Trail Race in 2019?

>> Monday, December 17, 2018

Back in September, my boys and I went camping at Frontenac State Park. When we were hiking that night, we noticed signs for a trail race. And then the next morning, people were out getting ready to direct traffic for the race. It turns out I had at least 1 friend and 1 spouse-of-a-friend (of a YWCA Endurance Sports teammate actually) doing the race. In the post showing my boys and I camping, I shared part of race map that showed a HORRIBLE climb (that we hiked up and down) that was around mile 9 of the 10 mile race.

The race is called "In Yan Teopa" (named after a rock formation there), and I found lots of photos on this Facebook page. Here are about 20, and it makes me want to camp out and race next year!


The first 2/3 of the race or so are on rolling grassy hills.


Remember fast "soccer mom" duathlete/triathlete Jenny Wilcox who raced me a lot?!?
Here she is! She went on to win the female race by about 3 minutes!


Through the dewy sumac.


My teammate's hubby!


Jenny! (About to pass my teammate's hubby.)


I mean, doesn't this just look like a HORRIBLE place to race? :)






Jenny again.


Coming up to one of the park roads...


... and getting ready to cross it.


Just the ugliest race.


Here's the end of that 300-400 foot climb with less than a mile left.


Fun times. The boys and I hiked this the night before.


LOTS of switch-backs.


Lots of rocky stairs, and some ACTUAL stairs near the top.


More switch-backs.


Some of the final climbing. And then it's less than a mile of flat(ish) trails to the finish.


Coming to the finish!




A special award for "dead f*cking last." Local honey. Nice!

I really want to keep this in mind for next year. I don't have very strong ankles (bad sprain a few years back), so trail running makes me a little nervous. But half of this is just "grass" and not extreme "trail" like. It's 2 weeks before the TC 10 Mile, so it can be a nice final leg-burner before that race! We'll see how the summer and early fall shape up...

1 comments:

SteveQ 10:47 AM, December 17, 2018  

I love this race. I have a collection of the finisher coffee mugs, which I use daily. This was the first year I didn't run or volunteer in a decade, but I know all the people in the photos in your post, if you want names. Other than the hill from hell, the only downside to this is that it has been hot some years.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.