. ;) And my lower back is still sore from spinning so hard at the indoor tri.

No foam rolling. That could be just a little too much during “complete rest” for my legs. Editors note: I've changed this one. I'll foam roll a few times a week to help "work out the kinks." I don't think that's overkill, right?


OK, I can’t just do ABSOLUTELY nothing for 14 days, so here’s what I’m allowing myself:

• Some core work. Doing core exercises has never really “hurt” anything else, so I figure I’m pretty safe doing some balance ball sit-ups, planks, Andrea’s exercises on the Bosu, etc.

• Some gentle stretching. This will be 3 days a week at the maximum. And it won’t be that intense.

• Maybe some lunges, leg presses, body-weight squats, etc. Again, this won’t be too much, but I might feel the need to do something more around days 10-14. And definitely NO calf raises because of my sore heels.

• Get a massage. Oh, that'll be a tough one... ;)

• 1 easy 2-4 mile run. No watch. Just nice and easy.


How does that look? Is that “off” enough? Do I need to rest more? Or should I throw in another easy run (or swim)? I’m new to “time off.”

So this will all start tomorrow (on Thanksgiving). Technically, since the indoor tri on Sunday, I’ve only stretched and foam-rolled once, so it’ll practically be 17 days of nothing once it’s all said and done. Today, I’d like to stretch and do a good core workout before starting “nothing” tomorrow.

Then, once the 14 days are over, I’ll ease back into it over 10 days or so. Then it will be time to be ramping up my miles in training for the Winter Carnival Half Marathon in January!

I’ll report back everyday with what I’ve been up to while I HAVEN’T been training.

17 comments:

Kate 8:13 AM, November 25, 2009  

Great recovery/rest plan, Steve! Have fun and enjoy :) I'm taking a little unplanned rest myself today due to an allergy flare-up.

And I'm so jealous of your massage. :P Maybe I can talk one of my friends into a spa day?

Sarah 8:27 AM, November 25, 2009  

Oh god, reading that makes me crazy. That's just because I need the workout adrenaline or I go batty. I'll live vicariously through you.

Jeff 8:57 AM, November 25, 2009  

Sounds sane to me, but I didn't hear mention of exercising the most important parts during the holidays: the mouth and stomach. I recommend copious amounts of quality food with friends and family and/or the twelve-ounce curl...

Keith 9:01 AM, November 25, 2009  

Rest more. The little bit of core and stretching is good. The massage is super good, providing it's real theraputic massage, and not some fru fru scented oils and incense touchy feely session. I'd say pass on the runs, walk instead. Pass on the lunges and stuff.

Time off means, OFF. I get tired just reading about your races. Have fun. Eat chocolate.

40 Something 9:08 AM, November 25, 2009  

enjoy your planned rest and Thanksgiving!

Jen Feeny 9:09 AM, November 25, 2009  

Rest up and enjoy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Ryan 9:19 AM, November 25, 2009  

Foam rolling time should go UP. It's the same mechanism as massage and will help recovery/reset the system.

What about that heel/plantar issue you've had? Focus on that.

Carolina John 9:49 AM, November 25, 2009  

Get some recovery dude. that's why it's called the off season. enjoy your rest.

Steve Stenzel 11:37 AM, November 25, 2009  

Jeff, I'm make SURE it's a "good" massage. I HATE fru-fru massages anyway.

And Ryan, I was wondering about that. I think you're right. Still, I won't overdo it.

Thanks everyone!

Regina 11:41 AM, November 25, 2009  

didn't take 14 days, but took this week off (excpet for last night's running class). Feels good to do nothing and yet, I feel like I should. I might as well enjoy it while it lasts, 70.3 training starts next week.

GoBigGreen 12:31 PM, November 25, 2009  

:)
walking is a great way to appreciate how much you love to run, what about some hikes on those trails you and Pharmie "trained on" and blogged about a few weeks ago. Deep rest. Yup. Good for you.

Anonymous,  1:04 PM, November 25, 2009  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
B. Kramer 1:07 PM, November 25, 2009  

Enjoy your intensive recovery. Happy Thanksgiving. Cheers!

Kristin Bradfield 4:49 PM, November 25, 2009  

I had a 90 days of nothing plan and have thoroughly enjoyed it :) Time off is good, you'll feel better when you get going again.

Coach Liz 9:30 PM, November 25, 2009  

Good on ya for taking solid time to refresh and reset the body. Let us know how it goes.

triguyjt 9:07 PM, November 26, 2009  

I see your 2009 schedule and I can see why you have your self imposed rest!! Great year...!!!!

Enjoy the time off

Maggs 9:08 PM, November 26, 2009  

I love the off season. 3-4 weeks of almost nothing. No more than 30-40 min 2 x a week. My goal is to gain weight. At least 10 lbs. Sooo much fun. By the time my jeans don't fit and my butt hangs out from the bottoms of my swimsuit, it's time to start training.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.