A Month in my New Garmin Fenix

>> Monday, February 14, 2022

I wore my new Garmin Fenix 6S Pro straight from January 2nd through early February. (I briefly posted about my first full week wearing it a month ago.) I've only been wearing it randomly for the last 2 weeks because our cute kitten Bruce was diagnosed with ringworm about 4 weeks ago, and then I got it under my watch band (the perfect environment for it to grow). But here's some data from a solid 5 weeks wearing it.

The 150 "intensity" minutes suggested per week is a joke for me as I cross that threshold every Monday morning on my long run (just 7 hours into the week):


The week before the 4 shown here was around 1,050 mins as well.

The "body battery" is interesting to watch throughout the day/week. It lets you know when you're getting "drained" and how much more you should do throughout the day. Notice there are 3 pairs of days where my battery doesn't fully "recharge" on this chart, and those are around the days when I got up at 3:45 a.m. to make photos:



My daily high heart rates basically show the workout for the day: the higher ones are runs, the lower ones are bikes, and the lowest ones are rest days. And my resting heart rate over that month was 42 bpm:



It's funny to see the "floors" I've climbed, because it tells a story! First of all, I've noticed it really only counts half of actual "floors," so the daily average it suggests of 10 is really like climbing 20 actual floors. (Many people have noted this issue, and it's really not an "issue.") Here was my chart over 4 weeks:



It's funny when you pair that with what's going on in my life! The 4 days before that were all around 10 floors. So take out those first 2 high days (which was a weekend of going up and down putting away Christmas decorations), and my average for the first 2 weeks or so is around 15 floors or so. Then we got Bruce's diagnosis of ringworm and start a MASSIVE effort to be cleaning the house to keep it under control. My "floors" jump from a 15/day average to more like 25/day overnight:


4 low days before what's seen here, then a BIG jump after cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!!

And what was interesting is that my daily step count has NEVER hit 10,000 on days I don't run. Here you can clearly see my M/W/F runs each week with Monday being my long run day:


I got close to 10K on a Sunday near the middle, but otherwise it's only 12K+ on days I run.

Oh, and I've been interested in the "stress" data that I showed in this post last month on my "photo blog" as it showed me more stressed out while framing work for my upcoming solo exhibition. (Which is about right.)

I have to admit... I DO kind of like seeing step data, sleep data, and floors climbed, but I don't NEED those things. I really only want distance data and splits for workouts. MAYBE I'll start training more with heart rate, but I'm not sold on if I want to do that or not. The main problem is I'm quite cheap, and I don't want to worry about breaking an expensive Garmin by wearing in 24/7 - my old Garmin lasted over 9 years because I just wore it when I ran, biked, or raced! I still really enjoy just wearing a Timex watch where I can use the "chrono" function for keeping track of strength, core, and trainer workouts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.