More Baby News

>> Thursday, February 03, 2011

I hate keeping secrets. And I'm bad at it, too.

Pharmie found out she was pregnant the day after running the Twin Cities Marathon the first weekend of October!!


Me running the TC 10 Mile


Pharmie finishing her TWELFTH marathon!

It was the next morning that she peed on a stick and it came back with a PLUS on it. We knew she COULD be pregnant before the race, so she took it a little easy in the marathon. (That photo of her was taken at mile 25.5, and she doesn't look like she's hurting too bad.)

We carved Jack-o-lanterns to celebrate. We carved 2 "regular" jack-o-lanterns," one Frankenstein, and one "plus" sign:



And all of these photos are ones that you've seen here where Pharmie's been pregnant and you didn't know it:


She didn't run at the "beer mile," but she helped with results


Running trails in early November


Trail running


Spinning: Matt and I working, and Pharmie taking it easier


Running at the Dome


Finishing the Polar Dash 10K a month ago


Snowshoeing 2 weeks ago


And finally, running the Securian Run 10K last weekend!

Pharmie's been holding me back - I've wanted to announce it for weeks!!

Eight random baby notes:

- Because we found out about the baby the day after she ran the Twin Cities Marathon, we've nick-named the baby "Miles" right now.

- Pharmie had her "big" ultrasound about 3 weeks ago, and baby seems to be normal and healthy! Pharmie and I had to look away when they were looking at the baby's legs because we don't want to find out the sex. (And if it's a boy - MY boy - his penis will be hard to miss!)

- In true "blogger" form, the first person who I told about the upcoming baby was blogger buddy Mrs. R. We bumped into each other on a run a few weeks after the TC 10 Mile, and we ran together for a few miles. She was the first person I got to tell by myself, and we had a nice chat along the river.

- Yes, baby will change this blog. "Steve in a Speedo" will not become ALL about baby, but it may be more about "training and parenthood." Who knows. I'll probably be blogging a little less frequently when baby comes, but we'll just go with the flow...

- Pharmie has mentioned that she will blog about training, racing, and/or working out while pregnant. (And people have commented on her blog about that and have tweeted me about that too.) I'll make sure to link to her blog whenever she posts something.

- I noted just after New Years Day that I think I'll be doing more running this year while letting multisport "slide" a little. That's mainly because running takes less time, and we can get a treadmill for our basement. When there's a baby in the house, it'll be hard to get out for a 3 hour ride, but a 45 minute run might be more doable. So I might as well focus more on running. That makes sense, right?

- I think Liberty Triathlon will be my "A-Race" triathlon for the year. But it happens to fall on Pharmie's due date. I've already made it SUPER clear to Pharmie that if there's no baby by Liberty, I will leave in T1 or T2 if baby is on his/her way!! (But Pharmie's already hoping to go a few weeks early...) After that, it will just be fitting in random races when it works.

- Note to self: pick up a pack of "Bounty" paper towels. On their TV commercials, whenever a dumbass Dad and his nincompoop child are doing something stupid like playing catch with salsa in the kitchen, the Mom just smiles, shrugs her shoulders, and grabs a sheet of Bounty when things go wrong. The way I see it, Bounty paper towels will practically raise my child and keep our marriage healthy. So I'm off to get some right now...

28 comments:

Matt 10:27 AM, February 03, 2011  

I like that--The "Bounty Paper Towels Theory of Parenting". Quick, patent it!

cdnhollywood 10:37 AM, February 03, 2011  

I can certainly vouch for letting multisport slide. If you don't you might end up on the wrong side of a pissed-off mom/wife (the combo is scarier than either one on their own).

And for the A race being on the due date, that's a HEAP of stress for you. I ran a half-marathon one day before my wife's due date and I was stressed the entire time. My HR was a good 10-15 bpm higher than normal. I carried my cell phone the entire time, and continually stayed on the lookout for race officials just in case...

K 10:38 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congrats to you and pharmie. Babies galore these days. I know of 4 people who announced that they are expecting in the last two weeks..Whats in the water???

Sun Runner 10:39 AM, February 03, 2011  

I haven't said it yet (I'm not an early adopter), but congratulations!

Re: those annoying Bounty commercials, and every other commercial where messes are being made and cheerfully cleaned up by the ever-smiling Mom (never the Dad, and WHY IS THAT?), man, if me or my brother had even attempted to pull any of those shenanigans when we were little, our mom would have tanned our hides.

SteveQ 10:49 AM, February 03, 2011  

That kid's gotten more attention already than I did in my entire childhood! Guess that's the difference between being first child and eighth. Planning to race on the due date, though, is pure class - be sure to bring celebratory cigars, just in case!

Rizel 10:50 AM, February 03, 2011  

Hey Steve! Congrats on the baby news! It is very exciting! I've been reading your blog for over a year now, and I just wanted to jump in with some moral support. We have 3 young sons at home (8,6, and 3), and find time to race and workout, so don't worry. I ran a 10K in Dec and I'm running a half in April. When things at home are really busy, we just workout at home. Good luck with everything! -Jenny

rokupic 10:51 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing you both at the Dome--I hate being the only preggo chick there!

Carolina John 11:05 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congratulations big guy! Parenthood is a thrill unlike anything else.

SueM,  11:09 AM, February 03, 2011  

cannot wait to follow along in your parenthood adventures!

Christi 11:16 AM, February 03, 2011  

I love the "bounty" parenting technique. And you know what it works even when they are messy teenagers!

Unknown 11:29 AM, February 03, 2011  

We had our first kid 16 months ago. Immediately, my wife said "do Ironman now, before she starts walking."
So I did. I trained all summer for IMAZ 2010, and finished the race when my daughter was 14 months old. For me, this was a great plan. I did most of my training before work (while everyone else slept) and on Saturdays. My wife was alone with baby for most of Saturday, but at least the baby didn't get into much. Now she's 16 months and getting into all sorts of trouble. Also, I've got ironman out of my system (for a few years) just in time to witness my daughter change from a lump to a funny little toddler with awesome ideas for games to play with Dad.
Congats!
PS: We're due for number 2 in late May. Race you to to the finish!

Anonymous,  11:31 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congrats to the two of you! It will be the most rewarding adventure you will ever have! You guys are really on a trend right now...it seems that everyone and their mother is pregnant. Love the nickname and if it's a girl you could always change the nickname to Miley! HAHA

JenC 11:36 AM, February 03, 2011  

I couldn't help but chuckle at the paper towel theory. I swear we have gone through more paper towels in the last 10 months than in the first 5 years of our marriage! You will use them a lot, because lets face it babies are messy. Anyway, congrats again!

Trisaratops 11:39 AM, February 03, 2011  

I love this, I love Pharmie, and I love you! But not in a stalker way or anything. I swear. :)

Hey, do you think they make a "Wienerland" onesie? I'm on it....

SO excited for you two!!!

Adrienne 11:47 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congratulations, Steve and Pharmie! I ran until 38 weeks pregnant (and possibly ran Boston preggo last year and definitely ran the last half of Providence pregnant) and just delivered a very healthy baby boy!

The Boring Runner 11:57 AM, February 03, 2011  

Congrats again!

Speaking as the dad of an 8 week old - yes, you will blog a little less. I'm finding myself pulled in all sorts of directions.

Ms. R 1:15 PM, February 03, 2011  

I'm so happy the news is out! I'm super excited for you and Pharmie, and happy that she and Miles are healthy! Congratulations :)

Carly 1:48 PM, February 03, 2011  

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for both you and Pharmie!

SixTwoThree 3:12 PM, February 03, 2011  

I'm so excited for you guys! Pharmie looks radiant in her race photos.

Amy 4:31 PM, February 03, 2011  

This is such a girl question. But - Pharmie looks great pregnant. Could you ask her where she gets her black running pants and winter running tops. I want to look that good too. :-)

I'M Tri-ing 4:34 PM, February 03, 2011  

Do you think in Canada the baby's nick-name would be Kilometer? Anyway, I've got 2 girls; a 4 yr old and a 9 month old and there is nothing greater than having them at the finish line with giant smiles and my 4 year old telling me that I did a good job. Maybe some future giveaways will be Bounty paper towels and diapers?

Unknown 4:38 PM, February 03, 2011  

yeah! so excited for you both!

Lani 6:58 PM, February 03, 2011  

Best investment you can make for Pharmie is rolls of her favorite TP for the hospital. I'm serious. Someone told me this before I had my son and boy were they right. Hospital TP is industrial strength NOT what you want after giving birth.

Unknown 8:13 PM, February 03, 2011  

Congrats to you and Pharmie!! You will love parenthood and all the new challenges you will face!!! :)

Pretend this is real 9:58 PM, February 03, 2011  

The "plus" pumpkin is ingenious! I don't think anyone will mind the blog becoming more about training with a family. Life is what happens when you're busy making plans, no? Besides, things are more interesting as we all continue to confront our ever changing lives. Congratulations again!

GoBigGreen 1:14 PM, February 04, 2011  

I know i said congrats in person:) but havent seen you in a bit. Just laughed out loud.
Suzie named her chihuahua: Miles. just an FYI:) ha!
I wanted to name him Cedric, maybe you can name your child CED.
OK :)

CoachLiz 7:35 PM, February 08, 2011  

I cannot wait for the photo of you running on the treadmill with the baby in one of those kangaroo pouch carriers around your chest and the kid spitting up on your shoulder.

CoachLiz 7:35 PM, February 08, 2011  

You will need lots of Bounty for that mess!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.