I was accused of being a Pro Triathlete, and I don't know how to feel about that

>> Saturday, February 10, 2018

Last weekend, I took Charlie to a birthday party for E, a friend of his from the gym who's turing 4. E's Dad and I have chatted briefly in the pool together in the past, and Charlie is always SUPER excited to see if E will be at the gym's daycare when we get there! Also from our gym, J and his Mom were invited. People in the daycare at the gym have referred to E, J, and Charlie as "the three musketeers." It's pretty cute.


All in a line: E (in black), Charlie (in red, drinking), and J
(obscured behind Charlie) during the "happy birthday" song!


E got the first piece (obviously), and he wanted Thomas's face,
so that's what his Mom got for him!

Anyway, we were talking about our jobs, and E's Dad asked me "Are you a professional triathlete?" I laughed and said noooooooo! J's Mom said "Yeah, I think all us parents at the gym think you are..."

I really wasn't sure how to feel about that at first.

Do I come across as an I-NEED-TO-GET-THIS-WORKOUT-IN-OR-ELSE kind of a person? Am I too anal at the gym? Am I "workout before anything else?" I was first very concerned about this perception that these parents have of me at the gym.

Then later I realized it wasn't as bad as I had thought. E's Dad had remarked before that he thinks I'm fast in the pool (even though I'm only swimming like 3:00 200s - I'm "fast" for the 60+ year old overweight crowd that's in the pool at that moment). And I think they thought I was a pro triathlete for 2 main reasons: I'm always in triathlon race shirts (I mean, I have WAY too many), and I'm VERY regularly at the gym (in the pool, on the track, and/or lifting weights [many times doing "unsexy" balance exercises that are for function and not for sexy bulk]).

I didn't want to come across as some overly egotistical triathlete who can't be stopped from getting in his workout, but that wasn't the perception. I do NOT want to become that person. I like to be good at this sport, but I don't want to be an ass.

I think my image at the gym is safe. I hope. :)

3 comments:

Unknown 9:43 AM, February 14, 2018  

Maybe also because you don't have a typical 8-5 job schedule.

Steve Stenzel 1:36 PM, February 15, 2018  

That could be part of it too! Although I'm there working out with other parents who I see regularly, and no one has asked them about being pro triathletes... ;)

Steve Stenzel 1:37 PM, February 15, 2018  

* other parents who also don't have a regular 8-5 job.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.