A Nice Week of Workouts After a Lazier One

>> Thursday, August 04, 2022

Last week was just a solid week of training. It felt good to get back in the regular swing of things after being at a lake with my family the week before.

MONDAY: long run and good PT leg exercises. This was my first long run with both boys as I posted about 10 days ago! My "pace miles" in the middle of this 11 mile run were just OK (6:23 pace for 6 miles).

TUESDAY: tempo ride and decent upper body. I haven't been out on my bike much this year (opting for the trainer most days), but I got out for 31+ miles with the first 20 being tempo.


The tempo miles ended at split #4.

After the tempo miles ended (20.0 miles in 58:29, or 20.5 mph), I took it a bit more easy the rest of the way home. But those "easy" miles DID include a climb up Ohio Hill (split 5 to 6 in 2:17) followed by a climb up Ramsey Hill (split 7 to 8 in 1:25). So that was a good leg burner!

WEDNESDAY: easy run and good PT legs and core.

THURSDAY: 8x5 min on the trainer and decent upper body. Yep, another trainer ride, but a GOOD one. It was 1 hour and 47 mins of saddle time (which I feel like counts as more on the trainer) and a solid sweaty workout. Looking back 12 months ago, I would do 4 or 5 reps of 5 min efforts, and over the winter I climbed that up to normally 6 to 8 reps!

FRIDAY: 3 mile tempo run and good PT legs and core. After lots of shorter/harder track workouts leading up to the Raspberry Run 1 Mile, I figured I should NOT hit the track again and just find another way to suffer. So a 3 mile tempo was what I did. I didn't feel great starting off, but (after a too fast first split) I was able to drop my 1/2 mile splits:

2:52, 3:03, 3:00, 2:58, 2:56, 2:48 = 17:39.2 (5:53.07/mile pace)


Half mile splits along the river, building to a fast finish.



Honestly, I had hoped to run a bit faster, but those descending splits weren't too bad, and 17:39 isn't bad considering I ran a 17:50 5K about 2 months ago. I need to keep my expectations in check at times. Part of me always expects to be able to do a sub-17:30 5K on a whim. #GettingOlder #GettingSlower

SATURDAY: easy spin and decent upper body.

SUNDAY: long core workout.

In the end, last week looked a lot better than the week before when we were at the lake:


At the lake the week of the 18th, and back to normal last week (week of the 25th).

I left the "weekly totals" in on the right to show the differences:

- Just under 4 hours in the saddle 2 weeks ago vs. over 4.5 hours last week.
- 5 hours of strength work 2 weeks ago vs 9 hours last week.
- 11.8 miles of running (resting after the 1 mile race on the 17th) vs. 22.3 miles last week.

2 comments:

21stCenturyMom 8:02 AM, August 04, 2022  

I just pulled up my very old blogroll RSS feed and there you are - one of the only people still blogging. Warms my heart!

Steve Stenzel 10:23 AM, August 04, 2022  

Ha! Thanks 21stCenturyMom! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.