Marathon Farm Animals: A Change in Plans

>> Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Remember this from the 2007 TC Marathon?



And remember these 2 photos from the 2008 TC Marathon?





The last 2 years, some of Pharmie’s family and I have cheered as farm animals for the runners of the Twin Cities Medtronic Marathon. There’s a little change in plans this year. A big group of her family (brother, sister, aunts, uncles, and a cousin) and I registered in the TC 10 Mile lottery. You can do a group lottery where they will accept all or none of you. And we got in!!

So there will be a bunch of us starting the 10 Mile just before the Marathon starts this year. Among the 10 Mile runners are Matt and I (the Cow and the Cock). My plan is to have my car spotted near the finish line so I can finish the race, get back to the car, change into the Cock outfit, cheer for the rest of the 10 Miler group, and then cheer for all the marathoners running by (the 10 Miler and the Marathon have the same finishline). So the farm animals won’t be at the start and at mile 15 like we were the last 2 years, but we’ll still be rocking Mile 26!! Should be fun!!

Oh, and on that note, I have some goals to share. Right now, my unrealistic goal for the 10 Miler is sub-60. I have a SHOT at it, but we’ll have to see how training goes. (Last week I ran a hard 5 mile tempo in 29:27, but right now I could NOT maintain that pace for twice that distance.) I know I can do sub-65, but I’d like to see just how close I can get to 60 minutes! This should be a fun journey!

17 comments:

jen 7:58 AM, July 21, 2009  

Well cool, you get to race the 10 miler AND cheer on the runners in the costumes! Sounds fun.

Sub 60 would be insane! You're so fast. Good luck!!

The Boring Runner 8:26 AM, July 21, 2009  

NICE! I'm totally looking you up (in the LEAST stalker-ish way possible). I'm pacing a buddy of mine towards a 3:50 finish.

I'll look for the co... err, rooster costume.

Unknown 8:31 AM, July 21, 2009  

How fun! Good luck getting that sub-60!!

Jess 8:38 AM, July 21, 2009  

That would be an incredible pace to pull off! Good luck with the training!

Carolina John 8:40 AM, July 21, 2009  

that's cool bro! get in a race and cheerleading in the same event. sounds like fun.

X-Country2 9:06 AM, July 21, 2009  

So wait, you're running sub 60 IN the farm animal costume? That's 10x as impressive. :o)

Christi 9:08 AM, July 21, 2009  

Good luck on your sub-60 goal!

richvans 3:23 PM, July 21, 2009  

Sub 60 in the cockfit (cock outfit) - now that would be a goal!

sRod 3:43 PM, July 21, 2009  

Whoa. I ran 5 miles in 39 minutes this morning. Good luck to shattering the sound barrier.

Coach Liz 7:04 PM, July 21, 2009  

Sweet! I wish that I could be there to see you Rockin' the Cock at mile 26. Best of luck on the sub 60 10 miler. No Barffing allowed!!!

Missy 2:22 PM, July 22, 2009  

That rocks! Sub60...you're an animal, wait, yeah, you're an animal!

Dr. J 3:25 PM, July 22, 2009  

My editor ran the story without a photo.

Thank you, Steve.

BaddApple 4:02 PM, July 23, 2009  

I'm in the TC 10 Mile. Wow sub 60. Look for the Pirate headband. I'm going for a PR (1:25 goal time) so I will need all the encouragement I can get. I will keep an eye out for you at the end.

Ms. R 8:28 AM, July 24, 2009  

Good luck with your training! I'm so bummed I won't see you guys throughout the race because I'm doing the marathon this year. I'll look forward to mile 26 though!

Anonymous,  9:10 AM, July 27, 2009  

YOu'll have plenty of time to finish your 10 mile, go home, eat lunch, change into costume and probably walk down around the CVA area before Purmort and I even come through on the full marathon. So feel free to continue the tradition of you like. we'll be rolling in right around the 6.5 hr cutoff i imagine.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.