New Years "Resolutionists?" Ugg...

>> Saturday, January 03, 2015

Your gym may be getting crowded. It's the New Year - it's bound to happen. Here are a few thoughts on that from one of the guys from BeginnerTriathlete.com (where I track my milage) that I posted here a couple of years ago:

We're endurance athletes. We train all year not only outside, but also at the gym and the pool. We can expect some serious crowding in both places for the next few weeks. It happens every year.

Suddenly we have to add 30 minutes to our scheduled gym time because of the "resolutionists". There are no parking places. When you do manage to find one and get to the locker room 10 minutes behind schedule, there aren't any lockers available and the door is blocked by someone trying to remember the way to the weight room. In there, the machines you need to use are all occupied by people in new track suits pushing too much weight with truly horrible form. The bubbler is blocked by someone who is trying hard not to look totally out of their element. You can't get in the pool because it's jammed with people using pull buoys on their arms and kickboards as flotation devices. Half the lanes have people with no goggles and baggy swim trunks down to their knees who can't swim an entire lap.

The whole freakin' place is filled with...with...

beginners.

It's one of my favorite sights. I've never been in a place more full of hope than a gym during the first week of January. It's a place full of people giving action to their dreams. People who for that day are making an effort to be fit, to improve themselves, to live a better quality of life. The effort and courage it takes them to get there that morning is huge. It certainly exceeds what it takes me. I know where everything is. I know the pool etiquette. I know what my workout is going to be and how to use the machines. I'm not the least bit embarrassed to take my shirt off in the locker room. This is routine for me. These new people will be showing a lot of courage and determination by going to the gym in the next few weeks and they'll deserve my respect. They'll get it.

It wasn't that long ago that I was one of them. During the next few weeks I'll be making an effort to help some of these people feel a little less uncomfortable. Maybe make eye contact with some of them, be ready to give a nod or say hello.

Once we're halfway into February, the crowds will be gone. Parking will be easy. Machines will be available again. The wait at the pool will go away. We know this. We're endurance athletes. We know the reward that comes from sticking through the hard parts.

And from helping others through them.

It's good to keep that all in mind.

And on that note, Adam (AKA "The Boring Runner") recently posted something along these lines on Facebook. He's a lot like me: a sassy, somewhat speedy Dad. He seems to be faster at the longer distances, I seem to be faster at the shorter, but I think we're similar overall. I probably have more body hair, but whatever - we can compare chests and asses if we ever meet. ANYWAY, he posted this, which I didn't know about him:



Nice. Follow Adam on Twitter.

Happy New Year, everyone!! Back with my year-end training numbers for 2014 soon.

2 comments:

T 10:45 AM, January 04, 2015  

i'm technically a resolutioner at my gym right now - haven't been in two months!

still, i'm smart and go butt-early in the morning to swim (on the weekends) because no matter what, it will always be slow then. :-D

The Boring Runner 3:41 PM, January 04, 2015  

This is a great post! I really like that people are posting similar things on BT. I'm not sure I would have totally expected it there. It bothers me a lot when people get all huffy about beginners.

Sadly, yes. I'm hairless like a Chihuahua. I think it is because I live in Arizona and have shed my winter coat.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.