Getting My A** Out The Door

>> Wednesday, July 08, 2009

This week I’m teaching a week long Digital Photo class for high school students at one of the colleges where I teach. That’s on top of my regular undergraduate Color Theory class. Tuesday and Thursday are the days of overlap. So yesterday, I had 6.5 hours of teaching and entertaining high school kids IMMEDIATELY followed by 3 hours of Color Theory critique/test review/project intro/work time.

And then I had scheduled a bike ride when I got home.

Yeah. Right.

On the drive home, I talked myself out of doing the ride. Twenty minutes later, I had talked myself back in to doing it. A few minutes after that, I had talked myself out of it again. FINALLY, I said I was going to do it, so I got dressed and out the door before I could change my mind again. I was just going to go for a short ride. I was thinking about something that Stefanie recently said on her blog:

I told myself the workout doesn't need to be perfect but I do need to be present.

I figured SOMETHING was better than NOTHING. So I did the River Road / Shepard Road loop once (15.8 miles). I pushed pretty hard for the quick ride, and finished with a 20.1 mph average (which included a nice climb up Ramsey Hill with 4 miles left). Better than nothing. I’ll do a longer ride this weekend, and my training will still be on track.

OWS with the CVA Tri Club at Lake Nokomis tonight at 6 pm! Should be interesting!! I’ll bring my camera, and I’ll have a report tomorrow morning. If you’re a local looking for an OW swim, stop on by at 6!

(p.s. Mark this Saturday on your calendars - I'm doing another simple giveaway. All you need to do is stop by on Saturday and comment on my post. It will only be open to entries on Saturday and Sunday, so MAKE SURE TO STOP BY THIS WEEKEND!!)

15 comments:

Marlene 8:08 AM, July 08, 2009  

I've talked myself in and out of a run over and over on the way home from a long day at work sooo may times! Good job getting out there!

B.o.B. 8:34 AM, July 08, 2009  

So true about just showing up. Once you get out there it's always worth it. I have that fight with myself a lot. I also just talk to myself a lot in general. LOL!

Marie-Claude 8:50 AM, July 08, 2009  

Ha, thanks for this one. I'll have to use it when I need a kick to get my a$$ out of the door, as you say!

Christi 9:03 AM, July 08, 2009  

Way to go Steve!!! It is sometimes hard to get out and do the workout and I have had the same conversations in my head. But you went out and did it and that is why you are a triathlete!

sneakersister 9:33 AM, July 08, 2009  

Nice job getting out there. Sometimes that can be the toughest part of a workout.

Stef0115 11:10 AM, July 08, 2009  

Oh hell YES Steve! I sometimes (often) fall into the trap of thinking I'm the only one who has to talk myself into workouts.

Always glad to know I'm not alone.

And thanks for the quote you are awesome! :-)

Anonymous,  11:20 AM, July 08, 2009  

I have talked myself out and then back in to runs too. Great job being present.

Your kids did an awesome job at the 4 miler.

Regina 11:50 AM, July 08, 2009  

I've had that internal dialog more times than I'd like to admit.

thanks for stopping by my blog. That race is rather enticing, on a glutton for punishment kind of level.

Julia 11:53 AM, July 08, 2009  

The struggle over deciding weather to run/workout or not is like the story of my life. I always go back and forth, back and forth, though more often than not, I end up talking myself into it. Sometimes it's such a mental battle!
It was awesome of you to get out there and ride! woo!

RBR 3:08 PM, July 08, 2009  

I have had so many of these conversations with myself. Great job getting out there after a long day.

Your Tri team's first race was AWESOME! Great job to you all! AS usual, I love the photos!

Jess 3:29 PM, July 08, 2009  

I think we all have these interal debates, but great job getting out there and making something out of nothing!

teacherwoman 3:52 PM, July 08, 2009  

Way to get yourself out there and do it.

Anniversary Moments 5:54 PM, July 08, 2009  

i do this a lot on the days that I want to kick for myself for not getting out of bed to get a workout in - i can't blow it off, but i end up kicking myself because i know at the end of the day i'm still going to do the workout. i like to think i will talk myself out of it one of these days, but who am i kidding? I try to convince myself i will shorten a workout too, but then it never happens.

Kevin 7:08 PM, July 08, 2009  

There have been several times where I had to talk myself back into doing my training. Great job getting it done.

Cant wait to hear what the giveaway is

Taconite Boy 9:26 PM, July 08, 2009  

The games I play to get myself into or out of a work out are amazing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.