Friday Funny 43: Bamboo Bikes

>> Friday, July 03, 2009

This isn’t “ha ha” funny, but it IS interesting. I think this is old news, but I just heard of it a few days ago. Did you know you can make bike frames out of bamboo? Here’s an article from the BBC a few days ago talking about it. It’s a pretty “green” bike (being bamboo grows so quickly), a bamboo frame only weighs about 4 pounds, and apparently it dampens vibrations better than carbon. This is news to me!!

I thought it was “neat” but maybe a little impractical for road cyclists. But then I came across this image of a bamboo bike ready to race an Ironman:



Man, that’s sleek!

p.s. My heel has been feeling GREAT the last 2-3 days, but I HAVE been taking it easy. (Since Sunday, I’ve only swum once, and that was short.) So I’ll be heading to the “Free to Run 4 Miler” tomorrow at Harriet Island. And I think there’ll be 3 tri club students running it too! Check back Saturday night or Sunday to see how they all did!! (I hope my heel holds up!)

p.p.s. If you came for a “ha ha” Friday Funny, here’s a little something from StuffThatMakesMeChuckle.com:


5 comments:

CoachLiz 8:32 AM, July 03, 2009  

That soup of the day is GREAT!!!

ShirleyPerly 5:03 PM, July 03, 2009  

Ha, I just saw a bamboo bike here in Kona (someone said it was Frank Shorter's). I wonder whose that is?

Trishie 9:27 AM, July 04, 2009  

love that soup of the day !

Unknown 9:40 AM, July 04, 2009  

that bamboo bike is very interesting...and sweet looking too!

RunnerDude 5:32 PM, July 04, 2009  

Bike looks like something the skipper and Gillian would make for Ginger! LOL! Way cool!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.